Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #21

Re: Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ
That is the only configuration that a K30 EVER came in (77-86) and the V30 (same truck, just relabled when they added TBI for years 87-91.) I still have a complete front Kingpin Dana 60 from one of my previous trucks sitting in my side yard waiting to be put into something. I can take measurements or pictures of the brake parts if you need them for reference.
IIRC mine is a low pinion but this is just the application that Quigley told me. I do agree they probably bought D60's from Dana with GM outers, so let's not use this as an axle reference, just brakes!

I finally have a line on some better rotors/pads. Stay tuned. These would be the same type that I put on my prior E350 cargo van, but correct for this application.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #22

Due tell. I'll most likely follow your lead
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #23

Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Thanks to Anzac I found the correct part#s for replacement front slotted rotors and pads and a manufacturer that came recommended to me by Anzac and a few friends Centric/Stoptech. Same company, shares same part #s but if its labeled Stoptech its $20 more each rotor for no reason other than marketing purposes.

See attached pic for part#s and what I believe is the best price.

Now, does anyone have recommendations on where to get the rotors machined to clear the Ford abs sensor in So Cal?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #24

What are those pads? Where did you get that number?

And even though Stoptech said the rotors are the correct number, I'm not 100% sure until I fit them.

I'm getting the cryo treated version, the combination of slotted and cryo treated made a huge difference on my old E350 cargo van vs the stock rotors, towing down steep hills.

Also, charge your phone...

Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #25

POSI-QUIET EXTENDED WEAR BRAKE PADS, SEMI-METALLIC. Using stoptech's website you can plug in 1985 gmc k3500 and you'll get those part #s. Those are the only pads that are available. Gonna order the parts, install them and report back.

Stoptech Tech support and the director of comms (friend of a friend) both didn't sound convinced cryo was going to be a benefit for my application. Plus it's an additional $20 per rotor and an extra week lead time. Not sure what their motivation would be to not recommend cryo. Searching the web I wasn't convinced either way if cryo was snake oil or not.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
POSI-QUIET EXTENDED WEAR BRAKE PADS, SEMI-METALLIC. Using stoptech's website you can plug in 1985 gmc k3500 and you'll get those part #s. Those are the only pads that are available. Gonna order the parts, install them and report back.
That's the wrong part. K3500 is not the same as a K30.

Look at:
http://centriccatalog.com/Inquiry/AppRe ... =47&mm=460

and then:
http://centriccatalog.com/Inquiry/PartI ... =47&mm=460

That's a FMSI D543 which is interchangeable with the D149 FMSI pad for the K30.
And I'm not using those pads, I'm using another brand.

As to cryo treating, to each his own. I've used them on two vehicles now and the combination of cryo and slotted is the business. I'm waiting until I've ordered and put them on my van, and know they fit, before I post the part numbers of exactly what I'm using.

http://frozenrotors.com/about/why-deep-cryogenics/

Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #27

Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

I get the same part # for a gmc 3500 and Chevy k30. Its pad #106.05430 for both.

About cryo. Not all cryo are the same apparently. Frozen does a 60 hour treatment where as Stoptech/Centric does a 24 hour treatment.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
...About cryo. Not all cryo are the same apparently. Frozen does a 60 hour treatment where as Stoptech/Centric does a 24 hour treatment.
But mine goes to eleven.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
I get the same part # for a gmc 3500 and Chevy k30. Its pad #106.05430 for both.
OK, hopefully that is a D543 FMSI which should work. But I think Hawk pads are better. Rave reviews at FordTrucks.com.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #30

OK, here is my plan.

Disclaimers
1. This is for my van, which has the K30 front brakes. If your van has F350 brakes or something else, I don't know, talk to Quigley, give 'em your VIN.
2. If you order these parts and they don't fit, it isn't my fault, I'm still waiting for them. And even if mine fit and yours don't, that's your look out because I know nothing about your van and part of me suspects no two Quigleys are alike.

I did the original research about 5 years ago at FordTrucks BB and this combination was a common recommendation for people towing. The brakes I had on my 99 E350 cargo were great for everyday driving and towing after I did this upgrade.

Rotors
Firstly, cryo slotted rotors from Stoptech. Slotted helps vent gas/dust and gives a little extra bite at the expense of some pad life. I had them on my prior E350 cargo van and they were great. Cryo treating can help prevent cracking from overheating. Whether you need this is up to you, I do a lot of towing, and there's a lot of heat build up and I think the rotors are really undersized for the load. Plus the rotors are a pain to source, machine and replace, so I'm ok with spending the extra money for some extra durability.

This isn't the cheapest vendor for non-cryo treated (see link from Jacko above) but for the cryo treatment the price is about the same (within $5/rotor).

Stoptech 126.66003CSL & 126.66003CSR
OR
Stoptech 126.66003SL & 126.66003SR

CSL = cryo slotted left
CSR = cryo slotted right
SL = slotted left
SR = slotted right

The cryo treating is a special order and takes longer. There isn't much stock around so if everyone buys rotors, Stoptech will have to make another batch.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/adv ... =126.66003

There was a lot of research to get from the rotor p/n on the Quigley drawing to this number but you can also get there if you use the Stoptech K30 link I posted above.

Machining
My rotors are being shipped directly to Quigley for machining to give clearance for the Ford ABS sensors. This was the quickest solution vs finding somewhere locally that would do it. $60/pr+shipping. Talk to Joyce or Tiger @ Quigley. Or talk to them to get the PDF drawing to get it done locally.

Pads
I had previously used Hawk LTS pads on my 99 cargo van and loved them. They aren't available in this application and with the weight difference between an SMB and a cargo van, probably justified using the next step up, SD pads.

Hawk Performance HB337P.791 SuperDuty Brake Pad
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CLRBRC

There are probably other places to buy the pads, Zeck is a dealer for Hawk too but I had already ordered my pads.
They match the D149 FMSI # on the Quigley drawing and also the K30 application if you look it up from that route.