Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
You’re not gonna be wrapping any chains around a tire stuck in the mud

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Who wants to contact them for a group buy price, since these will no doubt catch some "traction" on our forum......Ray?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
GTFO......!!
Those things are sweet. I wish I had come up with the idea, I’d be marketing the shit out of ‘em. Like you said Eric, how have I missed these, I’ve never seen them either, figured they would have found their way to overland journal and made their way around the forums.
I think Cletus came up with the idea, probably fueled by Natty Light and a need to get a deer back home before it spoiled. I'll ask at the next family reunion.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
Great idea, the aluminum extrusion shape is the key, otherwise it's something many of us here could make from commercially available components. Even though pricey, I'm in. Good old American ingenuity. Ease of installation is a real selling point.

Twoxentrix, how wide are the straps? My wheels have circular 2 1/8 inch diameter cutouts around the circumference, want to make sure there's enough clearance for the straps to go through. Also, is there a locking mechanism for the extenders? Seems otherwise they might work their way out as the wheels rotate.
The blocks are 8" long x 4" wide, and when attached to the wheel they protrude out 2" so you have to be mindful of any clearance issues. Straps are 1.5" wide (strap and ratchet are stout).
They do have a decal on them that states which direction to mount them, namely because one side has two screws on the outer end of the two channels the extenders slide into - to keep them from migrating in towards the chassis.
NOTE: Be careful if you order them - when unpacking i almost threw away the two small red plastic wheel protectors...thought they were just part of the packaging.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Who wants to contact them for a group buy price, since these will no doubt catch some "traction" on our forum......Ray?
I second the motion. The Truck Claw website has a phone number to call for quantity purchases. Hell, I'll probably buy 2 sets!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
Uh I have a good idea Just DON'T put yourself in that situation DUH
Some people like to get stuck then spend the day with a 12 pack playin in the mud,GO FIGURE
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #27

Ya if there’s a group buy let me know: $$$$
Old 03-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #28

Like somebody mentioned before you could buy some heavy gauge scraps from any metal/aluminum supplier & machine some slots for ratchet strap to go through already cut to length if extender was in it.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
You’re not gonna be wrapping any chains around a tire stuck in the mud

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
Right. Chains you would install in advance of encountering dicey conditions to prevent getting in trouble. These claws look to be useful in 'Getting UNStuck', as Bill Burke would put it, once you get bogged down, and then removed when you get to solid ground.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage
A low-tech alternative we learned from a Navajo coworker back in the day and have used successfully on caliche though not in deep mud: sagebrush or chamisa branches carpeting the path. If there's a long track of slickness, someone gets to stand in the mud and move branches forward until you are on firmer ground. Hopefully without falling 'cuz wet caliche is slicker than snot.

-d-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote