Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2024, 08:50 AM   #41

You do not want to be this guy. I'm not sure what is going on in his mind; maybe things are different on the East Coast.

In Az when the park ranger comes and gives you a friendly reminder that you are exceeding a 14 day limit., You don't just blow him off.

This guy is no trouble maker and always seems to be very conscious about being legal and abiding by the laws. BUT SOMEHOW all that diligence fell into a black hole when he was "alone in the woods".

here is a sampling of comments to the video below:

@coldnorthAK
@coldnorthAK
1 year ago
14 day policy is to keep people from squatting. Sucks when they squat on a premium spot for an extended period. Sounds like the ranger was pretty understanding.

@250krawler
@250krawler
1 year ago
I'd say your attitude is what caught the rangers attention and your idiocy is what prompted the return trip and it won't be the last if this is how you and your dog conduct yourselves on public land.

@flappinwings7274
@flappinwings7274
1 year ago
You're going to blame him now? You are the one staying more than 14 days. And when it says "Road Closed".......that's what it means. It doesn't say go ahead and we won't say anything. Sorry, my respect for you dropped a few points.

@michaelmadafferi3256
@michaelmadafferi3256
1 year ago
the 2 week rule is to give others opertunity to camp in that spot !

@albinoguidedog
@albinoguidedog
1 year ago
Buddy, you admitted to breaking the rules multiple times. That's why so many camp grounds get closed and why parks keep getting more regulations. Follow the rules just like everyone else.

posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:37 AM   #42

In my research on this subject I have found that tanks are not cheap. Many variables tie into fresh water tank selection. The first being internal or external placement depending on your type of camping, additional factors come into play. Cold weather means you will need a tank warmer which may lead to needs of battery capacites increased to compensate the ah draw on the house system. In this case, Internal would be best
because your heating the sleeping area already. Obviously the same issue is included with a Grey tank placed in the exterior but you have no choice with that for drainage needs. I have used a surplus RV business near me. New items that are left over from several local big RV builders like Fleetwood. I have purchased RV items such as tanks, cabinet and Exterior doors, pumps, appliances and more. They use to charge $1.00 a gallon on tanks back when I built a 26' toy box with shower and kitchen.
3/4" hose would be fine for grey tank with a sink strainer and easier to route in your undercarriage. For my taste, I would stay away from roller coaster routing and a bottom fill just because of sediment deposites such as cooking grease from rinses, fine foods. Many of us have seen the exit 3/4" hose out of a garbage disposer, or even heater hoses on a car how calcium, corrosion and junk builds up in them, that's my opinion.
Another factor is what type of camping you do. I for one do remote locations mostly desert, a pool of Bio safe soap is obviously not going to be 200 feet near a water source and the composition of the desert would greatly increase the biological breakdown of the soap used if released.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:17 AM   #43

So to the internal / vs external mounting. Internal on the fresh water side is not an option. IF I could manage a stowage box on the back door and get my Jolca HOTTAP setup stowed there, I could absolutely fit a 15 gallon gray tank under the sink inside, That is funding I do not have at this point. But something I do want... Aluminess or Weldtec rear bumper with swing away style spare tire carrier on drivers side, and stowage box on passengers side obviously with relocated license plate and plate lights... And that is long term goal material along with 4wd conversion. (budget staying what it is now, will happen in 2025).

Unitl that time I may do the recovery method I have been which is drain into a flexible 5 gallon container and swap out when empty. I have 2 of them...

In the situation posplayr showed, no matter what I do I would never be considered self contained for the purposes of that regulation, which makes me wonder what about those that have travel trailers with casette toilets instead of fixed black tanks. But just because it is an incredibly stupid regulation does not mean I will resist it, it is easy enough to just not camp there...

I have discussed the gray water issue with several rangers and none of them even can seem to agree. Some say ALL gray water, others couldn't care less if you discharge shower water direcctly but thou shalt collect all gray water that would have food waste in it. I try to be prepared for both situations... Kind of tough to do with a shower tent...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
In my research on this subject I have found that tanks are not cheap. Many variables tie into fresh water tank selection. The first being internal or external placement depending on your type of camping, additional factors come into play. Cold weather means you will need a tank warmer which may lead to needs of battery capacites increased to compensate the ah draw on the house system. In this case, Internal would be best
because your heating the sleeping area already.
I don't really plan on snow camping but I have also experienced the panic of having a sudden freeze come through and you have no way of protecting your tanks.

I was planning on a sort of freebie dual freshwater recirculation system for both cold (fresh) and hot water. You can use the same solenoid valve but with two separate thermal setpoint controllers.

The hot water recirculation senses the temperature at the outlet of an accumulator tank that is close to feeding all the hot water faucets. So it is similar to a residential hot water circulation system but it is controlled by the controller rather than constantly on.

I plan on doing this with a tankless on-demand water heater which may seem like an oxymoron, but my thinking is I would rather circulate the lukewarm hot water back to the fresh water tank rather than let it run down the drain to get hot water to the tap.

The cold water circulation is a hydronic heater type of strategy where you raise the freshwater supply to something like 70 degrees F. You use a similar thermal controller connected to the same solenoid you just sense at the cold fresh water tank. This could work whether the Fresh tank is inside of outside, but you probably do not need to keep it as warm if it is mounted outside. This will also take a load off of the on-demand heater because raising temp from 70 deg f rather than 40 degF is going to make the output of the heater much more reliable. If the control is tight enough, then no mixing valve would be required.

While the typical heating solutions are based on electrical power, I have two alternatives to this that should relieve the heating requirements (I'm looking at about 10 amps of heating load for holding tanks).

The first is pretty straightforward forward although a little messy as you have an increased leak hazard. I would use the same principle on the fresh water tank, but instead of heating the grey/black tanks with fresh water, you use a heat exchange and run glycol through them. you would need a circulation pump when the solenoid was engaged.

The second method would be to use electrical house power, but have the option to power using a pair of PTC's that use the heat from a parking heater. A voltage-sensitive relay could switch between house battery power or the PTC depending upon the heat available from the thermoelectric generator (from heat).

I have measured the parking heater muffler temp and it is close to 300 degF. That gives plenty of opportunity to capture some of that heat energy and convert to electrical (to run heaters) saving on house battery Amp-Hrs.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post

The second method would be to use electrical house power, but have the option to power using a pair of PTC's that use the heat from a parking heater. A voltage-sensitive relay could switch between house battery power or the PTC depending upon the heat available from the thermoelectric generator (from heat).

I have measured the parking heater muffler temp and it is close to 300 degF. That gives plenty of opportunity to capture some of that heat energy and convert to electrical (to run heaters) saving on house battery Amp-Hrs.
Okay so I am intrigued. The camper stays so warm in above freezing temps to begin with the heat is rarely needed, and when heat for the interior is needed heat for the water tankis is needed.

What exactly is a PTC and how would that work?

I too don't "plan" on snow camping, but I have had snow / sub freezing temps hit me in the mountains in July before...
Old 02-23-2024, 02:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
Okay so I am intrigued. The camper stays so warm in above freezing temps to begin with the heat is rarely needed, and when heat for the interior is needed heat for the water tankis is needed.

What exactly is a PTC and how would that work?

I too don't "plan" on snow camping, but I have had snow / sub freezing temps hit me in the mountains in July before...

Thermoelectric systems
Using thermoelectric modules, a thermoelectric system generates power by taking in heat from a source such as a hot exhaust flue. To operate, the system needs a large temperature gradient, which is not easy in real-world applications. The cold side must be cooled by air or water. Heat exchangers are used on both sides of the modules to supply this heating and cooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermo...r%20or%20water.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:09 PM   #47

So... kind of the same idea as what they use for those fans powered by a wood stove? Sort of a Peltier device kind of thing, but instead of the current creating the difference in temperatures, the difference in temps creates the current? That could be very interesting...

Theoretically a couple of these if they were small enough, could be attached to a larger size muffler to generate power for some low power tank heaters, so waste energy from the heater could be redirected to keep the tanks above freezing...

Have you seen this done?
Old 02-23-2024, 03:27 PM   #48
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
That is a loaded question that I will not justify with an answer.

At this point, I have already posted too much, but since it seems to have been for naught but I will spell this out.

Some people who are from "out of the area", are not familiar with or understand that park rangers represent the law; they are not some kind of etiquette monitors. They carry a gun for a reason.

Even your friendly "park host" represents the law, and you will figure that out soon enough by not following their instructions.

Any dealing with hazardous materials in CA is taken very seriously, so again you are forewarned about potential consequences and a low tolerance for not following the "rules".
I would never suggest someone blow off instructions by a park ranger.

I'm just puzzled by this assertion that they will (apparently) pull a gun on me if I can't prove I have a gray water tank as large as my fresh water tank? No one has ever even asked me to show what size tanks Sportsmobile installed 34 years ago.

I would never suggest deliberately going out with a build that flaunts the law, but I'm confused by the level of scrutiny you seem to think everyone's being subjected to when they go camping.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
So... kind of the same idea as what they use for those fans powered by a wood stove? Sort of a Peltier device kind of thing, but instead of the current creating the difference in temperatures, the difference in temps creates the current? That could be very interesting...

