Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #41

I had a pack rat problem. I found that SMB had left some big holes around the water piping from the water heater. I made some sheet steel patches to close off the holes under the van. I also found rats nesting inside the air cleaner. I installed a 1/2" hardware cloth screen in the intake behing the beadlight bucket. Finally, I store the van with the hood open.

cmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #42

My friend bought a used Class C RV from an older man. The previous owner had added LED lights under the hood as he claimed it deterred mice if left on when stored or camping. Not sure if it works or not, but interesting idea.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #43

I found this yesterday when changing the oil cooler in the minivan.

The critters love insulation buried in, on, and around engines.

I contemplated leaving a few pieces of vermin poison in the V of the engine. Not so great with dogs around if they find a piece of it dropped by Mickey and friends.

After plugging holes, the best way to keep the critters out is to leave the hood ajar and to park on coarse gravel.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_131257.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	36974
Old 11-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #44
A2Z

Anyone figured out how/where mice are getting into econoline sportsmobiles? Is there a common weak area they enter through? Thanks
A2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #45

Mice are very talented, and they can sqeeze through a hole the size of a penil. The likelihood of plugging all holes is slim. The ultrasonic plug-in repellers seem to work pretty well. You can also librally spray deer repellent all around; the mice do not like mint in the spray. You may have to reapply once a week. Sticky traps. Fox urine. And, a pencil coated with vasoline suspended by sewing, and peanut butter on the tip, suspended over a 10 gallon bucket of water.

Mike
MikeChapelHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z View Post
Anyone figured out how/where mice are getting into econoline sportsmobiles? Is there a common weak area they enter through? Thanks

I would also like to know.

If anyone has identified any entry points and how to block these, please share.

This is what I have come across in the past (suggestions, not necessarily confirmed entry points):
1. From engine compartment to under the dash (but where?). I think this is how mice are getting into our van, but I don't know where).
2. Doors (not sealing well enough).
3. Rear tail lights and wiring holes to outside (I checked on my 1997 E350, but there does not seem to be enough space next to wires that go outside... there are large holes into interior, but that is not an entry point from outside).
4. Entry points for utility lines (water, propane etc). This is a likely big one, but in our case this is not the problem.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #47

Leds not working

I previously posted about my LED system in the SMB, Tacoma and Subaru. I left for a month in the SMB, with my better half at home turning the lights on at night in the Tacoma and Subaru.

There was a serious infestation in the Tacoma. After cleaning it out, a few days later I found more urine and feces on and under the lights. There is nothing in the Subaru.

I'm now leaving the hoods up and found a rat scurrying around the Tacoma engine today, at noon.

I'm taking a short break from this war to reconsider - probably, a multi-dimensional approach with bags of smells and a flame thrower. I'd prefer to prevent and not harm, but I'm not a pacifist.
Easy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #48

They can squeeze through a opening as small as an pencil eraser. My I had a lil Scion XB that was my pride & joy and left it at my friend's house (avacado farm) for 6 months. Bring from the suburbs...it never occurred to me....
Well I have no idea to this day how they got in but somehow managed to get up and go through the a-pillars and create nets between the roof and the headliner.... Then they ate their way through the headliner and came down into the car and utterly destroyed it with urine they even are the shift handle and the steering wheel.
Lil FKRS..... It is a damn well built car to I just can't figure out where they ever got in... As I mentioned before my friend has a fairly new GMC diesel four-wheel drive crew cab truck sitting on 40 inch tires.... Somehow they managed to get into his cam and ate some of his leather seats.....
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #49

If you are storing your van long term, a quick blast of bear spray in certain areas will keep the critters away for quite some time. It's what we use to do when we worked in remote areas and there were a lot of critters looking for food or a place to nest.

Obviously there is a some risk involved in this, you are going to want to wear PPE. You can gently spray (from a distance) the engine bay and the under carriage. Make sure all your vents are closed first and you will want run the air on the van for a bit before using it again.

Funny Story: When I use to work in Lake Louise, someone thought BEAR SPRAY was a repellant and proceeded to liberally apply to themselves and their family. Their vacation was not off to a good start lol.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #50
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Funny Story: When I use to work in Lake Louise, someone thought BEAR SPRAY was a repellant and proceeded to liberally apply to themselves and their family. Their vacation was not off to a good start lol.
OMG that'd ruined my entire year!

I wonder if you sprayed a circle of that material around the parked vehicle would that work to keep critters away? Does it evaporate away and lose its effectiveness?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice, storage