Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #141

Well shit its been like 18 months and no one has kicked JWA in the balls on this post. I will.
HUGH thanks for JWA for the page-1 2013 post with complete Bill of Materials! I read pg1 through pg3 like 10x.

I ordered up everything on the BOM to mount the 2008 upgraded brakes to my 2005 E-250 with OEM Ford Alcoa 16" alum rims running 8300lb typical.
Ebay for takeoff calipers brackets and NAPA premium pads, Amazon/Walmart for new OEM 2008 rotors (with free shipping wow), Fordpartgiant for OEM calipers, hoses, and misc. <$800 in parts and 5 hrs of labor. Hardest part was getting the old brake hose spring clip off the frame….and not making a total fluid mess. FYI Fordpartgiant.com are knuckheads and sent 4 of the same wheel bearings since their website uses the same “replace by” Ford number for inner and outer, so I got the correct inners at local NAPA store.
Tits on a Ritz. Everything fits 100% even with the Alcoa rims but its sure tight to the new caliper, like maybe 1/4” air gap. “A millimeter is as good as a mile sometimes”

No, I don’t know if this 2008 Ford OEM brake kit will fit your 2015 Dodge with a 8” lift on 32s.
Attached Thumbnails
dink.JPG   dink2.JPG   20220219_172922[1].jpg   20220221_121315[1].jpg  

Old 04-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #142

Most sources say the old-style Alcoas don’t play well with the 2008+ brakes. You need the newer mag-style wheels. When I did the upgrade I got a set of the mag-style at the same time. (I like the old style better, though… I think they look cooler.)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #143

Thanks BrianW. Can you please elaborate what the issues are and what sources say there is with the 2005 OEM Alcoa rims and 2008 brakes? I didnt come across this in this thread or anywhere. The caliper appear just as tight to the steel OEM rim pix on page-8.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #144

Bringing back up. I’m pretty certain that I had expressed Profound Appreciation for ALL of JWAs contributions here. Had I not, I am Now. THANK YOU :~)

I, too, feel that this is The Best money that I have spent on my van to date. It was the first Task that I tackled after I bought the van, and haven’t looked back.

That being said, I have had an ABS fault that has been (to the best of my memory) present since the Upgrade. The brakes work impeccably. The parts are Correct to JWAs List. I have cleared the Code, and it comes back right away.

Since the brakes (work) , I ASSumed that it was likely an ABS Pump issue, and chose to leave it be until my brother could work me into the schedule at his Very Busy shop.

Saw him for Mother’s Day gathering and he took a look on Scanner. Stated no input from front sensors. So, dirty ? Cleaned Faulty Sensor line ? Perhaps, but it was replaced with New during upgrade. Certainly not impossible to have a faulty part … it happens.

The (only) reason for my latest ‘bump’ is: just wondering if anyone else had any hiccups with their ABS system in a pretty short time lapse from Upgrade install ? I feel as though I’ve checked the ‘obvious’. Maybe I’ve overlooked something in my old age :~P

PS I fully appreciate that ABS wasn’t part of the original Topic. I just wondered if anyone had to address anything similar to the aforementioned ……. TIA
1DogRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #145

What’s your ABS code say?

I didn’t have any issues with my swap. I have had other ABS light events, all relating to the rear speed sensor. Went through a couple sensors over time, and also broke a wire above the axle and had to replace that section of wire harness.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:29 PM   #146

Code was No signal front sensor(s).
I cleaned the reluctor wheel on Rotors. Cleaned the Sensor ‘lens’. Checked connection at Harness.

Pretty much leaves me at defective Sensors ….. ? It happens, I suppose; but, Both ?

While it wasn’t part of the Overall Upgrade (topic), I replace All related parts when I do a (repair), *even fasteners, and then “torque stripe”

*old aerospace mentality
Old 05-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #147

Garage
1DogRescuer, do you have a 4x4 SMB build? If so, My "new" OEM ABS sensors triggered the ABS dash light when I replaced them also...Shop didn't understand what was going on. I glanced at the spec's listed in my SMB build binder and realized those are also a "custom" change - Put the recommended ones on & no more issue.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:13 PM   #148

No. All ‘03 E250 / ‘08 E350 2WD OE except shocks (Bilstein). But just for shits & giggles, what was the revised spec’d sensor part number ?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2022, 04:54 PM   #149

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogRescuer View Post
No. All ‘03 E250 / ‘08 E350 2WD OE except shocks (Bilstein). But just for shits & giggles, what was the revised spec’d sensor part number ?
Thanks
ABS Sensor Drivers side: GM 15990503
ABS Sensor Passenger side: GM 15990504
Old 05-09-2022, 05:54 PM   #150

GM Sensors work on Ford Rotors ? ………