Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #31

After reading all of these posts on the Deaver springs, we are seriously considering this upgrade and before dropping $2500 just want to be sure. Currently in our 2005 EB SMB 4x4, when we hit a speed bump or a dip in the road, it's really rough (even harsh) and jars the whole van. Even driving rough highways gets old after a while. Do the Deaver springs cushion the ride at all in the front? The front for us is more of an issue than the rear. Taking the van off road just beats the crap out of it and the passengers. Are these new springs that good? It's an expensive upgrade but would be worth every penny if it improved the way the van rides.

Thanks,
Marc

Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #32

Marc,

We just had our springs installed by Deaver last Thursday, then hit the road Friday for the Eastern Sierra. We have an '07 SMB 4x4 RB w/7k miles and were able to log 700 miles (600 on road/100 off) since installation. I was not stoked to dump another $2500+ on springs, to get a ride that was going to be 'better'. We took the plunge and I am glad we did. it is hard paying that much for something where the result is hard to guage or predict.

Reasons I wanted to upgrade:
Hard ride.
Even small bumps on freeway were felt as jolts.
Pulling to driveways at an angle, the van rocked violently side-to-side which did not feel right to me.
Going over speed bumps at slow speeds, it felt like there was no travel to absorb the load.
The interior took rough hits off road, especially washboards. It felt like everything was coming apart.

Here is what Deaver did:
I took our van there 6 weeks ago. They did a complete inspection and measured the orig ride height, asked questions about towing or other added weight loads on rear hitch receiver. I gave them a deposit and four weeks later, the leaf packs were ready for install.
Installation was very clean, all high-grade hardware. Old Ford springs have four leafs, Deavers have 8-10. Also leaf springs have teflon plastic spacers to reduce 'stiction" during spring travel.
More articulation (SMB took the rear lift block and replace it w/one that is 1.5" or 2" high. Stock were 4". Deaver installed smaller front bump stops too, increasing travel.
Level the van's ride (rear springs sagged).

Freeway ride:
S-m-o-o-t-h.
My wife commented on a more comfortable ride.
Steering is better.

Off-road:
Less interior vibration on washboard.
Less jolt on big hits.
More control on steep, uneven climbs.

What sealed the deal was a conversation I had with a manager at SMB West. I put him to task about how crappy the ride was on our van, which was basically new. He said they could put Old man Emu springs on it, but said it might be "rougher". He said that ideally, he "would have Deaver springs installed in all of the vehicles", but that is not realistic since each van has diffferent weights, loads and uses...and not eveyone would want to pay more $ for this.

Considering the 4x4 vans cost $80-100k+, what the hell is another $2,500 when it's all about the ride quality? At the minimum, SMB should offer this as an upgrade. As it is, I've already paid for 4 pair of HD springs now...with two pair slightly used Ford springs that are sitting in Deaver's lot.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #33
Site Team

Garage
Jeff do you have the partial wrap backup spring still or did they remove them?
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #34

Garage
OK, I'm thinking about this upgrade. I am not having too much of a problem with the washboard, as I air down and that sure helps. But, I am very tired of the rocking side to side and a bit too much sag. My van is 10 months old with 10K miles. OME's are as good as Bilsteins.

Is this Deaver company in Santa ANA, CA?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #35

Jeff,

Thanks for the detailed response. We spoke to Jeff at Deaver end of last week and we went ahead and put down the deposit for the new springs. One question; with your new springs, you eliminated the original 4" lift block in the back and when you installed the deaver springs, you then added a 1 1/2" to 2" lift block?

Thanks, Marc
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #36

Jeff,

Yes, Deaver is in Santa Ana, on 2nd Avenue 5 miles off the I-5 freeway.

Marc, Deaver removed the rear pair SMB lift blocks which were huge and installed much smaller ones...primairly to get the correct level, I think.

I have not driven on washboard aired down, but I am sure it is a plush ride combined with the springs. A Saline Valley trip would prove that point!

I'm heading back up to Sierra thsi weekend & plan to do more off road trips.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #37

Saline Valley is a good test for all vehicle suspension, big and small.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #38

Garage
Jeff, when you say that you have not driven on washboard aired down, do you mean just since the new springs? I hope so. Your tires are your first and most important part of your suspension and ride comfort.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #39

Deaver

Canyonclan ,
Whose shocks did did Jeff use on your Van ? I am waiting on adjustable Bilsteins for my new 11 Leaf setup by Deaver .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #40

11 springs? Really? My SMB has five springs front and rear. Are you guys keeping the number of springs front and rear the same? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of going through a relatively local custom spring shop as I'm too far from Deavers.