Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #301
Site Team

Re: What work did you do on your SMB today?

Well, it was yesterday and not today, but...I destroyed one PH mounted rear work light, and bent up the mounting bracket for the other one.

The city was paving my street yesterday, but when I got home from work in the SMB, the street had been opened up again. Since I knew the combination of the semi-firm, brand new asphalt, and the heavy weight of the SMB wasn't a good combination, I decided to park on my driveway instead of the street, where I typically park.

Backed the SMB up the driveway, and low and behold, the fascia on the front overhang of my home's roof is the perfect height to take out my Hella worklights. What a bonehead move! Upon closer inspection today, I see a small chip on the PH roof, but it sure could have been much worse. Better to replace 1 or 2 Hella lights, than have structural damage to the PH roof. I have some pics and will post them up as soon as my dignity allows.

I figured this qualified work on my SMB since I gave myself plenty of new work to do. Where's that "bonehead" smilie?

Herb

Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #302
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Well, it was yesterday and not today, but...I destroyed one PH mounted rear work light, and bent up the mounting bracket for the other one.
Herb

OK just trying to cheer you up. But sorry to hear that you messed up your lights. Maybe this will help

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #303

Replaced the crown cam ring on my pass side Dynaloc (warranty and with the new and improved version), lubed the Atlas shifters as the front axle shifter was getting a little rattley.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #304

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Need more info...
I have Dynalocs from about Aug '08. Am I ready for an upgrade? And, if so to what?
Bill
Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #305

My pass hub started failing at around 1500 miles. The crown cam ring was getting ate up. The new ring has a single simple hole drilled into it to aid, I assume, in lubrication. I haven't heard back if that's the case.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #306

I've broken a lot of Warn hubs in my longish career, and kind of hoped that the Dynalocs would end that carnage.
Bill
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #307

Skywagon, with mine, the center piece that is held onto the stub axle via the loc ring was rubbing against the inside of the crown cam ring and wearing a rather substantial groove in the ring. Problem with that is the metal bits that then get in the grease and thus further enhancing the problem. This is only happening on my pass side. As it was, I was having to clean and grease the hub every 900 miles or so to prevent further problems (for example, had to clean and grease before I left for Moab and while in Moab before heading home -I've got it down to a 20-min chore). We'll see if this new ring is the cure or not. Somehow, I doubt it. Unless there is a way to keep the stub axle from having any play in it, I suspect this problem will continue. The center part is shown here (the part being held in the hand):

The crown cam ring, or whatever, is shown in this image:

So, check the inside the a crown cam ring for wear. If you are not experiencing any, then looks like you are good to go. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #308

Thanks, Deminimis-
How did you know that it actually was failing? Did it make a noise? Did it get hot? did it quit working? Did it send out for pizza? Or, do you just take your hubs apart every 900 mi. to make sure they're OK? I hate stuff that doesn't work as advertised!
Bill
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #309

I could feeling it through the steering wheel. When checked, hub was hot. Know how hard it is to buy good wheel bearing grease in Baja on Jan 1? Yea, you can't where we were. Shortened up the trip.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #310

Thanks
Bill