Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

WTF? Again?

I don’t understand. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replaced the brakes on my 2001 E250. Each time, the inside pads are completely worn, while the outside ones are about half. Today while doing maintenance I discovered that despite having only 15K miles and one year of use, once again the inside pads are shot. At the last brake job, I replaced the pads, abutment clips, calipers, caliper brackets and all the brake lines thinking one or the other was sticking. The slide pins and bushings are clean, well greased and move freely. I’ve always put a light coating of grease on the spots where the pads slide over the clips, but I assume it washes off very quickly. Both sides show the same wear, with the inside pads being the ones with excessive wear. Am I doomed to doing a yearly brake job?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0937 (1).jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Fronts only?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

Permatex makes a purple brake caliper grease that is VERY persistent. I've never had any sticking issues since going to that stuff. Old piston seals can cause some stiction too, but you just addressed that with the recent swap. One thing that brake piston don't like is sitting. RVs get stiction problems frequently. But expeditors seem to go hundreds of thousands of miles between calipers.

FWIW - I get about 120,000 out of a set of front pads.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Hmm....I know this has been a dilemma. What pads you been using? maybe just the wrong composition for a heavy rig? I’ve had good luck using Akebono pads in the past, running Napa premium in the front now,
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Fronts only?
So far, just the rears, but I haven't checked the fronts yet because I've got the wheels off the back and I'm out of jackstands.
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Hmm....I know this has been a dilemma. What pads you been using? maybe just the wrong composition for a heavy rig? I’ve had good luck using Akebono pads in the past, running Napa premium in the front now,
I've run several different types, including the Napa premium, these were Powerstop extreme truck and tow carbon fiber. Common sense would seem to indicate that something is sticking, but I've replaced the calipers twice and the brake lines too and made sure everything was lubed up well. Including the original calipers, I'm on the third set. At least I caught it prior to wrecking the rotors, but not my much.
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Permatex makes a purple brake caliper grease that is VERY persistent. I've never had any sticking issues since going to that stuff. Old piston seals can cause some stiction too, but you just addressed that with the recent swap. One thing that brake piston don't like is sitting. RVs get stiction problems frequently.
I'm beginning to think the Ford calipers are just a crappy design. It's also possible since I've changed them twice due to this problem and since you can't buy new ones, that the rebuilds are just poor quality. One thing for sure, sitting isn't a problem with my van, prior to the shutdown, I was on the road more than I was home. I'm not sure where to go from here, replacing the same old parts doesn't seem to be helping..............
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

That it is happening over and over and with all new components would have me starting to look for a caliper mounting surface alignment issue relative to the rotor?? Is the rotor properly locating relative to the caliper mounting surface?? Axle flange ?Maybe grasping but something else seems to be in play here.

The pad with the piston is wearing faster?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #9

Bent mounting bolts / pins?? Been a while since I have dealt with my van brakes so do not remember all the pieces. Some components were not replaced right?

Edit: I see you said pins are moving freely and smoothly, hmmmmm....

Have you checked the PVC valve Just tripping on the V10 thread, sorry.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #10

Proportioning valve. How much braking is your rears actually doing?

It's just odd to me that it's so symmetrical right and left. It's my experience anything sticking or bent isn't very symmetrical.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote