Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2023, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
One more thing.......V10's have a beefier/more desirable transmission than the V8's. The gas mileage between the two is similar, with the 5.4L getting a little bit better mileage.
This. You mention 2 passes at high elevation in the mountain west. The extra gear in the trans, plus the extra torque of the V10, make a huge difference at altitude. I've test driven 2 V8s, one stock gearing, one with 4.10s, and the end result was I bought a V10 both times. I'm also averse to just putzing along in the right lane, so if that's your speed - the V8 will do just fine.

I know this is a Ford centric forum, but it sounds like you might want to check out some of the Chevy options too. 2010 and up will have the 6 spd trans which is a real nice bonus, plus they tend to get a bit better mpg overall. Or if you go diesel, the 6.6L is more modern than the 7.3, and not as problematic as the 6.0. There is or was a nice lifted 2wd SMB build for sale around here for ~$65k IIRC.

Edit: here it is: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/r...653543564.html

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your feedback and very good advice. I have read through the comments a few times now. I was able to look at a (incredibly nice) 4x4 over the weekend and as tempting as it is, I realized it is probably a bit overkill for my needs, which seems to match up with some of the feedback here. I'm thinking a 2wd RB50 w/ a small lift, potentially a LSD, and some really solid tires + chains for the winter is going to do me well for most anything I'd be wanting to get into.

For me one way of looking at it has been that it's more about getting to the trailheads (FS roads) and through the mountain passes safely, most of my exploring is done on foot/bike or skis. That is my main objective, not to go 4 wheeling or to get to a campsite in the middle of nowhere (though that does sound kinda nice).
slappy sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:44 PM   #13

What is the buy-in? 4x4 costs more, but as long as you can pay cash or make the nut, you won't lose your butt on the deal.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote