Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
You won't get any factory installed van windshields from Colorado they only last a year or 2 here. Lol
Amazingly my 1996 Econoline still had an original front glass here in Colorado. The windshield in the 2020 Transit lasted all of 5 months before it turned to a spiderweb of cracks.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:09 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Then there was this one... its not a DW1504 but it still has the black spot.
On the topic of DW1504's I've not yet discovered if that version had the black splotch I'm avoiding as part of its regular production. I have that exact windshield in my 2005 which does not have it in place. FWIW once the black border. printing and the spoltch are on the glass there's no way to remove it. Trust me I've tried.........and tried.

Quote:
Then this one.... My guess is this is the one youre looking for?
The first set i posted, the DW1292 has no black spot or mirror for that matter, but its obviously an after market windshield.
Yes any version of a E-Series windshield without that black spoltch is what I'm seeking. The DW1292 did come from the factory as you show ScrapIron.

Quote:
This one is a DW1175 and there was another van there with this same DW1175 and no black spot.
The DW1175's were factory installed beginning 1992 and running through 1997, was replaced by the DW1292 which had "solar tinting". That's a bit of a gimmick because that adds a measley 4% solar rejection over the DW1175's so not a huge selling point. Another FWIW from 2003 until the full sized E-Series stopped production in about 2013 the "solar tinting" did not add any more solar rejection.

Great images and info guys & gals---I knew this was the place to ask!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
On the topic of DW1504's I've not yet discovered if that version had the black splotch I'm avoiding as part of its regular production. I have that exact windshield in my 2005 which does not have it in place. FWIW once the black border. printing and the spoltch are on the glass there's no way to remove it. Trust me I've tried.........and tried.

Yes any version of a E-Series windshield without that black spoltch is what I'm seeking. The DW1292 did come from the factory as you show ScrapIron.

The DW1175's were factory installed beginning 1992 and running through 1997, was replaced by the DW1292 which had "solar tinting". That's a bit of a gimmick because that adds a measley 4% solar rejection over the DW1175's so not a huge selling point. Another FWIW from 2003 until the full sized E-Series stopped production in about 2013 the "solar tinting" did not add any more solar rejection.

Great images and info guys & gals---I knew this was the place to ask!

Do you still need this ? I am the Original owner of my 1996. IT has the OEM windshield. Let me know Exactly what you need a Pic of I am happy to help you out.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #24
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Do you still need this ? I am the Original owner of my 1996. IT has the OEM windshield. Let me know Exactly what you need a Pic of I am happy to help you out.
That year might not be too helpful however I'd be glad to see your logo none the less---if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks Vanzila!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Hey all---about to drive myself crazy seeking a windshield originally fitted to a 1997 through 2004 Ford E-Series----those parameters are very important to this hunt.

It simply HAS to be an originally installed from the factory which are varying degrees of different from those I can easily obtain in my glass business. If you have such a beast I'd ask for an image of the permanently affixed logo showing various bits of information including a Ford or Carlite brand, a part number and some DOT numbers that will be present but not of interest for this project.

Along with the logo an image of the interior rear view mirror mount, the mirror itself can be in place or not---its the metal button and its surrounding area. Ideally this image would be taken outside the van looking at the RVM and/or button.

This would be soooooooooo VERY helpful for what I'm up to---details of that readily available to anyone interested even if its just pure curiosity.

TIA!

J W

Try this. 1996 OEM
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210530_1125230.jpg   IMG_20210530_1128152.jpg   IMG_20210530_1130421.jpg  
Old 05-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #26
JWA

That's very helpful---it shows and suggests the "DW" numbers I thought automatically signaled an aftermarket replaced windshield. Since your W/S is original to the van perhaps that's not always the case.

Leave it to Ford to do something different for the E-Series than their other models.

Thanks again Vanzila---really appreciate the effort and help!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #27

https://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
That's very helpful---it shows and suggests the "DW" numbers I thought automatically signaled an aftermarket replaced windshield. Since your W/S is original to the van perhaps that's not always the case.

Leave it to Ford to do something different for the E-Series than their other models.

Thanks again Vanzila---really appreciate the effort and help!

So, it was Built in Late 1995 as the new Model year 1996 with OBD II I waited and ordered it as such also with Ford RV package. I think its really a 1995 1/2 Go Figure.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #29
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
So, it was Built in Late 1995 as the new Model year 1996 with OBD II I waited and ordered it as such also with Ford RV package. I think its really a 1995 1/2 Go Figure.
It would be interesting to know if the half-year thing would apply now that VIN's are more widely used for mass produced vehicles?

Once upon a time any vehicle built during September was technically the following year's number. These days the Ford VIN's contain that info in the last eight digits, for example my 2003 E-250 is 3HB10727. "3" being the year built, "HB" meaning it was produced in the second half of that model year and "17027" would be the van's serial number.

I want to say that numbering scheme begin in 2002 because my 2000 E-250's last eight is: YHA02937. Door tag says built September of '99. The 2003 built March of '03. Not sure what all that means to this discussion but interesting in its own way---maybe?!