Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
We use ss autobolt as extra locks on all doors. Thieves can still break a window, but even when they crawl in through the window, they still can't open any door (unless they discover a secret hidden override that allows you to unlock the bolts when inside the van). Installation costs were high though; if you can get it to people who have experience with installing the system it is best.
These Autobolt's have come up a couple times now in similar threads and I've seriously considered installing. All variations seem to come with just one manual override - since you have it installed already i'd like to ask if you're aware if the "secret hidden override" is only located inside the Van?, or can you have them installed both inside and outside?
I'm clear on the necessity of the manual release, but it would only make sense if it were available from both sides.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #12

For ss autobolt

From inside:

You can have the manual override on the inside for each bolt if you so choose, or just one.
This is essentially pulling on a steel cable (thin). This is mechanical, not electric.

From outside:

1. From the outside, you can hide a 9V battery terminal (in case car battery is dead).
Take a 9V battery (you can hide this somewhere on outside van) and connect battery to the terminal (normally this terminal is hidden, and well protected against the elements (plastic/tape) just pull it out of its hiding area when you need it).
2. Also consider hiding extra batteries for the remote control fob with lock and unlock buttons (need to be accessible from outside).

This is still based on electric and radio signal, not mechanical.

I have had the locks for about 6 months now.
I like them, no issues.
But, the installation was labor intensive and costs me far more than I had projected.
Then again, if it helps prevent theft of items or the vehicle, it was money well spent.

I don't know if I am right, but I like mechanical barriers to theft better than just an alarm.

Hope this helps.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Garage
I can't seem to locate installation instructions for the auto-bolt - Marcel Huijser can you share them?
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #14

I will look... they sent it with the order, They were pretty helpful on the phone though when I asked for info
Old 01-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #15

Garage
Thanks Marcel Huijser for the reply. Have clarity now - hadn't seen anything mentioned about the 9V on the outside.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #16

The only thing we did to our van for our 4 year trip through the Americas is add Jimmi Jammers. No extra locks, no alarm, no Ravelco, no pit bull (a dog is the best deterrent in Latin America), no light bars, no infrared satellite tracking zombie neutralizers, nothing. We did, however, lock valuables away and left nothing that indicates value in sight. We also paid for parking whenever we felt it was needed. Point is, we used our heads and saved the money for the trip itself.

We can’t guarantee you will not come back to a smashed window or pried lock, the ways everyone we know who experienced a break-in. Jimmi Jammers and 3M smash resistant tint (can be done cheaply in Mexico) would cover most instances. The best tool you have is your head, trust your instincts.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
We use ss autobolt as extra locks on all doors. Thieves can still break a window, but even when they crawl in through the window, they still can't open any door (unless they discover a secret hidden override that allows you to unlock the bolts when inside the van). Installation costs were high though; if you can get it to people who have experience with installing the system it is best.
I'd highly recommend the latest iteration of The Auto Bolt products---I had the earlier versions that were light years behind what they're now offering. When one failed there was no known way to release them---huge problem as you might suspect.

I sought another type deadbolt lock system which allowed me to add a hidden manual defeat feature. Should one of the locking solenoids fail or even a dead battery I can access the areas protected by the deadbolts.

Deadbolt lock installation can be labor-intensive as alignment of the lock and strike is critical. Its completely a DIY project but its not a 1 or 2 hour job. Parts would cost the usual user about $300, hired-out labor costs greatly varying depending who you'd use and how involved integration into the van you want to go. I've done this three times now and it does get "easier" each time out but in all honesty my biggest challenge was the alignment issue---I'd like to think I have that solved to some degree by now.

I have mine triggered only by the aftermarket alarm---they don't engage unless or until I arm the system. Normal door lock/unlock function is retained so there's no loss of convenience. If using an aftermarket alarm it should be able to integrate the deadbolt operation into its operation---whoever installed the alarm would be the best source of help here.

My van is now 99.9999999% protected from unauthorized entry though the side and rear doors, the front doors still unprotected. That's not an issue because all my valuables are behind the front seats and separated from the rear with a partition of sorts. I'll be installing a Ravelco system soon which should address the issue of the entire van being stolen and parted out somewhere.

Anyway seriously consider the deadbolt locks regardless whose system you use. Here's an alternative to The Auto Bolt---these would be my second choice were I to do this again (and currently what I have installed): https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_dead.htm

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #18

I'm planning to add mechanical, keyed deadlocks to all the doors of my Sprinter van. Unfortunately, while there are plenty of places in the UK to have such work performed, I'm having the devil of a time finding anyone in the US that is willing to do it.

The deadlocks I am planning to install are made by Locks 4 Vans (L4V) and I've contacted them. They are unaware of any US installers, but do sell internationally and claim that their instructions are easy to follow. I'd rather have an experienced outfitter perform the installations though as it does require cutting into the van in a number of places.

If I were wealthy I'd just pay to fly one of the installers from Sussex Installations over from the UK since they know what they are doing and have plenty of examples up on YouTube.
https://www.sussexinstallations.co.u...printer-1.html
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #19

Quote:
I will look... they sent it with the order, They were pretty helpful on the phone though when I asked for info

I think the instructions were thrown out after the installation, sorry!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #20

Why not just get a Ravelco?

Currently about $600 installed - depends on your local installer

one review here:

Theft-proof your vehicle—really — Exploring Overland
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote