Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2023, 12:14 PM   #21

Well...you've got one photo.... yes you have a solenoid. ..and it likely combines the batteries when the key is in accessory position and/or while driving.

If you have a multimeter you can plug in to shore power and measure the voltage of the starting batteries.....and the house batteries; if you can get to them.

The batteries at rest will be at 12.8V or below......when charging they will be above 13V, typically somewhere around 13.4V-14.4V.

Replacing that solenoid with a surepower 1315 or any of the Blue Sea ACR's will charge both batteries when shore power is plugged in without have to turn the ignition on.

The Blue Sea 7610 is the least expensive ACR, and is bi-directional and works great. The 762X units have more features and handle more current.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #22

Many thanks again. I'll look for a blue sea. I assume it will hook up in the same place as my solenoid?
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandcats View Post
Many thanks again. I'll look for a blue sea. I assume it will hook up in the same place as my solenoid?

Yes same place. The 7610 is really simple to connect, connect the battery wires to it and run one small wire to chassis ground. The 762X series have a few more features and connections; Scalf77 has a sticky at the top of this forum for wiring those.

You can wire your solenoid to a simple switch, switch on to combine, off to separate...same as what the ignition key is doing now. The issues with manual switching is forgetting to turn off the switch when using power from house batteries....you can drain the starting batteries and be stranded.

that's discussed in posts 15-17 or so earlier in this thread.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #24

I am not convinced that solenoid is your "Van Bat to House Bat Solenoid" I would try to chase the wires and see where it goes. Do you happen to have on board air compressor. I would suspect that the Surepower 1315-200 would be inside the van. I would see if you can track where the house or for that matter the starting batteries go into the van.

If I am going with a replacement I would not choose the 7610, it is limited to 120 amp alternators, and to get that rating it would ne 1/0 cables.

But again, first let's make sure we are replacing the correct solenoid. There needs to be wire going to the solenoid that activates it, I would check to see if that is 12 Volts when the van is running.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:10 PM   #25

Is it just me or does that fuse / breaker look tripped?
Old 04-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #26

Yes, it does. Usually the Blue Sea 285's have a yellow lever, the black is harder to pick out. Again interesting, but I am still not convinced it is item we are looking for, but obviously the previous owner could have made changes.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Is it just me or does that fuse / breaker look tripped?

It sure does......
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
So the Tripp-Lite (inverter/charger) does not directly charge the starting batteries. That is done when a separator or ACR connects the House & Start battery systems together. Then the shore power charger just see it as one battery bank.

I know it sounds like I am splitting hairs, but from a trouble shooting perspective, it makes a difference.

-greg
That does make sense. And just to follow along with the idea of both banks being charged simultaneously then it stands to reason that it's best to have both banks of the same battery type? House batteries are usually an AGM versus the wet cell variety on most starting batteries.

I barely understand this stuff but my 6.0 psd was eating starting batteries for breakfast. I finally figured out that my Surepower was toast and replaced it with the ACR but also switched to AGM for the two starting batteries as well. No issues so far.

In short (LOL) lots of great info from scalf and others and the main reason I still frequent this forum.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #29

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong. If your question is you want to know if your vehicle batteries are charging while on shore power, it seems to me the EASIEST way to find out is with motor off check battery voltage first then plug in shore power and if you get a significant higher reading then they are wired to a charger.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Anyone can correct me if I am wrong. If your question is you want to know if your vehicle batteries are charging while on shore power, it seems to me the EASIEST way to find out is with motor off check battery voltage first then plug in shore power and if you get a significant higher reading then they are wired to a charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

If you have a multimeter you can plug in to shore power and measure the voltage of the starting batteries.....and the house batteries; if you can get to them.

The batteries at rest will be at 12.8V or below......when charging they will be above 13V, typically somewhere around 13.4V-14.4V.

Agreed......if the OP has a multimeter....
2003 Honda Element