Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2022, 12:56 PM   #561

Hey MG -- yeah that was my hunch look at RockAuto, too -- it'd have to be PERFECT length to work... I'll try calling Dorman -- sometimes if you insist on talking to an engineer -- they can look things up in their own catalog by length.

Obviously a ton of ways to skin this cat -- but I know a lot of people use the MG kit because they don't have access to welders, swage tools/hydraulic crimpers, mills/lathes, etc.

That being said -- on my AstroVan -- the e-brake is adjusted with an threaded coupler:
GM 25537451

I got ACDELCO 18P2074 -- which is roughly 51" long -- I'll see if it works -- and report back. Pretty sure GM/Dodge/Ford/etc. all use the same sized cable ends on their intermediate cables.

Might need a few "short" ends to bridge the gap -- or I could just use a threaded coupler and extend the threaded rod.

Found this while browsing the web last night too:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...e-ends.424506/
which is what I'll probably do if this threaded bit doesn't work.

And this:
https://www.doghouserepair.com/store...e-cables-empi/

I live right near a Parker/Motion Flow shop, too -- they can crimp anything so I'll see what I can come up with and report back to the brain trust!!

winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #562

A few other things I thought I'd share, too re: the sterling 10.5

1 - before you attach your axle to the leaf springs --make sure your upper brake caliper bolt is through the eye on the rear spindle. It won't fit in otherwise.

2 - don't be dumb like me and use these 15* offset shock brackets. I think mine were made by Ruffstuff Specialties. They are beefy and roughly match the e-series angle -- but they were a PITA to work and involved a lot of grinding and fitment.

I got them to fit -- but now at full droop my shocks are too short -- so I wish I just used independent tabs -- woulda been way easier!
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #563

VSS Feed

I’m in the middle of an MG conversion, hoping to be the first South/Latin American kit.

First, I’m using a BW1356 and it has a tail shaft speed sensor. Wondering if I should be using it or not, given the speed at the transmission end will not be the vehicle speed while using 4LO.

Second, any custom transmission brackets for a 5.4 V8 and 4R75 transmission?

Cheers!
skumancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #564

Thumbs up Another MG Conversion on the Trail !

Big THANK YOU to Michael. MG Metal Works.

Well, I bought my van in May 2019 and bought the MG kit in Sept of 2020. Finished the bulk of 4wd conversion in July 2021. I am pleased to finally say I have about 2500 miles on it and couldn't be more happier. The van handles great, and I am very pleased at the outcome despite the delays.

2013 E350, 5.4L, NV273, semi-float, 4.56 gears, 295/75/18, ARB air-lockers F&R. Still need to install ERA, get custom Deaver rear springs and some rock sliders. Also finish my DIY interior build!

The below pics are from a "shake-down" trip where I got onto a trail that wasn't marked at the bottom. Yikes!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFS7HbNHAqorqJ1o7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jns3RNgz1BzB3xZX9
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3465.jpg   IMG_3464.jpg  
amamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:57 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamdani View Post
Big THANK YOU to Michael. MG Metal Works.

Well, I bought my van in May 2019 and bought the MG kit in Sept of 2020. Finished the bulk of 4wd conversion in July 2021. I am pleased to finally say I have about 2500 miles on it and couldn't be more happier. The van handles great, and I am very pleased at the outcome despite the delays.

2013 E350, 5.4L, NV273, semi-float, 4.56 gears, 295/75/18, ARB air-lockers F&R. Still need to install ERA, get custom Deaver rear springs and some rock sliders. Also finish my DIY interior build!

The below pics are from a "shake-down" trip where I got onto a trail that wasn't marked at the bottom. Yikes!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFS7HbNHAqorqJ1o7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jns3RNgz1BzB3xZX9
Nice setup. How do you like the 4.56 gears? I'm finishing my second 4x4 van and I'm doing the MG kit as well. I built my axle with 4.56 gears (e-locker rear and Torsen LSD front). I'm afraid they may be too short with 35x12.5r18 tires. I can not find 285/75r18 anywhere so I'm assuming yours are 295/70r18 thus, your final ratio will be even shorter than mine.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:41 PM   #566

Houstonredrider, you are correct. they are 295/70/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I guess I like the 456 gears: I had to take a chance since I had the 5.4L, but it seemed like the other vendor would use that gear ratio in his "spec build". But I really have nothing to compare too since this is my first solid axle vehicle with large tires. (I also have a LR4 with 31.5). I have to plan accelerations for passing and hills but I have no problem keeping up with traffic at 80mph once up to speed (even on hills). I will manually put it in 2nd, or 3rd in those passing cases. My speedo is off (75 mph speedo = 70 mph GPS). I have no intention of towing and my build is lightweight. Now I understand why all those 5th-wheel trailers would cut me off for "no reason" when I was booking it in the fast lane on the open highway....
amamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:11 AM   #567

I got 35’s with 4.56 and am happy. Just 200rpm more at 65/70 on the high way, a bit more acceleration offroad/ uphill.
I don’t regret it.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:09 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
UJ is fabing an x-member to go around the radius arm. Should be ready next week. Going to wait and see how it works out and hopefully its the answer. MG suggested ditching my current x-member and using one from a v10 or Diesel Fseries and modifying it to fit in the same location. I like this idea as well. I'm glad yours is working out. I'm just not that intuitive mechanically.
How did this turn out? Do you have photos?
Old 07-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Some 17s fit no problem, some I've seen are a little tight and require some of the casting ribs on the caliper to be ground down. There's not much chance of a 16 fitting over the larger brakes.
Got super worried reading about some 17’s not fitting. I dry-fit the caliper and rotor on my 17-inch wheel last night after reading this, and I get about 2 fingers of space if the caliper is all the way on top of the rotor…I don’t know if it’ll sit the same when on the axle…definitely worried but can’t test until I finish mounting the axle.

I’ll be running 17X9 Vision Off-Road 355 Manx 2 Overland rims…anyone have experience with these?
Old 07-11-2022, 10:13 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumancer View Post
Got super worried reading about some 17’s not fitting. I dry-fit the caliper and rotor on my 17-inch wheel last night after reading this, and I get about 2 fingers of space if the caliper is all the way on top of the rotor…I don’t know if it’ll sit the same when on the axle…definitely worried but can’t test until I finish mounting the axle.

I’ll be running 17X9 Vision Off-Road 355 Manx 2 Overland rims…anyone have experience with these?
What year is the axle you're using?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote