Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #11

I'm glad Veeta is still cruising for coons. That pup is a good one.

Safe travels......send pics.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #12

"The plan may not survive the first day and route is subject to change on a whim's notice. "

I believe this is the only way to travel and by the way, there is a name for this, it's "Coddiwomple".......Coddiwomple (v.) To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.

It sounds like a terrific trip, send photos
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:49 AM   #13

Garage
Arctic, heard of the term and of course agree, thanks for defining.

Eric, well now, we have had skunk, coon, rabbit, squirrel, and armadillo encounters since. That skunk was not fun. I had to go get her away from it, the air was full of a wonderful (not) odor, finally got her going away and I look back, that damn skunk was following me. That was number 3 skunk. She doesn't like it, but not enough to stop her. She loves to travel.

Anyway, I'm about 80 miles south of Mackinaw Bridge. Yesterday was a transit day getting through OH and south MI, lots of people. Did 480 miles which is a lot for me.

Should be in the UP this morning and have photo opportunities.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
...I believe this is the only way to travel and by the way, there is a name for this, it's "Coddiwomple".......Coddiwomple (v.) To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination...
Well that word is now going to be part of my vocabulary. Forget #vanlife, for those in the know, it's now #coddiwomple

Herb
Old 06-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #15

Garage
Agree Herb.

Made it across Mackinaw Bridge to the UP:. Heading west.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210621_142145292.jpg  
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #16

Garage
Closer photo of the bridge. The great lakes are awesome. I see some breakers in the distance, but it wouldn't come out in a photo.

Passed through here a few years ago, drove around Lake Huron and took a ferry ride. Didn't go west.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210621_142156721.jpg  
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #17
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Great so far Marret! We go up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) the last couple years and LOVE it...not many people and gorgeous scenery, GREAT rock hunting! I would take (I think its...) Rt 123 to a road North (can't think of #) to the "Mouth of the Two-Hearted River" on the shore of Lake Superior...first come first serve (state park)...sandy hard-pack roads up there, easy to traverse well worth it!

Then I would look into FJ Mclain SP on the peninsula east of there...another gorgeous SP with awesome sunsets etc...if you DO like rock hunting, agates are abundant up there!

Note the "Picture Rocks" NP is NOW on a reservation only system b/c of crowds...USED to be able to boondock up there...bummer....I guess head south from there to do the Greenbay area (will hve to back track N) but hit Chicago then to I-80 to head west to Wyoming, head North to Tetons, over, more heading North (I would go to Seattle, then over Puget Sound (Ferry or HWY) west until/to catch up to HWY 1 on the coast of the Pacific down to Redwoods in N Cali, Gold Bluffs Beach SP, then back home through Reno, across "loneliest HWY" in Nevada...etc
Attached Thumbnails
81AE7A55-8AFA-4EE7-B645-E00B130F2497.jpg   E14CAA75-A85F-4DF5-8AF2-7ED0DC6591A0.jpg   7B4B76EB-7C39-49A5-B4B9-DFE9727FFEC7.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #18

Garage
Nice ctb, great photos and thanks for the info. Wish I had time for the west coast.

Weather was super windy and rainy today. My cruise control was having problems, probably a brake light switch so I just drove through so I can take care of that tomorrow.

Seems one needs to be on the shore line in the UP otherwise so many trees and limited visibility. Actually too many people here today, may be like that now in a lot of places, and as you mentioned some places are going to reservations due to crowds including Going to the Sun Road.

Unfortunately don't have time to explore the west coast, but I lived in CA twice and done much before including Sequoia, 17 mile drive, Yosemite, loneliest road, Seattle area (sister used to live there) Olympic NP, etc. Hopefully I'll get back again.

Honesty not sure how far west I'll make it for a number of reasons.

Tonight in Oconto WI. On Green Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210621_214358783.jpg  
Old 06-22-2021, 04:10 AM   #19

Garage
Sunrise over Green Bay with Veeta.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210622_095330052.jpg  
Old 06-22-2021, 04:34 AM   #20

Garage
WOW - that’s a sight that sets the bar for all other sunrises you’ll see going forward.