Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #41

Re: What was a mistake or waste of $$$ on your van?

Joey,
It sounds like you did not get the switch installed for your ACR. You can wire up a (SPDT) ON-OFF-ON switch (blue sea actually makes one for it). This will enable you to Connect Batteries, Auto, Isolate Batteries). You just need to attach to the existing wire harness. It would not substitute for a lock out, but would enable you to disconnect and not have to go through the automatic cycles. Check http://www.bluesea.com for documentation on the switch and installation.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #42

Now you guys have me wondering if I should have the switch upgraded, rather than buying a whole new unit with manual control knob. Just realized I misunderstood Blue Sea Systems, they meant I can zip-tie the manual control knob if I were to upgrade to the 7622 model. This would allow it to be tagged out and locked out, not just locked off. You can't do that with the 7620 model.

SMB West installed a SPST momentary (ON)-OFF remote control switch, not a SPDT momentary (ON)-OFF-(ON). I'm going to check out the SPDT sustained ON-OFF-ON sold by Blue Sea (photo shown by Scalf77). I want on, auto, and off switch positions that are visible so an LED is not needed and I don't want the ACR to override the set position. Just a little confusing for a non-electrician and I'm not inclined to monkey with a ground wire and homemade switch install.

BTW, Blue Sea confirmed SMB install is ok with a 10 amp fuse between the remote control switch and house battery bank vice a 2 amp fuse the Blue Sea installation manual recommends. They said the ACR needs no more than 2 amps to power it so that's what the fuse size was based on. Further, the 10 amp fuse would be adequate to protect a 16 gauge wire and more robust than a 2 amp fuse when it comes to withstanding vibration over time.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #43

Biggest waste of money, weight, and space was the Danhard AC system.

I had thought you could use it while running the engine. Not so. You have to either be plugged in or have a generator. But who wants to be camping in places where 30 amp power is available, or have a noisy generator running non-stop?

It also takes up a lot of what could be storage space.

On top of all of that, it is not even very efficient at cooling a hot van even when you are plugged in!

HUGE waste of money. . .

Ed

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is LOUD!
edroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #44
Site Team

I completely agree with edroid. I have never even turned on my rear air conditioning. I have no idea whether it even works.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #45
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroid

I had thought you could use it while running the engine. Not so. You have to either be plugged in or have a generator. But who wants to be camping in places where 30 amp power is available, or have a noisy generator running non-stop?

On top of all of that, it is not even very efficient at cooling a hot van even when you are plugged in!

HUGE waste of money. . .

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I completely agree with edroid. I have never even turned on my rear air conditioning. I have no idea whether it even works.
You guys make me feel better as I was quite disappointed to learn at the 11th hour that the Danhard would not fit under our RB since we had installed the XL storage box. SMB installed a different cooler that we run when first starting the vehicle to cool the back down. It works and is relatively quiet. Cost less, too. It won't run on shore power, however, which was our primary disappointment in the missing Danhard.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #46

Garage

My only regret...

Should have paid the extra $1,500 for an electric penthouse vs. the $3,500 retrofit...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #47

At this point the Deaver Springs I had installed last Friday for $1800.00. Don't feel a difference in the ride which is what I bought them for....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
At this point the Deaver Springs I had installed last Friday for $1800.00. Don't feel a difference in the ride which is what I bought them for....
What shocks did you go with? And do you have an anti-sway bar on the front or the rear?
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroid

HUGE waste of money. . .

Ed

That's strange; some have posted that the Danhard is a good running unit. At first I was also disappointed with my Starcool (also a Danhard unit) but found if used correctly it does a reasonable job if shore power is available. None of them will work off battery power unless the van is packed with batteries above reason. On shore power it will work if you crank it on early before it gets hot out. I was told it's the same with the newer Danhards. Also I read that the Danhards must be matched with the correct sized inverter and alternator to run while driving. I can't say that's correct being I have the Starcool III but even with the Starcool III I had to install a high amp alternator to pick up the slack. My gripe is it does draw off the house system and that is something which needs to be addressed in the future. But as far as "on the road", I'm sure glad I have the Starcool in this desert like valley I live in.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #50

The setup is the same except for the springs.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote