Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

Questions on Brake Upgrades

I have a 2014 SMB on a 2013 E350. I’m the second owner, and I’m really confused about the spec’s provided by SMB. It has a Dynatrac Front Axel (Pro Rock 5500 lb Rated). The spec’s for the front brakes show:

Brake Calipers/Pads: 2008 E-350
Brake Rotors: 1995 - 98 Ford F350/Auto Specialty AR8553/Dynatrac #DA601125-D

There is no spec’s for the rear brakes, so I’m assuming they’re 2013 E350.

First question, does this all sound right? Next question, I’m approaching needing to do a brake job, the current system is not great, and I’m looking for recommendations on upgrades that would improve the performance.

I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Surf Moia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Sounds about right on the front, but no way of telling until you have a shop confirm.
Yes, rears are most likely stock.
What size wheels are you running? If you’ve got 17’s, you can source what’s called a big brake kit, several are available.
I’m running 16’s and went with new slotted rotors, not a big brake upgrade from Frozen Rotors and have run Hawk and Napa Premium pads, I had to have the rotors drilled out for 8X6.5 to match, I also have SS braided brake lines and have replaced my rears with stock rotors and a premium pad, all of this provided better braking power, still probably a step or 2 below what a big brake kit up front can do though.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #3

REF, Thanks for the feedback. I have 17” wheels, so I’m going to look into the Big Brake options. Also, changing to SS braided lines is a great idea. Thank you.
Surf Moia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Moia View Post
I have a 2014 SMB on a 2013 E350. I’m the second owner, and I’m really confused about the spec’s provided by SMB. It has a Dynatrac Front Axel (Pro Rock 5500 lb Rated). The spec’s for the front brakes show:

Brake Calipers/Pads: 2008 E-350
Brake Rotors: 1995 - 98 Ford F350/Auto Specialty AR8553/Dynatrac #DA601125-D

There is no spec’s for the rear brakes, so I’m assuming they’re 2013 E350.

First question, does this all sound right? Next question, I’m approaching needing to do a brake job, the current system is not great, and I’m looking for recommendations on upgrades that would improve the performance.

I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks.
That's odd and does not sound right. I would think that on a 2014 that SMB would have spec'd the bigger brakes. In 2008 they went to F-450 rotors on front. The part # you list is for the rotors is pre-2008 or a 13" rotor. This is the part # for the 14.5" rotor. DA60-1125-AS. There is no SMB West anymore and they did the 4x4 conversions so where did you get the part's spec?

The fact that you have 17" wheels doesn't mean anything other than you can upgrade to the bigger rotors and calipers because of the additional clearance.

Anyway, assuming you have the smaller rotors you are always going to get more bang for the buck with bigger rotors no matter what brake caliper you use. If you have the bigger rotors already then what REF mentions above will help but it's not going to be a game-changer. ie., stainless lines, hawk brake pads, etc.

I did the big brake upgrade if you want to go that route but it's not cheap because you need bigger steering knuckles and hubs for the brake calipers. Anyway, thread here with links to other helpful brake threads. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ade-26682.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote