Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #51

I don't see what the big deal is. After all, it's my poo in there (and my families). Use plenty of sanitizer, and plenty of water to keep everything very liquid. RV t.p. breaks down, so it doesn't clog when you empty it, so yes, use it. I empty my Curve into the sewer line clean-out in the yard, and clean it with regular toilet products and a garden hose. A couple thorough rinses, and its odor-free. Wash your hands when you're done.

A PP is a necessary tool in some places (e.g. Canyonlands White Rim Road) where it's not only NPS policy, it's the responsible thing to do (packing out ALL of your waste). It also comes with the territory when rafting long rivers (and believe me, a PP is waaaaay better than ammo cans! Or even River Toilets). Furthermore, as a big-wall climber and alpinist, I've been packing my poo off climbing routes for twenty years - again, it's the right thing to do. Mountaineers all over the country do it regularly, because waste being thrown into glacier crevasses for the past ~100 years is starting to come out the terminus in many places - and contaminating the water. Blue-bag type waste removal systems are required everywhere from Denali, Mt. Rainier, Yosemite, Zion, etc. Many NPS and permit-regulated backcountry river units will "weigh" your containers at the end of your trip, and if they've deemed that you didn't properly pack out, you may be assessed a fine.

And frankly, I've seen so many disgusting things in the front- and back-country woods and deserts that cleaning up my own stuff doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is when I come across someone else's mess in an otherwise pristine place. Do some research - your poo and paper DOES NOT decompose the way you might think!!! Studies have found alarming contaminants in poo buried for countless years.

As a wilderness steward / federal land manager / backcountry enthusiast / environmental protectionist / recreation manager, I would be remiss if I didn't say: STOP POOPING IN THE WOODS! Be responsible for your business. There are way too many people recreating in our parks and forests, and the ecosystem cannot sustain the, ahem, contributions.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Cacti require a careful examination of the clearance to the rear.

Don

An ex-girlfriend of mine ended up contacting poison oak when doing her business. That is definitely something to be avoided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
And frankly, I've seen so many disgusting things in the front- and back-country woods and deserts that cleaning up my own stuff doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is when I come across someone else's mess in an otherwise pristine place. Do some research - your poo and paper DOES NOT decompose the way you might think!!! Studies have found alarming contaminants in poo buried for countless years.

I'll never forget floating in the Tuolumne River while on a rafting trip and turning around only to see a floater about a foot from my head. Definitely from a human source. I felt like I was in the pool scene from
Caddyshack only this was no Baby Ruth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I'll never forget floating in the Tuolumne River while on a rafting trip and turning around only to see a floater about a foot from my head.

Along the same lines, I experienced this this week: I went to a local Pick-n-Pull to get some newer leaf springs for my van. Found a nice looking 07 E350 passenger van wrecked on the front end. When I looked in the back door I saw (and smelled) that somebody had taken a dump inside in the back corner. Beyond bad junkyard etiquette. And even if they had to do it, there were several cargo vans right next to it without the nice carpeted interior that they could have used. Ugh.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #55

This thread is really going to crap. I'm going to have to stop having breakfast while browsing.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
The RH is just a glorified bucket with a comfortable seat and a lid. Nothing special, but 40 bucks, and it does the job.
https://www.rei.com/product/100547/r...ortable-toilet
$19 on Amazon, looks like a great option: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...dp/B000FIDZLI/
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #57

Garage
Since RV toilet paper has been referenced several time on this thread, I have to call your attention to this delightful and interesting video on toilet paper by James and Baby of the Fit RV.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #58

We have a Theford Curve. The first one we had issues with and as previously said they wanted $100 for a new switch. Bought a second one and have had no issues. I have never used the thing but my wife refuses to go outside for #1 in Bear county even if we are not in Bear county at night alone, so I have to get up and hold the flashlight for her. I will put up with emptying the pot not to have to get up! No issues cleaning and use double amount of chemical that is recommend as well as use RV TP.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #59

I read about Charmin years ago and it has become our go to. The ladies like it in the house too so we don't have to alter our usual shopping for camping. Charmin is all around good stuff, just not the cheapest.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I read about Charmin years ago and it has become our go to. The ladies like it in the house too so we don't have to alter our usual shopping for camping. Charmin is all around good stuff, just not the cheapest.

Ha! That is too funny. My wife insists on it too. And it has to be the ultra soft, not the ultra strong. In boy scouts, we really did use leaves. In fact, tender new magnolia leaves are supple and covered with soft velvet on the underside. That was actually nice. As a mountaineering instructor, we always just used snow in the winter. Talk about cold! Burr.

Usually when backpacking, I try to take some of the stuff that biodegrades faster than the usual TP.

BTW, if you are ever in critically short supply (like....out of it), and send someone else to the market with a shopping list, don't abbreviate toilet paper with TP. They might just come back with tooth paste instead. Don't ask me how I know that!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote