Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I guess the question I should have asked is:

If I'm not going to be off-roading, don't have 4x4 or large tires, is the stock Ford jack going to be adequate?

I've only had my E350 a short time so I've never had to use its jack (I suppose I should try it).

The first part of this thread has a stable jack, but it's limitation is it's minimum height. On a hard shoulder, it may be too tall to fit under the axle.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...jack-6297.html

And then here, is where most people's interest in the HMMWV jack started.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nds-15417.html

Herb

Old 03-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #52

Other than the H1, what other models of the Hummer jack would be OK? H3?, M-998, etc.?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #53

Garage
Searching Amazon there are a number of 3 ton scissor jacks available. I don’t know how substantial these products are, however. The Hummer jack I purchased on EBay has a good base and is very stable.
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #54
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Other than the H1, what other models of the Hummer jack would be OK? H3?, M-998, etc.?
Those designated as "M-998" are pretty much the one's most of us who've already bought chose. They might have different names but looking at photos especially if on eBay you'll find them.

IIRC the H3's are basically Suburban's with a new body---not sure I'd want a jack designed for that duty. I have one and its just NOT something I'll ever use to change a tire.

Here's an example of what most of us are using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMER-HMMW...53.m1438.l2649

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Those designated as "M-998" are pretty much the one's most of us who've already bought chose. They might have different names but looking at photos especially if on eBay you'll find them.

IIRC the H3's are basically Suburban's with a new body---not sure I'd want a jack designed for that duty. I have one and its just NOT something I'll ever use to change a tire.

Here's an example of what most of us are using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUMMER-HMMW...53.m1438.l2649

HTH
I just took a look at my stock bottle jack, which I've never used, and it is, indeed, very wimpy. I just ordered one of these, which seemed to be the best deal, price-wise. In my case, I'm never going to be heavily loaded so I'm not overly concerned about capacity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M998-HMMWV-...QAAOSwIVpdc6Vx

I could have purchased a new, old stock for less, but without the tool set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-JACK-...UAAOSw09peJZuC
Old 03-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #56
JWA

Quote:
I just took a look at my stock bottle jack, which I've never used, and it is, indeed, very wimpy. I just ordered one of these, which seemed to be the best deal, price-wise. In my case, I'm never going to be heavily loaded so I'm not overly concerned about capacity.

I could have purchased a new, old stock for less, but without the tool set:
You definitely want the tools---they store in the same bag, no reason not to get them too.

Seriously consider the Agile adapter---it too is useful and adds a bit more safety.

Also keep in mind while lifting capacity is a concern even if you never approach the upper limit the increased stability is the main goal. Its easy enough to find cheap(er) jacks but they tend to lack the better safety---IMHO anyway.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #57

Quote:
You definitely want the tools---they store in the same bag, no reason not to get them too.

Seriously consider the Agile adapter---it too is useful and adds a bit more safety.

Also keep in mind while lifting capacity is a concern even if you never approach the upper limit the increased stability is the main goal. Its easy enough to find cheap(er) jacks but they tend to lack the better safety---IMHO anyway.
I'm definitely biting the bullet and going for the Agile adapter. After all, "it's a safety item", a justification I used many times when buying things for my sailboat in years past, such as inflatable life vests, hand-held marine VHF radios, etc. The sailboat was sold a few years back so I have some catching up to do.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:18 AM   #58
JWA

You're in good company here BCam---we're all about erring on the side of "better" or more safety here. Having emergency items on-board if nothing else is peace of mind we're prepared for a lot of situations the "average" driver never encounters and of course never even imagine could possibly befall them.

I HATE being stranded and/or having to wait for help to arrive.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #59

I decided to look at the expense as an addition to the purchase price of my E350. It's hard for me to understand how Ford could have equipped it with such a tiny toy bottle jack.

Thanks everyone for making me aware of this. If it hadn't been for this forum, I would have been totally unaware of the issue.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #60

Quote:
It was the H2 that was based on the full-size Chevy Tahoe (not the longer Suburban) and the H3 was based on the smaller Colorado/Canyon.