Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 10:43 PM   #11

Maybe these drawings will help at least locate the sensor
Attached Thumbnails
20230130_134323.jpg   20230130_134338.jpg  

Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:05 AM   #12

Thanks all! I’ll look into this more based on your suggestions.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:42 AM   #13

Yes, it's an OEM option but it's also a shared part with older F150's. Our van is a 2002 and I grabbed an overhead console and temperature sensor off a 2001 F150 with a similar interior colour. The F150 changed somewhere between our 2002 and your 2011 but the E-Series didn't so you should still be good to use one off an old F150. I mention this because there are a lot more 20 year old F150's in junk yards than there are Chateau E-Series vans.

You can find the sensor near the radiator on the F150 and there's an existing hole in our vans to bolt it up.

There are two holes in the ceiling that corresponds to the 2 holes in the overhead console.

In our case I had a very simple plywood headliner that I upholstered to match our build. The curves on the console didn't match, but I was able to cut down the high points to get a pretty tight fit.

No photos of the wiring but I believe it's fairly simple to wire up.
2 wires to the sensor, I followed a hole in our firewall that an alarm installer left behind. 1 wire to the ACC light (or whatever it's called) to adjust brightness and turn off when the ignition is off. I spliced off the head unit for this one.
1 wire to the VSS that I still need to tap. The console uses this to determine if the vehicle is in motion. If it doesn't get a signal the temperature will still work but it will only go down. The idea is that the VSS needs to return a signal that the vehicle is moving or the console thinks the increase in temperature is due to radiant heat from the engine/radiator. If it's moving it's getting "true" outdoor temp. If it's parked it's getting engine heat. In our 2002 the VSS is grey with a black line, and it's readily available in the bundle by the brake fluid reservoir. I just haven't had 30 mins to finish the job. (Typical...)
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #14

Pics if the imbedding didn't work. I've never used that free service before...
https://ibb.co/hd1bwcr
https://ibb.co/R4MJgYW
https://ibb.co/Cw2kKhd
https://ibb.co/gVFqnV4
Old 02-02-2023, 10:52 AM   #15

Garage
Well done keyman - On both the explanation & overhead fitment! I’m now pondering installing one since your explanation (with pic’s) makes it seem very simple and straightforward.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
There are two holes in the ceiling that corresponds to the 2 holes in the overhead console.

Thank you for this writeup - this inspires me to add one of these to my van. Do you suppose the 2 mounting holes are built into every van, just not used if no headliner was factory installed?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #17

Forgot to add, I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the console and used a rubber grommet to mount the microphone for our head unit. A little cleaner than the clip on bracket on the sun visor. (Little black circle between the temp display and the sunglass holder.)

https://ibb.co/q78dmy7

Our van is garage kept so having the outdoor temp, a place to put my sunglasses, a spot for the mic AND a spot for our garage clicker makes this one of my favourite mods to date.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Thank you for this writeup - this inspires me to add one of these to my van. Do you suppose the 2 mounting holes are built into every van, just not used if no headliner was factory installed?
Yeah the square holes should be on every van since it's the same body. If the van was made to have the console there would have been some sort of plastic or metal screw backing in those square holes. I used some of those big E-Z lock drywall anchors.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I used some of those big E-Z lock drywall anchors.
Perfect solution (and cheap). Do you recall having to connect to an external compass, or is the compass built into the circuitry?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #20

The compass is built in to the console and ours just worked. I think there are calibration details in the owners manual (from an F150) if needed.

I also forgot to add that if your van has the same sun visors that ours had, you'll need to shorten them by an inch or two. I don't have any photos of this process but I used a seem ripper to remove the piping on the curved section. Then I trimmed an inch or so off the cardboard inner and vinyl before sewing the piping back down.