Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #21

At one time i considered adding LED security lights to the outside that would be triggered by a motion detector, if someone got too close to the van the motion sensor would turn on the lights ad deter the thieves, while this is not ideal in the daytime a siren or alarm bell could also be utilized, IMHO it is more better to keep the thieves from even approaching the vehicle but how far must one go to protect his/her property and to what extent or monetary investment must be paid to enact these measures, it's truly a messed up world we live in and there's always more then one way to skin a cat but put some serious thiught into itand decide what is the best option for you.

Jorje Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #22

RAVELCO
At least they will have a difficult time moving the van.......I'm west coast, Los Angeles and yes it's a hot bed of van thefts.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #23

I haven't had any issues yet but I do worry about it. I have an alarm in the van with a visible flashing LED. When parked in our driveway I keep coverings in all windows so nobody can see in.

I do plan on getting a Ravelco installed to make the van unable to be driven off. I am also considering putting exterior locks on the rear and barn doors. Thieves could still get in through the windows or the front doors so I'm not sure if those exterior locks would really help that much.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
"Yet" is the operative word in your post RLTilley----and I sincerely hope you never have such issues to deal with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I am also considering putting exterior locks on the rear and barn doors. Thieves could still get in through the windows or the front doors so I'm not sure if those exterior locks would really help that much.
IMHO highly visible exterior locks only serve to scream out loud you have stuff inside that's valuable. Good crooks can defeat those fairly easily so they're just not that effective regardless of the brand. They're common on work trucks so what deterrent they do or do not offer protection-wise is one thing---when they appear on a nicely appointed van sitting in a driveway smack dab in the middle of Surburbia---well can it [i]be[/i} any more obvious? (<<<<Chandler Bing like. )

However something like Slick Locks would be something I guess---it would force crooks to open the front doors which should trigger the alarm system. Ravelco is good if they're looking to drive it away---towing won't stop them though.

Sad as it is to say if they want inside or the whole thing not a lot really, really deters crooks.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #25

If you don't want the visual deterant of Sliclocks or something similar you can install a sliding gate type lock on the inside. It's a bit of a pain because you have to latch it from the inside, but no one will ever be able to get the door open from the outside without major effort.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #26

I'd be more worried about someone breaking in looking for expensive electronics and outdoor gear - bikes, laptops, cameras, drones, boats, etc. But, that might also be more aimed at Sprinters. Hard to say if an E-350 would draw the same attention for what could be inside of it.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I'd be more worried about someone breaking in looking for expensive electronics and outdoor gear - bikes, laptops, cameras, drones, boats, etc. But, that might also be more aimed at Sprinters. Hard to say if an E-350 would draw the same attention for what could be inside of it.
That was kind of the root of my original thinking when i started the thread....is it "just" a E350 van with boring stuff inside like carpet rolls and tile laying equipment?regardless of the visible exterior mods and so does a high end car/SUV have more to offer a dirtbag thief. I hadn't really thought about the Sprinter types since I'm not drawn to them but that is a good point, they probably do look more like a toybox than a E350.
As far as visible locks on the exterior, I tend to think they would have the would-be thief move on to easier prey rather than signal that there must be something worth the risk inside, so break in and see. Kinda like the "security alarm" sign in the front yard or home window.

Its a shame so much strategy has to be given to foil a thief from stealing your hard earned money.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #28

I look at it as a time vs benefit balance. Am I going to spend 40 hrs reinforcing my van to save a $2k mountain bike that has a 2% chance of getting stolen? Probably not. 8 hrs? Maybe. Especially if the work has some other benefit, like the blackout curtains that were already mentioned. The only stuff I've had stolen off of vehicles so far has been things on the exterior, namely spare tires. I also never leave it exposed whenever possible but sometimes it will sit at a trailhead for several hours or a couple days. I've had multiple friends/contacts that have had bikes stolen but it's always because they were in a high theft zone and very visible.

I do think if you have a built up 4x4 E-350 with bumpers and all kinds of goodies, it's clearly not a regular work van and will draw attention. I just know with all of the sprinters rolling around here we get looks from the people that know better - but usually get ignored.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote