Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #91

I made a post in a different thread about my stolen cat, but posting here as it seems like the main thread on the topic. Once I get a new one installed, I want to have some a deterrent plan ready to go on day one since my neighborhood is sketchy AF.

Has anyone gone the catclamp route? https://catclamp.com

@boywonder: I love your DIY style on this. In your last post you mentioned you hadn't driven after the install. How was the noise? I once had a heat shield tack weld break and holy crap was that rattle loud, so I have to wonder about noise? Anything negative to report? Did you manage to do the install with one continuous wire and loop it back and forth?

I suggest anyone reading this start with a simple deterrent (emphasis on deterrent, as this is clearly not a solve): use high temp paint to paint your cats orange as many of these recycling shops don't want to be caught with obviously stolen cats.

I've read that aftermarket cats aren't nearly as valuable. Anyone know if that is true? Perhaps just an aftermarket cat is a deterrent? I'm not sure I want to find out.

The amount of $ and time this is costing me is quite frustrating.

olivelawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
Has anyone gone the catclamp route? https://catclamp.com
Looks like a royal PITA to install, but that's actually a good thing in my opinion, as it's harder to remove. I would have some concern about possible vibration noise from the cable being wrapped around structural members.

Interesting idea.

Herb
Old 03-28-2022, 12:20 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivelawn View Post
@boywonder: I love your DIY style on this. In your last post you mentioned you hadn't driven after the install. How was the noise? I once had a heat shield tack weld break and holy crap was that rattle loud, so I have to wonder about noise? Anything negative to report? Did you manage to do the install with one continuous wire and loop it back and forth?

The amount of $ and time this is costing me is quite frustrating.

I've driven the van a couple thousand miles since installing the cable.......haven't noticed anything, no rattles or fretting/wearing on the heat shields, etc.

It is a single piece of wire rope looped back and forth.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:20 AM   #94

I was contacted yesterday by the storage yard where I keep my motorhome that the yard had been hit by converter thieves cutting through a chainlink fence. Fortunately, mine wasn't stolen but my two ($$$) catalytic converters are completely exposed and easily accessible. The exhaust pipe runs before and after them are so long and exposed that no anti-theft device will work.

The one owner I talked to who's RV was hit owned a class C, probably with a Ford E450 chassis. Hopefully my Workhorse (GMC) W22 chassis isn't as attractive as the Fords on the lot.

I think I'll go with the orange paint and engraved VIN route. It may be enough of a deterrent to divert the thieves to one of the other 100 or so vehicles in the yard.

I'm also going to double check my comprehensive deductible.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I was contacted yesterday by the storage yard where I keep my motorhome that the yard had been hit by converter thieves cutting through a chainlink fence. Fortunately, mine wasn't stolen but my two ($$$) catalytic converters are completely exposed and easily accessible. The exhaust pipe runs before and after them are so long and exposed that no anti-theft device will work.

The one owner I talked to who's RV was hit owned a class C, probably with a Ford E450 chassis. Hopefully my Workhorse (GMC) W22 chassis isn't as attractive as the Fords on the lot.

I think I'll go with the orange paint and engraved VIN route. It may be enough of a deterrent to divert the thieves to one of the other 100 or so vehicles in the yard.

I'm also going to double check my comprehensive deductible.
The cats are going into a container and shipped over seas. what will the orange pain and engraved VIN do to prevent that?
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:59 AM   #96
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
The cats are going into a container and shipped over seas. what will the orange pain and engraved VIN do to prevent that?
Even if that were true what's your solution then?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:17 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
A. Park it inside a locked garage.
B. Add a skid plate or other component that makes it too difficult to cut and remove.
C. Cross fingers.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #98

True this subject is not anywhere near the problem in the Southeast as you guys on the west coast have it (yet) but you’d sure think the manufacturers would do a better job than this. You can tell the truck is new, I’m sure he’ll learn soon about the problem as easy as this one is to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
44D49618-68E2-4307-9BC9-B5FF5F128275.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I’ve read that some vehicles have the VIN engraved on 15-20 different major components/places on the vehicle so it must have some benefit. On the other hand I had a Toyota truck stolen and the stolen vehicle task force rep told me if I was lucky it was a joy rider and it will be ditched somewhere in 12-24 hrs otherwise it’s on a container headed to South America.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
I’ve read that some vehicles have the VIN engraved on 15-20 different major components/places on the vehicle so it must have some benefit. On the other hand I had a Toyota truck stolen and the stolen vehicle task force rep told me if I was lucky it was a joy rider and it will be ditched somewhere in 12-24 hrs otherwise it’s on a container headed to South America.
That is true, however cars are still stolen and stripped every day. The bigger use for that in my opinion is used for determining if all the body panels and such are original to the vehicle. If the vehicle has been wrecked and repaired the VIN tags won't be there.

Tags
4x4 van, catalytic converter, sportsmobile, theft