Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #11

Re: An Unsatisfied Deaver Spring Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
I hear such good things about Deaver on here that I plan on trying their pack when my build out is done. A little concerned that I may have the same results though. I can't see how the two companies product could be that different.
There's another thread on Deaver's where we're discussing their removal of the rear bump stop arm (that's integral with the lift block). I would want to know how they plan to handle that (and any needed shock changes) before I pulled the trigger.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
An Unsatisfied Deaver Spring Customer

Spoke with Jeff at Deaver today. He had me loosen the spring mounting and shackle bolts. A couple popped indicating some binding. Made a small difference, but I'm still driving with the sway bar disconnected. Has anyone else driven much without the sway bar? If so, what did it feel like?

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #13

Zeta,

I would be careful about driving with the sway bar disconnected. These vehicles are marginal at best for an evasive maneuver at highway speed. With the sway bars disconnected it will put you at even greater risk of a rollover.

John
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #14

Garage

Lowering tire pressure is something that I have always done while offroading or driving on secondary roads regardless of the vehicle. The force from a bump is transmitted to your tires first, then to the springs followed by the shocks. Most people get it reversed. Tom seems to be describing a harsh ride caused by small bumps which should be absorbed by the tires, not the springs or shocks.

There is a good tire inflation article on ARB's website.

http://arbusa.wordpress.com/

Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Has anyone else driven much without the sway bar? If so, what did it feel like?

Z

Yeah Tom, I've driven miles without the sway bar connected. Before my Deaver packs were installed, the SMB spring packs rode like how you explained your ride is now. It seems everybody’s rig rides different. When I pulled the disconnects it made no difference at all in ride or cornering. And with it hooked up, I sheared off one pin or another a bunch of times while off road. SMB asked what the hell kind of terrain was I driving in. Needless to say, washboard was ripping my van apart and hitting a speed bump would throw me into the roof. Most owners were complaining about hitting the bump stops...I almost never did. After the Deaver, springs were installed; too me the van felt like it wallowed around corners more. I'd be leery about driving w/o the sway bar connected while on pavement now. Also I've yet to shear one of the pins yet. I did lose a slight amount of control in cornering but it's a better trade off being able to haul ass over a bumpy road.

BTW give me a call when they get those steps corrected.

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #16

I have a Quiglys style suspension ,running radflo custom shocks and custom front springs ,. under stand how bad the ride was before i redid my suspension it would bonce me and my wife out of our seats when we hit bumpy roads .She hated to ride in it i all most got rid of it because she hated it so much. So i put my off-road experiences to work building a new suspension for are Quiglys van and i hit a home run no grand slam more like it because now my wife loves it and cant wait to hit the road for a off-road and on road adventures we do . If any one would like to know more i would love to share how i did it.
Chimneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #17

I would like to know?? Still have mine in the driveway collecting dust. Might keep it if there is a good fix!

Standing by for info....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #18

If your rig drives OK without swaybars then I bet your spring rate is too high. Remove a leaf or two from the packs. You don't even have to remove the whole spring from the van to swap leafs around.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #19

This is a stale thread but I have some input.

Re-install the sway bar and disconnect your track bar. This is only for a test around the block or to some near by speed bumps.

You will get some bump steer if you have a "Y link" steering set up. But it will free your suspension to move without any resistance. If the geometry of the track bar is off just a little bit, which can happen very easily, where the mount is on the frame, where does it connect on the axle, is it parallel to the drag link, and the #1 most common problem with the track bar is the length. If it's too long or too short it will be under strain as suspension moves up and down causing the symptoms you're describing.

This is the test. If it feels smoother and more cushy, it's your track bar causing problems. I have heard nothing but great things about Deaver, however after a couple trips to Atlas and some fine tuning my van rides how I want it too. smooth and straight.

process of elimination.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
An Unsatisfied Deaver Spring Customer

What do you do about a track bar? Mine bolts in easily, if it were longer or shorter it would be harder to install.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote