Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
Thanks Bass, Good to know. I measured my rig, as is, and it came in at 84" - very encouraging. The only thing I would consider putting on top is solar panels. Max tire size I will likely have is 33".
~Terry

For height reference I have 285/75R16 on mine which works out to ~32.8" (they do rub a bit on the front at full lock).

basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
I have checked the gas mileage on the SMB and I consistently get 21mpg highway - I lose 2mpg from the A/C.

Wow, that's pretty solid. I get a flat 10 in my '94 4x4 with the 460 in it. I would imagine you should expect some loss of mileage with 4x4'ing.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
I would imagine you should expect some loss of mileage with 4x4'ing.
I agree, but I drive it at 65mph, max. I'm not in a hurry and it's easier on the engine.

The guy on the YouTube Channel 4XOverland claims there's no mileage loss with 4x4, but that hasn't been my experience.
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #54
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Actually, if it fits in a garage now an Agile TTB converted will fit as well. That conversion can be done with no lift blocks at the rear, the front will come up to an even stance vs the normally slightly nose down attitude. You just have to tell them you want no lift. So it should be no higher than stock.

What you get with the Agile TTB is the best riding on and off road 4x4 system for these vans.

Your other alternatives are all solid front axle configurations. These raise the front end by about 4 inches and the back end by two inches to even out the height. The four inches is necessary to fit the solid front axle under the front cross member.

Quigley will not touch anything older than about a year. If you find a Quigley system take off from a wreck, this could be retrofitted to your rig. Downside to Quigley is they use a mixture of wear parts some of which are Quigley source only. IF you find a Quigley setup make sure to get the VIN number it came out of so they can send you the build sheet and VIN specific parts that went into that build.

Quadvan in Portland. OR is a Ford certified upfitter. They use all Ford parts in their coil sprung conversions many of which are from your own rig. This makes maintenance much more convenient when figuring out what parts you need.

Expo Vans / MGMetalworks Portland OR - If they are still doing conversions, they offer a coil sprung front end . If they are still doing their install kits but not doing conversions themselves, the kit can be installed by a capable 4 wheel drive shop.

UJOINT Offroad in North Carolina - A leaf sprung front axle that accommodates quite a bit of lift.

Colorado Camper Van - Loveland, CO - they do a very stout Dana 70 conversion. Might be worth considering if you are doing extensive wheeling.

I do not believe WedTec is doing 4x4 conversions. They do make lift kits for the 2wd vans.

Whatever, BEFORE you decide on a conversion - I STRONGLY recommend finding rigs with the various conversions and driving them to see what the ride is like. If you have to fly somewhere to drive one, do it. The cost of a flight or two is nothing compared to the $14k to $20k the conversion will cost. There are significant differences in the ride characteristics between each of the four above.
You’re forgetting a great resource & converter in Timberline vans Golden, CO Tim has a great conversion, gives excellent customer service & the conversion is solid. www.4x4vans.com give him & call to discuss it will be worth you while 👍
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
You’re forgetting a great resource & converter in Timberline vans Golden, CO Tim has a great conversion, gives excellent customer service & the conversion is solid. www.4x4vans.com give him & call to discuss it will be worth you while 👍
I hadn't heard of them, thanks for the suggestion.

It might be good to attend an Overland Expo, but I don't think the timing will work.

~Terry
Old 11-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #56

shenrie,
My days of changing things out are over.
I have maintained the quigley front-end.
As mentioned I carry spare hub(s).
I'm comfortable with the parts, yes expensive but I have peace of mind.
The 2003 runs like a deer.........7.3 purrs like a kitten....ok a loud purr but it purrs.
The point of having a van is the pleasure it brings...when you start counting $$$$$ seems to me we are missing the idea of the VAN. I'm for buying what you want, the best you can afford...then enjoy it......get out and use it.........a bed, stove (portable) frig, porta potty then hit the road......it's all you need.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #57

Garage
^^^ for me it’s piece of mind. my 03 7.3 is heavy. with the bikes on the back and gear, it’s 10,600 lbs. ours isn’t built out yet either. the semi float was a stranded waiting to happen. the quigley hubs were a longer stranded if I broke down somewhere remote plus it would have been a LOT more money. some shops won’t install customer supplied parts either. just circumstances I’m not willing to take with a disabled wife on board. as it sits now other than quigley control arms or brackets failing, all the parts on my van should be off the shelf parts. well till it’s 20 years older anyway.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #58

I can confirm that my Ford E350 SMB poptop does in fact fit in my 8' garage.

I have a Quigley 4x4 kit installed with the Agile RIP kit, and my van sits on 285/75R16 BFG KO2's.

Now, the van just barely fits, I cannot have anything on the roof like a rack or a fan or any of that stuff. I have also had a different E350 SMB pop top in my garage too and it also had a Quigley 4x4 setup.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
I can confirm that my Ford E350 SMB poptop does in fact fit in my 8' garage.

I have a Quigley 4x4 kit installed with the Agile RIP kit, and my van sits on 285/75R16 BFG KO2's.

Now, the van just barely fits, I cannot have anything on the roof like a rack or a fan or any of that stuff. I have also had a different E350 SMB pop top in my garage too and it also had a Quigley 4x4 setup.
Thanks Benqo281. 285's at that - wow! That's good to know.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #60

4x4 conversion

Contact advanced 4x4 and agile 4x4 is is possible to get a full 4x4 conversion on an old vehicle for $13,000 to $14,000.
bcrittendon is offline   Reply With Quote