Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #1

All batteries charging on shore power?

I know this has been asked before on the site but I don't understand the responses. I have a 2006 E350 6.0 with a Tripp Lite inverter. When I'm plugged into shore power, are all the batteries being charged automatically or is there an on/off switch or whatever to include the vehicle battery in the charging process? If there's a switch or button for this, what does it look like and where is it likely to be and, what position should it be switched too for shore power charging or back to the alternator when driving? Thanks
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:04 PM   #2

If you have a standard SMB build then your HOUSE batteries charge automatically when you’re plugged in (not the main van starting battery, though).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:19 PM   #3

I take it we are talking about a SMB built rig?

The question is a little hard to answer with out know more details, but first we will give you some general theory.

When plugged in to shore power the Tripp-Lite Inverter/Charger will act as a charger for the house battery system, as long as it is set in charger mode or Auto.

When driving the alternator will charge the starting battery bank . This could be one maybe two with diesel start batteries. There are some configurations that had a factory aux battery, but we will leave that out for now.

Now you ask the question on how does one charge the house battery when driving via the alternator, and how does one charge the starting battery or batteries when plugged in. It is a reasonable question and I wish I had a simple answer.

This is generally accomplished by a separator, isolator, combiner, ACR type device. They all pretty much function the same except if you have a diode based isolator, it is slightly different then a relay based isolator. These generally work on the premise that if there is a charge voltage present, they will combine the two battery banks so that either charging device can charge all the batteries.

For a 2006 SMB the common device was a Surepower 1315-200.

So you really need to go look and see if you can find one of these hooked up. If you have the original I would expect it might be giving you some issue at this date.

It could have been replaced and normally that is with a Blue Sea ACR 7620 or 7622

Depending on who installed it, they may or may not of used the switch seen in the picture,

So go look and see if you can find one of these units, if it the SurePower it was pretty much all automatic. The BlueSea ACR can have a switch that would provide a off, auto,on switch. If you have the BlueSea ACR with the yellow top button, it would give you a manual settings.

Once we know which device you have, and we can go from there on the details of how that one works.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #4

Thanks, it is an SMB build. I’ll try to find the separator and get back. Appreciate your expertise. My next question is sort of embarrassing. There are what look like two battery boxes underneath the side doors. I assume one is the house battery and the other the van? If so, which is which? Or, if both are house batteries, where’s the van battery? Sorry, had to ask.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:41 PM   #5

You can also reference this thread Battery Isolators, Separators, Switches & More (updated 2020) for aid as it cover a bunch of other devices also.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandcats View Post
There are what look like two battery boxes underneath the side doors. I assume one is the house battery and the other the van? If so, which is which? Or, if both are house batteries, where’s the van battery? Sorry, had to ask.
Since you have a diesel, those are your starting batteries. Your typical SMB house batteries are in a box/rack behind the rear axle.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Since you have a diesel, those are your starting batteries. Your typical SMB house batteries are in a box/rack behind the rear axle.

…Or inside under the gaucho or dinette bench.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:55 PM   #8

My understanding was that connected to shore power once the house and starting batteries equalize the starting batteries do receive a charge?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #9

Looks like two batteries behind back axle in blue case. If I interpret correctly, these are the van batteries.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandcats View Post
Looks like two batteries behind back axle in blue case. If I interpret correctly, these are the van batteries.

Very likely, yes. Unless of course you find batteries under the gaucho or the dinette.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote