Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

Shocks recommendation

Hi all, 02 Ford e350 SMB with Quigley 4x4 yada, yada you all know…

I have these old shitty shocks and want to upgrade the ride to something more modern. Can anyone tell what these are? All i see are gas-a-just label. Any recommendations for upgrades? I searched the forum, but not much luck

Thanks

D
Attached Thumbnails
70F2F206-D111-4297-B704-815723D5CFD6.jpg  

Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #2

Garage
I've been looking at a shock upgrade as well. IIRC Gas A Just is a KYB brand. My research returns the following ranking, best to worst.

Fox with tuning
Koni
Bilstein
KYB
OEM
Monroe

Koni has an RV shock that gets good reviews for heavier RVs
Bilstein Comfort model gets good reviews here
KYB may make the OEM shocks and gets good reviews for quality
Monroe is universally scorned as cheap shit.

I'm planning to use Bilstein as a good balance of cost vs handling.

If I had 4x4 and wanted to go fast over jeep trails I would strongly consider tuned Fox. Quigley could recommend a shock if yours isn't modified.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #3

Garage
Hey Bay_Area,

Since you've got a 2002 you may want to do more upgrading than just shocks. If you haven't looked at an Agile RIP (Ride Improvement Package) I would recommend going that route. For around $3000 (installed) you'll get all new Fox shocks, new Fox steering stabilizer, new front coils and a replacement add-a-leaf for the rear. I few years ago, I went with just new shocks and ended up with the full RIP a year later...

Many on this forum decide to just delete the rear add-a-leaf from agile and go with a progressive leaf pack in order to ditch the lift block.

If you do decide to go with new shocks only - the Agile Fox "tuned" versions work great on these vans and can be purchased through either Agile or WeldTech.

One last thing, If you were having trouble searching this site for information on shocks try using Google instead... Type in something like "shocks site:sportsmobileforum.com" and you'll find numerous posts.

Best of luck and cheers.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

Greetings Bay Area -

I picked up a 2002 E350 V10 back in Dec 2020 - I installed the RIP Kit back in March 2021 - which included front and rear Fox shocks (tunable - Version 4). I found that the Version 4's were a bit too "soft" for my van (front end) - so bought new Fox Version 5's from Agile for front end. I think my Version 4's have maybe less than 4,000 miles on them. I did not install the new Version 5's on rear end. So - I was thinking of putting the V-4's on this forum for sale. I've got to calculate what the V-4's would go for "slightly" used -- if your interested ? ANYBODY from the forum know what the V-4's would go for ? Full set of the V-5's cost me $ 725 from Agile including shipping.

The original V-4 Fox shocks were $ 350 per each set from the RIP Kit. Any interest ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:23 AM   #5

Fox kit

I’d be interested depending on price and condition

To clarify are you selling the whole RIP kit, just front shocks or all 4?

DM me please w/deets

Thanks
Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #6

I also bought custom tuned Fox shocks for my Sprinter van that worked great. They asked for my exact van weights from a scale and then tuned them to that weight. I don't recall if they were a specific version. I think I paid about $300-350 for the pair of rear shocks. I had planned to upgrade the rear springs but didn't feel the need after installing the shocks. I think getting them tuned to the proper weight is important to provide the most benefit.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

Not the whole RIP Kit - just slightly used front Version 4 shocks - and brand new/never mounted rear shocks.

Used front shocks (maybe 4,000 miles) - fair price would be $275 plus ship -- new/never mounted V-5 rear shocks - fair price of $ 350 plus ship. I'd need to know your address to get a ship quote -- and you'd have to tell me what ship method - FEDEX Ground or UPS Ground probably cheapest. I could do a Postal Money order or PayPal - I don't do Zell or any other pay method. Send me a PM with details if you want to proceed.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #8

Bay Area -- I'm near Atlanta --
Old 04-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #9

Garage
When I did my rip kit all it consisted of was custom valved shocks, swaybar spacer, and moog springs. Bought the springs local, made my own spacer, and ordered the v1 shocks from agile. Best purchase for the van so far as far as making it more stable at high speeds. IMHO, it’s silly to buy off the shelf shocks when there is a custom option for the quigleys. Well, let me rephrase that. So long as the price point is relatively close to a non custom valved shock. I know they have gone up a lot in price since I bought mine.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #10

Bay Area -- send me your zip code thru "private message" again - thanks -