Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2023, 06:02 AM   #1

Stuck in Camden, Maine

Nice place but few resources. Drivers side front caliper pad delaminated from its metal base. Inner surface of the disk destroyed by the metal base plate. All of the other pads are at least 1/4" thick.

Camden is a small costal town about 100 miles north of Portland, Maine. I found a replacement for the rotor and hub at a NAPA parts store in Camden but no machine shop that can drill out the stud holes. The replacement pads from a local NAPA Parts Store are 3/4" thick. They will fit lengthwise but I do not remember seeing pads this thick. Local garage is booked out for two weeks. I was able to drop in a new brake pad but the rotor would not turn.

We are here to photograph the fall colors and don't have the tools I need to do a "field" repair on the caliper, pads or rotor. Anyone know of a garage in Portland, MA that can work on a Dynatrac 60 brake caliper and rotor?

If I have to replace the caliper, I may upgrade the calipers and rotors in the front to the "new and improved" 2008 set. Most of the writeups about the change up to the 2008 calipers and rotors seem to be positive but I will need a shop to do the work.

If there is no one who can work on the brakes in or near Camden, I will need to transport the van and the travel trailer to Portland, MA. Does anyone know of a repair shop in Portland, MA that can get us back on the road by the end of next week?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #2

Couple options for you:
-you don't NEED to replace the rotor. You can get a set of pads, put them in, and limp it somewhere you can get it fixed properly. Heck, probably even get home. The rotor is already cashed, it just wont stop as well and will eat up pads. But you should be able to get home.

Worst case take an angle grinder to the back of the rotor and try to get off the bulk of the high spots. You can also grind the friction material on the pads to get them to fit. Wear a respirator if you do this.

-Pull the pads out of the caliper, leave the caliper bolted up, and pinch off the rubber hose with a vice grips. The vehicle won't stop well especially considering its a front brake, but you will be able to get it to a shop that will work on it. Just take it easy and allow plenty of stopping distance.

Neither of the above are correct or long term fixes, but they are what you can come up with in the parking lot in Rankin's hardware in Camden, ME.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #3

Big_ern Thanks, I got a flat file at Harbor Freight and filed the high spots down. I was hoping that some of the material was from the aluminum under the pad but it is all steel.

Got pads from NAPA down the road. When I looked at the pads, they are a 1/2" thick. More than I expected - but what do I know? Dropped one pad in and left the remaining pad (1/4") in place. Drove a short distance to see how that would work. It did not go well... The rims I have are alloy but heavy enough for me to tow a 29' Airstream. As I was driving, the brake with the new pads locked up, the inner rim of the wheel broke off and dropped the van to the ground.

Current plan is to pull the pads out, pinch the tubing and put the spare on. Fortunately, I rebuilt the trailer brakes and they are working but I don't like getting on the road without full braking power - especially when the brake is on the front.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #4

How unfortunate but I’m trying to understand why locking up a wheel caused the rim to break? There must be more going on here. When you replaced the pads, were you able to retract the caliper pistons back into the caliper? Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #5

Garage
Thinking out of the box, If the hurdle here is locating someone capable of drilling your new rotor(s), you may have better luck with a Marine shop in the area. Unfortunately your dead in the water being that it's Sunday, so you're very restricted in what you're capable of accomplishing today. ***On a side note: If you're still in town I would suggest a meal at the "Waterfront". Great views, and they have the best Clam Chowder I've ever had! - also have a Crab & Artichoke fondue that's a lot of fun (enhanced by wine!)
I just did a quick search and found this operation within a couple miles (and if they are unable to help, they may well be able to guide you in the right direction):
https://www.lymanmorse.com/services/capabilities/

Lyman-Morse — Camden
59 Sea Street
Camden, Maine 04843
207-236-4378

Lyman-Morse Fabrication
19 Elltee Circle (location)
84 Knox Street (mail)
Thomaston, ME 04861
Jonathan Egan, General Manager
Tel 207-594-7655
Fax 207-594-7790

***Little farther south is:
Art's Marine Service, Inc.
232 North Shore Dr.
Owl's Head , ME 04854
(207) 594-7246

Hoping you find a quick solution which gets you back on the road.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:02 PM   #6

The 2008+ front brakes are indeed a bolt-on for older 2wd vans with stock front brakes. You may need longer hoses (I did on my 98) and to splice in the ABS sensor. BUT, it sounds like you have a 4wd that I’m guessing has a different front brake setup than stock?

I actually may be heading up that way in a few days in my van but that doesn’t help you any now :-( Good luck!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 05:53 AM   #7

Brian, Before the pad lining peeled off, we were in the Bar Harbor area last week. No color changes there and only a hint of color here in Camden.

My van is one of the first 4X4 upgrades done by Sportsmobile in Fresno. The Dynatrac 60 design uses the stock calipers. Is there a thread that describes how to splice the ABS sensor, the specs on the rotor, size of hole that will accommodate the larger studs and which studs to use when converting to the 2008 calipers and rotors?

We are driving to Portland, MA today. I carry a few tools and can remove and replace the caliper assembly, but I will need to have the rotors drilled. If I cannot do the upgrade myself (RV park rules generally prohibit working on vehicles), I may be forced to use both a repair shop and machine shop in Portland, MA.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:55 AM   #8

Brian, Before the pad lining peeled off, we were in the Bar Harbor area last week. No color changes there and only a hint of color here in Camden.

My van is one of the first 4X4 upgrades done by Sportsmobile in Fresno. The Dynatrac 60 design uses the stock calipers. Is there a thread that describes how to splice the ABS sensor, the specs on the rotor, size of hole that will accommodate the larger studs and which studs to use when converting to the 2008 calipers and rotors?

We are driving to Portland, MA today. I carry a few tools and can remove and replace the caliper assembly, but I will need to have the rotors drilled. If I cannot do the upgrade myself (RV park rules generally prohibit working on vehicles), I may be forced to use both a repair shop and machine shop in Portland, MA.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
As I was driving, the brake with the new pads locked up, the inner rim of the wheel broke off and dropped the van to the ground.

What? Brakes dragging don't cause that.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 05:01 PM   #10

The pads I got at NAPA were too thick to allow movement of the rotor. It was a bit more than dragging - the wheel would not turn at all but I kept pushing it... Over the past almost 20 years I have used the van in almost every type of terrain between the Mexican border and Alaska. I suspect that the rim may have had prior stressors that weakened the wheel and led to the catastrophic failure of the rim.