Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Where are you located? What anti-theft measures do think are most effective?
-I was wondering what "wire" i could intercept and put a simple hidden toggle switch on that would keep the van from starting.
Lots of threads on this subject, try the search function, but here's a recent one.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-21279.html

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'll post some random thoughts, some might be useful here..........

The E-Series vans are so vulnerable a 12 year old with a spoon can easily defeat the locks. Be sure to keep your Gummy Worms and/or Twizzlers out of sight! Honestly though the factory door locks are notoriously fragile and not known to deter thieves from trying to break in.

-I've been hit twice due my own stupidity---van(s) sitting in my driveway with very visible tool boxes etc, easy to see inside and not a bit of deterrent on either one. Since those incidents I've upgraded to siren-type alarms and installed dead bolt locks on the side and rear doors, operated by the alarm. There is a bit of a partition just behind the front seats (work truck) so even if access is through the front doors I'd not lose a lot, nothing super valuable anyway.

The dead bolt locks seem to completely undefeatable, at least to the average thief working in the street or out in the open. If they chose to attempt to steal the entire van and work on it later that's possible.

I do have a sun shade for the windshield and DIY side window covers I use all year round. So far that's probably deterred those who try peeking inside---if they look in the side or back (no covers) they'll easily see the armed alarm blinking light.

Soon to be installed DIY is a Ravelco----it'll be used to interrupt the starter and fuel pump. My "fear" is if they're intent of stealing the entire van the Ravelco will slow them down enough they'll abandon the effort. I'll have repairs to deal with by the van and its valuables will be still in my possession.

As for the alarm phone "apps" that alert someone a theft is in progress---what really would you do with such a notice? Would you physically confront them? Would you even be close enough to do much of anything? My own cynical thoughts are I'd be able to file a police report faster without having to visit the station but apart from that not much real deterrence or help after-the-fact.

The GPS trackers with substantial on-board battery back-up are a great idea. Were I to install one it would placed somewhere hidden from casual view, even if the van were placed on a lift it would be difficult to find. Perhaps inside an interior door or behind a trim panel, factory or other? Naturally after installing and activating check its transmission isn't obscured or blocked by its location.

So its sad the better appearing or visibly improved van is prone to break-ins or theft, that we're forced to take measures stopping theft---all at our expense with a somewhat limited hope of those actually working.

So anyway---best of luck to anyone protecting themselves from thieves.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #13

Garage
IMHO, I think there is some consensus around this three-point security strategy:

1 - Deadbolts. Make it really hard to get in. And out.

2 - Ravelco. They just can’t drive it away.

3 - GPS Tracker, well hidden. If they tow it away, at least you’ll know where it’s going.

So far, I’m 2 out of three. I want those deadbolts and wish somebody would just install them for me. I know, JWA, I could do it myself. But, so many projects, this keeps going down the list.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
SF Bay area, Portland and Seattle comprise probably 3/4 of vans ever reported stolen here.
These three cities all do have some pretty big similarities ranging from population, trouble policing, and auto-theft punishments that are hardly a deterrent- especially to people with "nothing to lose" to begin with, or already have a record a mile long and really don't care about making it longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I had a motorcycle stolen off a trailer in broad daylight in a busy mall parking lot in Daytona, just across from the speedway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Many years ago I had two motorcycles stolen from my garage, but since then I've never had any issues.

Bet there's a special place in the afterlife for people who steal bikes.
----------

@OP... It's a RNG.

My old man took the van down to the auto parts store here in Oakland a year ago (it's nothing beyond a standard E-250 with a standard clubwagon interior... nothing 'fancy' about it beyond 4wd) and some lowlife punched in the lock on my barn doors. Didn't even manage to get it open, just managed to totally mangle the lock and the door. It still doesn't open as it should, even though i have replaced all of the locks (What a royal pain in the ass), and the ignition.

Your best bet? Keep it in a garage. Your next best bet? Keep it out of "general" sight, but within yours (Ie, around secluded side of your/a friends house, back-yard parking, etc). Third/fourth/fifth best bets? Alarms/fuel-cutoff/GPS.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #15

Agree with everyone here. Treat your van as if it WILL get stolen. Trust that nowhere public is safe to park, and never say to yourself "it'll be fine". Unfortunately, in the current state of the world, vehicle theft is a low priority for police officers (especially in urban areas where the thefts happen). Stay vigilant!
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker44 View Post
Agree with everyone here. Treat your van as if it WILL get stolen. Trust that nowhere public is safe to park, and never say to yourself "it'll be fine". Unfortunately, in the current state of the world, vehicle theft is a low priority for police officers (especially in urban areas where the thefts happen). Stay vigilant!
Isn't that the truth. I had a small Toyota truck stolen once and the detective said that if I'm lucky joy-riders took it and it will show up on the side of the road or somewhere in next 24 hours and i should ride around and look for it...we don't look for stolen cars.... After that its probably in a container headed to South America. (Lived in Jacksonville FL at the time)
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
IMHO, I think there is some consensus around this three-point security strategy:

1 - Deadbolts. Make it really hard to get in. And out.

I want those deadbolts and wish somebody would just install them for me. I know, JWA, I could do it myself. But, so many projects, this keeps going down the list.
Missed this from Otter a few days ago---sorry about that!

If the deadbolts are installed with thoughts towards releasing them from inside when engaged its relatively easy. When I replaced the first run of The Auto Bolt due their failure I was highly concerned had they failed while engaged I'd have been royally screwed disengaging them. I opted for another style which allowed me to have a way to manually disengage them should that be necessary.

If you'd like to have them installed by a vendor contact one of the USA sellers of the type I used like these guys: https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_dead.htm. They don't install anything but might be able to direct you to someone fairly close to your location who does installations.

IF you go that route please contact me before purchase as I can provide a few lessons learned from my own DIY installations.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
KDB

Some areas are simply more prone than others. Pretty easy solutions though that should work 99.9% of the time: Get an alarm (yes it's worth a few hundred bucks), know your area, know your neighborhood, know your neighbors.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:04 PM   #19

Curtains or blacked out windows don't let would be smash n grab thieves see what's inside, if they can't see something they might like to have thius reduces the chances of them targeting your vehicle.
A kill switch is a great option for anti-theft of the vehicle itself but most people make the mistake of locating it near the drivers seat and within reach, this is the first place thieves are going to look,take the time tolocate the switch somewhere else like in a place only accessible when a back or side door is open or deep inside a cabinet, if it's conveneient for you then it's conveneient for them as well.
You have several options for the kill switch, you can tap into the fuel pump inertia switch behind the passenger kick panel, the injector power feed, you can kill power to the ECM or ignition but killing power to the starter relay is the most effective, ideally you don't even want them to be able to turn the engine over.
A wiring diagram or schematic will be helpful, lojack is useless because it is a subscription service and it is the decision of the police whether they have the time and resources to track down your vehicle, by the time they do it would most likely be stripped and/or burnt to the ground.
good luck and stay safe out there.
Jorje Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #20

I thought about building my own deadbolts but was concerned if they failed when engaged.
I know this will not secure every door but it does most.
I fitted a slide through plate type lock on the rear door, operated from inside, will slow anyone trying to get in that way.
I also left my widow insulated covers in, added a wire mesh layer, and added more insulation and a plywood sheet over the rear windows.
Others are straps and metal screw shackles, again applied from within and I have them on all doors for overnight use, I have a side slider, can be applied and removed in seconds.
When parking, that only leaves the drivers door as a weak point
Real low tech stuff I know but it let me use my riv nut gun.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200407_155541040.jpg   IMG_20200407_155515089.jpg  
asgard is offline   Reply With Quote