Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #41

I see many mentions of how a heavier vehicle would affect the TrueTrac's ability to function properly, but I'm having trouble understanding why the weight of the the vehicle would play a role here. Would anyone care to help explain this to me?

The LSD operates based on the difference in rotational speed between the left and right wheels. Let's say there were 2 vans with identical rear axles, one van weighing 6k lbs and the other weighing 12k lbs. If they both make a turn on pavement, following the same arc/radius, they will have the same difference in rotational speed between the left and right wheels. So the LSDs will be experiencing the same speed difference in both scenarios, right?

What am I missing here?

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #42

Garage
It should not matter. I've also read plenty that tires 35" and over cause a problem also. Just as many have no issues and don't notice it with a heavy rig and 35" tires. I'm convinced this current run of dana 60 units has a manufacturing issue.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
It should not matter. I've also read plenty that tires 35" and over cause a problem also. Just as many have no issues and don't notice it with a heavy rig and 35" tires. I'm convinced this current run of dana 60 units has a manufacturing issue.
Thanks for clarifying. Glad I'm not crazy!

I have a TrueTrac going into the front Dana 60 on my UJOR build. I'm wondering how I should test that to see if I have any issues. Maybe I'll keep the transfer case in 2WD, but lock the front hubs and try turning tight circles on pavement. That way i'll get the speed differential between the front 2 wheels, but wont get the front-to-rear binding that one might expect with the transfer case in 4WD?
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:53 PM   #44

"At their request I am going to change the oil out to redline shock oil 75W250. If this doesn’t make any changes then they have agreed to warranty my unit and allow me to get a new unit that is not a true track If this doesn’t make any changes then they have agreed to warranty my unit and allow me to get a new unit that is not a true track. ”

It will be interesting to see if the heavier oil helps, but 75/250 seems like really heavy stuff that might increase the heat produced, and reduce mileage. Additionally, in the beginning, while running 90/140, Eaton told me it was too heavy to allow adequate lubrication in the "pockets" and said to switch to the lighter Lucas oil.

“It sounds to me like the manufacturer has a bunch of Dana 60 carriers that were machined wrong, worm pocket too deep, or off-center. Some production manager, trying to salvage his/her job said "Awe, they're fine, ship 'em" They just haven't performed and investigation yet.”

This is my opinion too, but Eaton has firmly stated that it has to be the fault of my differential housing, despite so many other folks having the exact same issue.

“I just had a lengthy call with Randy's ring and pinion, and Eaton. According to Randy's they are having this issue with the dana 60 models only. He has 5 right now and 1 already replaced with the new one doing the same.”

Does that mean there they have installed five others with the same issue? I’m guessing I must have been the first because they told me they hadn’t seen this problem before when I first brought it up. Currently, I’m pretty much at a dead end with both Randy’s and Eaton. After the replacement unit was installed with the same problem, they both have stopped responding to my emails and voice mails. I’d be interested in knowing who you bought yours from as it sounds like Randys sources them from the same place and perhaps I can get some help from them. I asked Randys to return the unit to Eaton for inspection but they said they couldn’t because they didn’t have a relationship with them. (Someone at Eaton told me that they had a disagreement with Randys and refuse to do business with them anymore) I asked Randys if they could contact their supplier for warranty relief and never heard back.

“@tomsbeast - The truetrac essentially is going bang bang bang around the corner. It feels like it is destroying itself.”

That’s a pretty good description of what mine does when it’s hot. It sounds like it’s going to explode. As for the fuzz on your drain plug magnet, I don’t think that’s excessive for a new break-in period. I was able to inspect my old one when they replaced it, and there was no obvious signs of damage or wear, once again making me thing there is a manufacturing or tolerance issue with them, but Eaton won’t hear of it. At this point, I’m off on another trip in a couple weeks and unless it somehow gets better, I’ll have it replaced when I get back, even if it costs me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:43 PM   #45

I have true tracks in both ends of my van (D60 front/Sterling 10.5 rear).

I've never heard a peep out of the back. Had a bad locking hub on the front and it would make a clicking noise and a clunk, going straight or turning. Replaced the hub and it quieted down.

Maybe I got lucky.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #46

Garage
Success! The redline 75 W-250 oil immediately made it work as planned. Instead of popping and banging it just burned rubber when I accelerated out of a sharp corner from a start. I’m amazed and very pleased.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Success! The redline 75 W-250 oil immediately made it work as planned. Instead of popping and banging it just burned rubber when I accelerated out of a sharp corner from a start. I’m amazed and very pleased.
Great to hear, and thanks for updating the status.

Herb
Old 05-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #48

Garage
Yep, great to hear. Thanks also for taking us along.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #49

Wow... great news man - that's been a well documented ordeal for sure.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #50

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Wow... great news man - that's been a well documented ordeal for sure.
Thanks Joe! I'm going to put some miles on it today and make sure I'm solid.