Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #41

Re: DYO sporty - lot's of questuions, looking for comments.

Hey willamettevalley - hmmmmm.... this is very timely. I have been talking to Blaine at length this week specifically because their basic 4x4 upgrade package for $12,500 is all Ford F350 and 450 parts which, from a warranty and repair aspect is very appealing to me versus all custom aftermarket parts. I haven't talked to John yet but I'm about to for technical discussion only. I think from a performance aspect the basic upgrade by Quadvan is probably as good as SMB as far as the 4x4 mods and real world usage. I am not a Rubicon big ass rock crawler person but I do go off the off-road, so I think either company is fine.

I plan to go to SMB for the electric PH, solar - haven't decided about interior outfitter mods yet because there is an outfitter that works with Quadvan - Vanspecialities.com. He can do interior work as well as SMB, for cheaper and lighter. He uses aluminim wall sheets and framing for support with sheet metal screws - so I'll work all that. But I like the quadvan front bumper with winch and light bars and rear bumper mods - looks cleaner, lighter than trojan. Weight is a big deal to me.

If I do Quadvan I will add the Ford electronic F350 4H shift on the fly with 2L, locking front axle, roadmaster action suspension springs in rear.

Thx for input - and I love this SMB forum. I will get a van and meet all these crazy SMBer's on the road!

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #42

Warholic and Willamettevalley,
I am a Quadvaner and can only second what you have said. I worked with Eddie Persic last year for my conversion. From the purchase of my van to the completed conversion took 4 weeks. You are right about John....he is a genious and a craftsman and a nice guy but don't ask him how an ARB locker works.
It's an hour long conversation complete with assembly and disassembly demonstrations and phone calls from his wife.
Warholic I have the exact setup you are looking at except for the electric shift. I also opted for dual shocks up front and the roadmasters. I am beyond satisfied with my decision. I'm also not a Rubicon hardcore type off roader but I just did Steel Pass road in Death Valley and except for a couple of dinged rims made the traverse easily.
I plan to stop in Portland next month and visit Quadvan just to tell them how happy I am.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #43

WillametteValley, warholic, Chris; thanks for your feedback.
I am in the study phase and I appreciate reading the details of your post.

I seen and drove a Quigley in 1995 and don't remember much of the details.
WillmetteValley: What points do you find superior with Quadvan?

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #44

The Quadvan drives a lot smoother than a Quigley mostly. The difference is in the parts. Quigley uses mostly Ford parts. Their control arms are their own design. Quadvan uses all Ford parts. Like I said before, the brackets have to be manufactured to connect the 4x4 to the van itself, but other than that, it is all Ford manufacturing. If you get the chance, go to a Ford dealer, there is at least one I know of in the Portland Metro area, that has a Quigley and drive it before you drive a Quadvan. The drive will speak for itself. They will both get you where you want to go, but in my opinion, the Quadvan is a much better system.

Warholic, don't get too caught up in the convenience of the shift on the fly 4x4. Generally, you have to be rolling to get the hubs to lock in that particular system, so if you were to get stuck, then shift into 4H and the front wheels catch before the teeth in the hubs seat, you can shear them off. In my opinion, it makes sense to get manual hubs and if you think you are going to have to shift into 4 wheel drive at some point in your trip just lock the hubs before you take off thus eliminating the chance of shearing the teeth in your hubs. The only down fall is you lose a little fuel mileage because the wheel don't spin as freely. Van Specialties does good work from what I've seen as well. I live in the Portland area, so they are a good resource for any questions that pop up with my van work. I think you'll be real happy with your setup.
WillametteValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #45

Thanks, I am anyhow planning a US round trip to visit the manufacturers before deciding.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #46

Hi,

We'll we are also in the study phase and should be getting aur van in the fall '09.

Diesel or Gas; well we want a Diesel. We are going with a used van, so someelse has taking the large Hit on the Price. Also we are going to go with the 7.3 Powerstroke, since I am not that convinced of the 6.0
Beyond that Parts for the 7.3 are easier to come by here in Europe. Then someday it will get a new cummins Heart, but I'll have to wait.

What to get. Diesel has more torque, which is very nice when you go off the beaten path.

Do go with the one your heart is at Diesel or V10. There is no sence to buy the one or the other because someone said so.

With Lockers, I would get them in the back and then if the wallet permits more then also in the Front. If you are spending the money, go with 100% Locks.

Mike
nalle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #47

The solar panels are a must if for no other reason other than the joy of watching your battery charge from the sun.

Diesel should not even be a question the only negative is the noise.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #48

Again, thx for input from everyone.
Willamettevalley - copy that on the shift on fly 4x4 - don't know if I'll do that.
nalle09 and finn - I wish I wanted diesel because 95% of all the used vans are diesel and I would alrdy have a van. Noise is stopping me from buying a used one. If new, I would buy v10 gas.

i think quadvan is way to go for 4x4 conversion; still working on the outfitter mods - damn! SMB is expensive new.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote