Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #71

I have considered that as well but plan to start with leafs only.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #72

Did you already purchase leaf springs for yours Scotty? I got mine from Weldtec, and even though im happy with ride quality, the springs started rusting within two weeks of installing them. They came with some black stuff on them, i assumed it was paint but apparently its water soluable and very little of it remains on the springs. The thing is, it has just sat parked in the driveway except the two times i test drove it around town.

Maybe im telling you stuff you already know, but if i had known this was going to happen i would have removed whatever that black stuff is with some mineral spirits and a wire brush then painted the springs myself with some chassis paint before i installed them.

This is what theyre looking like after sitting in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
rust.jpg  
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 11:06 PM   #73

More pics of the truck.. Its a never ending drain on my wallet i guess. Pleased with how the rear hubs turned out for the most part. No wheel adapters and 17" Ram 3500 wheels on all four corners. REID knuckles installed and some other tweaks. Im thinking the rear bumper is the next project since that a 16" 8x6.5" spare hanging back is of no use to me at all now.

Im also considering a PSC hydraulic assist steering setup for it utilizing the F-350 heavy duty steering box.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02926.jpg   DSC02942.jpg   front.jpg   rv2.jpg   DSC02919.jpg  

DSC02731.JPG  
Old 10-02-2023, 12:32 AM   #74

Do you guy's think i should leave the front grill blacked out or update with the chrome grill and the better style chrome headlights from vantageoptics?? Also do you think i should raise it one more inch front and back or leave it where its at? It was an inch higher but i lowered it an inch when i was troubleshooting the steering. I have to decide before i take it in to get alignment readings.

No one around here seems to know how to align a 4x4 truck. They adjust the toe and drag link and call that an alignment. That said i take it to a place that puts it on the rack and they print me out the readings and then i go home and change the camber bushings and adjust my lower control arms for caster and then take it back to get readings again.

Everything is off considerably at this point because i installed REID knuckles, lowered it, installed the AJE balljoints in the knuckles, changed the tracbar, etc...

Also, has anyone tried the FOX 2.5" series shocks on an E-series or do you think they are to large in diameter to fit properly?

Custom bearing hubs and one off custom 300M axle shafts. Needless to say wheel center caps are likely not an option.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:54 PM   #75

Installed FOX 2.5" remote reservoir adjustable shocks front and back along with a new pitman arm and 1.5" diameter draglink. Really not much else for me to do to the suspension at this point. Likely will spend the winter working on the living quarters this winter since its to big to put in the garage. Then when spring gets here again i can do the transmission and transfer case.

These shocks are exactly what this heavy truck needed. I thought i was gonna have to buy heavier front coil springs, but these shocks resolved the pogo stick ride on the front which i thought was to lite of a spring.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03155.jpg   DSC03164.jpg   DSC03171.jpg   DSC03182.jpg   DSC03183.jpg  

DSC03157.jpg  
Old 11-10-2023, 03:08 AM   #76

Garage
Nice. Great to hear the shocks addressed the pogo stick issue.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:24 AM   #77

VHT Epoxy Chassis Paint is the winner for the chassis stuff - reminds me I need to crawl around and do some touching up this winter.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote