Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #21

Thanks Brian -- all great feedback and advice -- I've got a lot more confidence heading into this now -- Rick

rickschwolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
We debated on how to add a shower to our plumbing system, but decided to go another way.

We tried the gravity feed bag showers, but not enough pressure, and you have to find something high to hang it from.

So, we got the Helio pressurized shower and have loved it.

Attachment 34426

https://www.rei.com/product/882468/n...ressure-shower

We fill the bag with hot water from our sink and pump it up. We use about 2 gallons water and that is plenty of hot water with the pressure from the nozzle. We could also fill it up from other sources if available.

For privacy we use a shower tent. This one has been awesome, but there are many options available.

Attachment 34425

A big advantage over an attached external shower is we can pick our spot where we set up the shower, so we don’t have a muddy spot by the van door.
Rich, it sounds like you've more or less made up your mind to do a fixed plumbed shower. I get that but I've done both and my exact set up now is CTHayn's set up. Shower shelter with a helio bag, total cost about $150. We MUCH prefer it to being right beside the van, or for me lately, truck.

I have added outdoor showers to vehicles including my old SMB. I have dealt with finicky propane instant hot water heaters. Never again. I love the simplicity of the above setup. It takes me a few minutes to add a boiling kettle of water to my already preheated Helio bag and it is truly a consistently warm and sufficiently pressurized shower. Much better than any van setup I've dealt with, and it can be used anywhere.

All of the fixed mounted ones I've had leaked, had to be winterized, etc.

YMMV.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #23

Thanks for the reality check -- I've looked at that also -- I guess I've been trying to consolidate how much gear we have to carry and set up. We don't have a water heater so the Helio makes sense that way -- and we already have a privacy tent. I've also been looking at the battery powered submersible pumps with hand-held shower head that can be dropped into one of our extra water tanks anywhere. But haven't been impressed with what I'm seeing on the Web. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Rick
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #24

Garage
Another advantage of a separate shower reservoir, is you can use nonpotable water without contaminating drinking water.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #25

Copy that! make life a lot easier -- thanks!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #26

Garage
Might also reach out for member CarlParr - He has a very cool setup as well (may find some Pic's in his album...or PM him). Completely mobile & compact, and sets up very quickly.
If I remember correctly he has a small portable water heater that runs off a propane cylinder which essentially delivers instant hot water. Sets it all up inside one of those outdoor portable shower tents. Believe he also uses a pan on the ground that collects the water - water is filtered and reused - extending the life of each gallon of water.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #27

Great - thanks - will do
Old 07-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #28

I added an outside shower (mainly used for rinsing dishes) by tapping into the water line just downstream of the pump. So far everything has been working as planned.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
P1020473.jpg  
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #29

Thanks Jim -- I appreciate you taking the time to respond -- I was hoping you all were finding this as a good option -- what a great forum! Rick
Old 07-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #30

We use a privacy tent with 4.7 gal. Big Kahuna shower. https://bigkahunashowers.com/shop/
We usually set it up right next to the side barn doors on the patio mat. Those polypropylene patio mats are awesome because you can stand on them and the water flows right through. Only downside is you have to heat some water.. not a big deal to us.
Econoliner is offline   Reply With Quote