Theoretically a couple of these if they were small enough, could be attached to a larger size muffler to generate power for some low power tank heaters, so waste energy from the heater could be redirected to keep the tanks above freezing...

Have you seen this done?
From the Wikipedia link above

Thermoelectric systems
Using thermoelectric modules, a thermoelectric system generates power by taking in heat from a source such as a hot exhaust flue
. To operate, the system needs a large temperature gradient, which is not easy in real-world applications. The cold side must be cooled by air or water. Heat exchangers are used on both sides of the modules to supply this heating and cooling.

The main challenge is maintaining a 66 degC temperature gradient across the 3 or so mm PTC device.

If you go to the web and look at the fumblings of various Youtube experts you will see that they struggle to get much energy out of such an approach because they generally use a heat sink with an electric fan to get the heat out of the cold side.

Heat flows by one or more of the following three methods:
  1. Radiation
  2. Convection
  3. Conduction

The heat-side is usually always conduction (e.g. putting the PTC hot side against a stove or exhaust pipe)

Cold-side Convection (using heat sink fins and fan) is very common but not that great for this application. I saw one low-volume commercial application for an ice house heater and it was limited to 45 Watts. Enough to charge a phone and an LED light but not enough for 100 watts of thermoelectric power generation.

I'm going to try conduction on the cold-side as well. The frame of the van is a large piece of metal that has a whole lot of cooling surface area.

So the challenge is to get the heat conducted into the cold side to disperse through the frame quickly so that the cold side remains reasonably below 100 degF within a few inches of the PTC.

I did a few calculations to see if it is feasible.

Assume a 300 deg F muffler (149 DegC)
By the time you couple this to the Hot-side you might lose 25 degC putting the hot-side at 124 degC.

Then the max temperature differential for the PTC is 66 degC putting the cold side at 58 degC (136 degF);

If you are sitting in cold weather under threat of a freeze warning the frame will certainly be in the range of 40 degF. Assuming the heat can be dispersed well enough you should be able to keep the frame in close proximity to the cold side PTC well below 136 degF and be able to maintain the full 66 degC temperature gradient across the PTC.

I have a couple of these somewhere along with some 3/16" alum plate. They are rated at 6Amp @ 12V. As mentioned previously I would use a voltage-controlled relay to switch between the Haus battery +12v and the +12V PTC to power the immersion heaters in the tanks. If the heater goes off and the PTC cools down the VCR will switch back to house power when the PTC voltage drops.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234301912631

You can get an idea of how much energy you will need to raise the temperature of the water in the holding tanks.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/water-heating

For my 18.5 gal and 9-gallon tanks, I picked 48V 600W and 300W respectively. At 13.2V the current draw is 3.5A and 1.8A (total 5.3A) and 45 W and 23W (total 68W ) respectively.

At 1/2 full it should take 5 hours to raise the temp 10 degF. When full it will take double that.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

If you compare these direct immersion heater elements to the foam type that you strap to the outside of a tank, I think the former is going to be much more effective.

This FACON is speced at 65W (13.5 VDC and 4.8A); it is supposed to effectively warm up to a 50-gallon tank. The biggest issue that got me off these things is the very loose tolerance there is on the thermal switch control. The heater will come on temperatures drop to 45 degF, but it will probably never go off because, with the hysteresis, the heater will not shut off till 68 degF!! Unless you shut these off manually, the amp-hour load to heat the holding tanks from 40 degF to 68 degF (+28 degrees) is probably twice what it takes to just hold above freezing from 45 degrees F.

Secondly, the conduction of the foam pad through the plastic=/ABS tank wall is not going to be nearly as efficient as the immersion heating element which would account for yet another 50% reduction in Amp-hr heating efficiency.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18598847107...Bk9SR9Cks8C7Yw

The picture below shows a frame mounting location for the muffler on the passenger side rear wheel well. The exhaust will come from a petrol heater right in front of the wheel well and exit behind that rear tire where the engine exhaust pipe is. I'm using a 1" piece of galvanized fence pipe because it will fare better than the thin stainless stuff if rocks and mud come flying up from the tire.

In any event, this is still an experimental system that I plan to prototype in the next month. Suffice it to say there are several details to be worked out and various design choices that should make this an efficient way to reduce the requirements for excess battery capacity to heat holding tanks.

As mentioned before if this fails, I would use the recirculation method where heat comes from the on-demand water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7408.jpg  
Old 02-24-2024, 12:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I'm just puzzled by this assertion that they will (apparently) pull a gun on me if I can't prove I have a gray water tank as large as my fresh water tank?
I think it is absurd to think that a Park ranger would never their gun on a sufficiently obstinate and self-centered visitor.