Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #3381

Interesting setup. Nice that even w/out direct airflow and fan being tucked underneath you're still getting that much cooling. Will add this to my cooling options when I do mine as I'm seeing similar temps in long grades. Any chance you could get some more pics of the mounting and plumbing? Thanks for sharing.

Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:26 PM   #3382

Garage
Oogs,
I took a couple pictures just now, but they don't showcase what your looking for. The cooler sits between two cross braces which run from one frame rail to the other, and the bracket they made to hold the cooler attaches to these. It fits so perfectly there is only about 1/4" between the two so pic's don't show anything

As far as plumbing, they simply ran the trans fluid-line directly from the trans to the Derale, and then it takes its normal path to the OEM cooler/radiator - the return line from the radiator to the trans didn't change.
The decision to use the Derale boiled down to the convenience of being able to engage the fan at any time if I feel its warranted, and I just couldn't get behind the Tru-Cool 40,000gvu mod because of the Frankensteined fittings required (although many have successfully been using that system, I personally would not feel confident with it).
Old 04-09-2023, 03:38 PM   #3383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Delayed posting so I could test our new Trans cooler system. First, I have to thank Chris (unreng) since he inspired my selection and was very helpful in answering many questions - His build was the motivation I needed.
Had it installed Sept 2022 but hadn't had the opportunity to take the van out in different scenarios to see if it it was everything I hoped for. Took a couple months to 'dial it in' (achieving the proper thermostat setting since initially it ran too cool), but can now say the installation of the Derale 15870 Hyper-Cool extreme Trans Cooler, and a manual dash controlled fan over-ride switch is a game changer! (I haven't even needed to use the fan over-ride, although did test it a couple times).
I've driven the van now in many scenarios including a couple long slow steep uphill crawls, and long uphill highway sections which in the past both challenged my Trans temps - never went above 190 degrees (same roads I've hit 225 - 233).
We left the OEM trans cooler intact, and mounted the Derale cooler behind the transfer case & above the rear driveshaft. It's spliced into the Trans cooling system so it first accepts fluid from the transmission, then continues to the OEM cooler - An unexpected reward is it has also lowered the Coolant temps, seems it's taken some of the heat out prior to reaching the radiator.
The shop I use also fabbed a Drive Shaft safety loop with a thin protective plate (designed similar to a mini skid plate positioned between the drive shaft & cooler) which will provide some protection for the cooler from road debris - just haven't been back yet to install.
Definitely one of my favorite mods!
Pic shows location of cooler mounted (can see it in the upper right; prior to rear diff):
This is great information! I am always keeping an eye on my transmission temperatures.

The underside of your van looks so clean...did you repaint your differential cover and sway bar? If so what was the finish process? I am looking to clean mine up...has some road rash from Colorado (surface rust, etc.). Not losing sleep over it but would like to clean it up a bit. I'm not into the undercoating just rust converter and maybe paint.
MauiSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:07 PM   #3384

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSportsmobile View Post
The underside of your van looks so clean...did you repaint your differential cover and sway bar? If so what was the finish process? I am looking to clean mine up...has some road rash from Colorado (surface rust, etc.). Not losing sleep over it but would like to clean it up a bit. I'm not into the undercoating just rust converter and maybe paint.
No cleaning and/or painting - For the last 8 years I've been using the WD40 Corrosion Inhibitor once or twice a year...spray everything up underneath, including nooks & crannies. I also use a rag drench with the stuff and wipe areas difficult to spray effectively (and wipe off overspray). It works fantastic! They claim it lasts a year, but I've found it actually last longer - I just keep applying because it's proven to be so effective. Diff cover is about 3 or 4yrs old, and sway Bar was put on last year.
If you just have a little surface rust, spray this over it and it pretty much goes away.
Normally takes 7-8 cans, about two hours, and a couple beers.
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...ps%2C96&sr=8-4

Old 04-10-2023, 03:39 AM   #3385

Garage
Thanks Felix, the cooler looks fantastic as does the undercarriage.

Would you mind sharing shop info for the cooler? Diesel shop?

Unfortunately it looks like there might be some corrosion on the exhaust you need to get after.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:29 AM   #3386

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Would you mind sharing shop info for the cooler? Diesel shop?
Chris, I’ve been using Maryland Performance Diesel for 8yrs now - very talented group that’s been building high Perf diesel engines (they race their own as well) so they’re well versed in modifying & fabrication. They ordered the Derale and all the parts after they convinced me the Mishimoto trans cooler I bought was just just too large to put in front of the radiator.
Not too far from you. Call ahead though, they’re swamped with ‘fleet’ service.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #3387

Garage
Thanks Felix
Old 04-10-2023, 10:23 AM   #3388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
No cleaning and/or painting - For the last 8 years I've been using the WD40 Corrosion Inhibitor once or twice a year...spray everything up underneath, including nooks & crannies. I also use a rag drench with the stuff and wipe areas difficult to spray effectively (and wipe off overspray). It works fantastic! They claim it lasts a year, but I've found it actually last longer - I just keep applying because it's proven to be so effective. Diff cover is about 3 or 4yrs old, and sway Bar was put on last year.
If you just have a little surface rust, spray this over it and it pretty much goes away.
Normally takes 7-8 cans, about two hours, and a couple beers.
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...ps%2C96&sr=8-4

Felix thank you so much for the useful information. I did a lot of research but didn't run across the WD40 product. Definitely will try this! This forum is great...a great group of people sharing information!
MauiSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #3389

Just removed one of the couch cushions and added lockable storage with a counter top. Can easily be converted back.
Attached Thumbnails
169CF6C9-82A5-4576-85CD-173799918298.jpg   6512819E-0611-432D-BC0D-844B5747D07F.jpg   763AF854-FA5B-4791-80F7-3A01B90C58D7.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:22 AM   #3390

Nothing major but I’m really happy with this leather steering wheel wrap. It took a couple hours to lace up. Gives the wheel a nice grip.

I used L3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B084Q...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
3D4CE67B-A9E2-4E66-9F3F-820CDB591879.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote