Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #161

Garage
Here ya go. A couple of pics with the top down, 4” cushion with deflated Exped Megamat. I’d estimate it to be 7” or so with more room to compress.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #162

Garage
Insulated Blackout Shades

Tinted windows are great for privacy during the daytime but you know what happens when it gets dark and the lights go on. I needed shades for my many windows and wanted to insulate them against the cold and heat. I have a set of the rigid reflectix-type shades with suction cups but found them to be a pain to install when needed and too unwieldy to store when not. I also wanted something more versatile that would stay out of the way in daytime but just drop down for privacy at night.

For lots of bucks, you can buy this type of shade for Sprinters, Promasters, and Transits, but you have to go custom for the E350. It looks from recent posts that the Overland Gear Guy will make you a set using Havelock wool.

Because I’ve got more time than money, I set about making a full set of shades using an insulation product called “Warm Window.” It’s expensive, but my local fabric store had it on clearance so I scooped up a bunch. You could use any similar insulation product. I wanted something lightweight and easy to roll but a good insulator.

I thought I’d share my process with you in case you’re interested in trying it yourself. I’m really pleased with how they turned out. I will say that this this took a ton of hours and made me realize why the folks who do this for a living charge what they do. But we are a persistent bunch here and that’s the most important ingredient.

Here’s the Warm Window product. Two layers of insulation with an aluminum layer in between and a fabric layer on the outside:

I chose a gray Ripstop for the interior side and a black waterproof Ripstop for the exterior. I used the Reflectix as templates.

I used 1” wide binding to sew it all together.

It makes it look like this. This is my test piece.

My setup. The windows that open are the hardest to do. Binding doesn’t like to go around inside corners very much. I reinforced the curve for wear. I sewed in webbing tabs for snaps all around, as well as webbing to keep them rolled up. Lucky non-window-trim folks have it easy: they just use magnets. Sewing those tabs took hours upon hours.

Finally got to the “fun” installation part. These are the snap parts purchased from Sailrite. I’ve bought lots of supplies from them over the years, including my sewing machine, the LSZ, which I love. It can go through a dozen layers of fabric, no problem.

I would never consider doing this job without the Pres-n-Snap tool from Sailrite. You don’t want to install dozens of snaps by hand using a hammer. And, as an added bonus, this tool really builds up your hand muscles... whew.

Here’s the rear passenger side window installed.

And the rear driver side rolled up. The trim snaps are 3/8” screw-in.

Closed/open

Here are the barn doors, rolled up.

The rear side windows were a beast because there’s no plastic trim, just fabric-covered foam. I put five screw snaps in the top and three web straps that attach to the CCV wood frame. We’ll see how that holds. It was too dark to get a photo. I’ll add one later. The front windows are easy: I roll the window down and flip the webbing tabs to the outside then close the window. Fits perfectly and my rain deflectors will keep the tabs dry. I’ll likely add a snap on the forward edge only.

So there you have it. It’s amazing how much difference the insulation makes in the cold. I’m really looking forward to trying it out on the road.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #163

Nice job, they look great.
-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #164

Those look great! Want to make more??
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #165

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Nice job, they look great.
-greg
Thanks, Greg!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #166

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
Those look great! Want to make more??
Hey thanks! Ya know, when I started out on these, I thought I might offer to do it as a service to the folks here because I couldn’t find any for my rig. But now that I see the number of labor hours it took (really, like dozens of hours), it wouldn’t be worth it for me or you. And, lo and behold, the Overland Gear Guy, a member here, stepped up in the interim and said he’ll make a set for anybody who wants them. So, I think I’ll leave it to the pros. Thanks for asking!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #167

Thank You for the mention, They are Very Labor Intensive, some people get Sticker Shock, but there is a lot of man hours in these window coverings. and they finding the right material that is going to retain your heat or cold, material that isn's going to soak up moisture...

Currently we are working on the Cab Area Window Coverings for the E350
so Driver, Passenger and Windshield Coverings.

as of this Post the only Window Coverings we have are for the Rear Doors
https://overlandgearguy.com/collecti...ow-covers-e350

Next we will work on the Double Passenger Doors, then the rest of the E350 Van Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hey thanks! Ya know, when I started out on these, I thought I might offer to do it as a service to the folks here because I couldn’t find any for my rig. But now that I see the number of labor hours it took (really, like dozens of hours), it wouldn’t be worth it for me or you. And, lo and behold, the Overland Gear Guy, a member here, stepped up in the interim and said he’ll make a set for anybody who wants them. So, I think I’ll leave it to the pros. Thanks for asking!

Utah
OverlandGearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #168

Great work! Those look awesome!
CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #169

very nice work
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #170

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post