Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #41

Anything Wrong with a Viper Alarm

I looked at all the various less expensive options and just decided to go with a professionally installed Viper. The van is just too valuable to have anything short of the best I could afford. It has glass breakage, door sensors, geofencing, low battery alerts, motion sensor to detect towing, and a temperature sensor since we travel with a dog. It does have the monthly subscription that is about $10 a month but I get alerted no matter where I am. Is there a weakness in the Viper system?

avery1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #42

The thefts, are newer transits able to be stolen without a security key? I realize a trailer and a wench can drag most anything on to it, but can ignition be hacked?
gregchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #43

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs
Reading more and more posts about vans getting stolen prompted me to order a Ravelco today. With the current market we would not be able to replace our SMB.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Ahhhh you just gave me a thought….What about this, Timberline made my transfer case shifter handle 2 piece to be able to unscrew it out of the way for ease of swiveling the drivers seat. So put the transfer case in Neutral and then unscrew the lever, and lock it in the floor locker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
In this case, you would be relying solely on your parking brake to keep the van from rolling away.

Herb
I’m sure TC in neutral with wheel chocks and e brake would do the trick fine but another variation would put the transfer case in low then unscrew/remove the transfer case lever if you prefer, They won’t get far in granny low, I’m sure they’d bail out in 25 feet or less.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:00 PM   #45

How about a viper alarm?
JPIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #46

Garage
Everyone,

Please don't fall for the inexpensive, no name GPS trackers. first, these are 2G or 3G devices (GSM/GPRS). At the end of this year, these networks will be fully dismantled in North America. Not to mention, adding a data-only SIM card gets really expensive ($30-40/month with most carriers w/ national coverage). If you're not getting a LTE device and special mobile (CATM) SIM card/service, you're throwing away your money.

I've been developing/marketing vehicle security and GPS tracking devices since 1999. The most cost effective route on the market today is about $100 for the device including 1 year of service and $40/year. I have 4 of them (2 E-vans and 2 daily drivers). They are locate on demand only but they also give control and alarm alerts to your smartphone.

Beyond that, a true LTE GPS tracker w/ starter kill, tracking history, bread crumbs, geo fencing, speed alerts, etc. runs about $12-20/month depending who you go with. I have 2 of these (TraxPath brand - my brand) running on my vans because I rent one to friends' bands when they tour North America.

If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to hit me up. Alarms, tracking, convenience. I can't stand theft, especially Van theft. I've know several bands to have their vans full of music equipment stolen and it's devastating to small bands who are just starting out.

Also, Viper is overpriced and over hyped. Excalibur is just about the best around. Same or better quality, way better pricing, support, and warranty.

Cheers,
Mike

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #47

Hi MikeWithered,

Thanks for your thoughtful post this morning!

I'm some 2 months into using these folks, https://optimustracker.com/ , in the spirit of buy, try, and decide. So far so good.

Can I trouble you for any thoughts on Optimus I can cook into my "decide?"

Thanks!

Best,

Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #48

Security on my van has been a priority for me as well.
I have a gps tracker and viper alarm.
Never heard of Ravelco before this message and decided to check it out.

It seemed very effective and I was ready to make the purchase.

I emailed Ravelco and here is the conversation I had with them.
----------

Me:

Hello, I am interested in your product for my campervan.
Is self-installation available or is it only through your dealers?

Ravelco: Where are you?

Me: I am in Pensacola Florida.

Ravelco: Please see attached*

*Here is the doc they sent me: https://drive.google.com/file/d/138K...ew?usp=sharing

Me:
Your instructions for payment and your no refunds, no returns policy seems very suspect for a reputable company.
Sounds very fishy to me.

I think I’ll pass.

Ravelco:
No problem - your loss

--------------------

I would caution anyone from purchasing directly from the manufacturer.

Their customer service is terrible and they do not stand behind their product.
It might be a different with one of their dealers.
But if they treat potential customers this way, I would proceed with caution.
ianskelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskelley View Post
I emailed Ravelco and here is the conversation I had with them.
That does not sound right at all. My understanding is that they don't sell for self instillation, so it seems likely you happened on a scam. Fortunately you recognized it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewithered View Post
Everyone,

Please don't fall for the inexpensive, no name GPS trackers. first, these are 2G or 3G devices (GSM/GPRS). At the end of this year, these networks will be fully dismantled in North America. Mike
Excellent information. I had a tracker a few years ago that became obsolete due to a similar problem, but I didn't realize it was happening again. I did mention in my first post that some inexpensive units require GSM sim's, so thanks for the reminder that that system is going away. Clearly, careful research is needed prior to making any purchases.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote