Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #31

Re: Sportsmobile posts photo of 2011 Nissan Conversion

Dodge-badged Ducato is coming. I'm not sure I would call it attractive. In fact, I think I'd choose the Nissan over it.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Sorry Brent, I hate all of them. They all look so euro I'd rather lift and stick a PH on this
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp gm 50.bmp (27.1 KB, 180 views)

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #33

The more photos you guys post, the more I love my E350. I'm with Ford_6L_E350, I'll change out the engine, tranny, and everything else before I buy one of those minimum clearance eurovans. Makes me glad I got my rig when I did.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #34

Here's the upcoming replacement for the Caravan C/V, which will compete directly with the Transit Connect (Ford really just needs to drop the "Transit" from the small van so its less confusing), and the Nissan NV200.

Fiat Doblo:
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #35

Sportsmobile posts photo of 2011 Nissan Conversion

My God, what's the world coming to! I was trying to be sensitive and not bash anyone's van choice, but these are all ugly as hell! I'm just now getting used to the 1st generation Sprinter too. I saw one at work parked right next to a new one, and the old one looks great in comparison. We're doomed.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #36

The dodge badged Ducato looks like someone hit it with the ugly stick and gave it a fat lower lip. That's my opinion of course. Maybe I'm just getting old and like the look of the old things.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #37

how different are these new van styles from the old classic Eurovan?
to me that was the iconic camper for a long time and had a pretty good "cool" factor.
never owned one but did camp in one for a weekend and thought it was great.

if you're looking for a van that you can park in the garage and don't want/need more than two seats up front (driver and passenger) and all the airbags and cupholder crap that's loaded behind the two front seats on today's soccer mom vans, then what are your options? and getting decent gas mileage like 25mpg is a big plus. For me, utility trumps gnar value. maybe I'm just getting too f'n old. probably should have posted this on some AARP forum instead

everyone's comments are very entertaining
Attached Thumbnails
eurovan.jpg  
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #38

The Eurovan was never a 'classic' camper van. The older Westfalia Vanagons were that, but they have the more traditional van boxy look. Just a little small and underpowered for us. Upgraded with Subaru power and for solo camping they are great.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #39
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The Eurovan was never a 'classic' camper van. The older Westfalia Vanagons were that, but they have the more traditional van boxy look. Just a little small and underpowered for us. Upgraded with Subaru power and for solo camping they are great.

Mike
Our Westy was a dream after our old school German mechanic (named Karl, of course) bored the block for Porsche pistons and lowered the rear axle ratio. It could climb to the Eisenhower tunnel at 50 mph + and tractor in 1st gear on back country roads. Then we took it to the Midwest in July without changing winter weight oil. We discovered our mistake in 100 degree weather in Kearny, Nebraska and bought a new engine in Lincoln.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
how different are these new van styles from the old classic Eurovan?
to me that was the iconic camper for a long time and had a pretty good "cool" factor.
never owned one but did camp in one for a weekend and thought it was great.

If you're looking for a van that you can park in the garage and don't want/need more than two seats up front (driver and passenger) and all the airbags and cupholder crap that's loaded behind the two front seats on today's soccer mom vans, then what are your options? and getting decent gas mileage like 25mpg is a big plus. For me, utility trumps gnar value. maybe I'm just getting too f'n old. probably should have posted this on some AARP forum instead

everyone's comments are very entertaining
Heck, I respect your (and other similar) views. When I originally started my project I actually had the idea of comfort over beauty and looked at some RV type vehicles. But access into places to get away from people began to trump comfort. Low riding vehicles like the Roadtrek were not going to cut it. And although Roadtrek soon offered a 4x4 or all wheel drive option, they just were not going to be able to make some of the drives I intended to take my next new vehicle on. Anybody can custom order a SMB without the gnar value that is more than capable to take on some heavy duty trails. Sure installing heavy duty bumpers, winches and the like make the vehicle look good to some, but you need to factor in the usefulness of these options. Just like a hilift jack, really they are just tools added to get you to where you want to go. Take the awning for instance. In truth I wish I had never put one on my van. I rarely use it and it gets in the way quite a bit and is ugly IMO. Sometimes I have to get out and cut limbs so I can get through the trail. But many folks who go camping they think it's one of the best options on their rigs. When I do use mine it is handy but do I need the anti-gnar value of it? Nope, I can throw a tarp up and do the same thing.

The original thread started as pictures of the high top Nissan and although I think it's ugly and it's PH brother not so ugly, I'm so disappointed that vehicle manufactures can't come up with a non-euro look.
As far as function, I would say for an off road vehicle my van does a great job. For plain old camping, I'd say the Nissan probably preforms quite well, while a Sprinter does even better.

A new member just posted in the homebuild section wanting a smaller version of an SMB. Check out these guys.

Overland Vans

Yep, it's got the gnar look but might be what many want as compared to a larger SMB
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote