Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #171

That is worst part, I used thermal wrap on the wired and stainless tie wraps. There is no area that is good from what I could tell. So it is a compromise, but a manageable one. I will see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. I couldn't find anybody that documented the cabling in that area.

I suspect you will be very happy with the second alternator. Did you go with a Wakespeed controller?

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:31 PM   #172

Very nice work. Great design.
coloradoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
That is worst part, I used thermal wrap on the wired and stainless tie wraps. There is no area that is good from what I could tell. So it is a compromise, but a manageable one. I will see if I can take some pictures tomorrow. I couldn't find anybody that documented the cabling in that area.

I suspect you will be very happy with the second alternator. Did you go with a Wakespeed controller?
I had a similar thought, use high heat thermal wrap as you route through the engine compartment. It just looks very difficult to install and secure. If you can get a pic that would be great, but if not no worries.
Yes, I did go with the wakespeed. I bought the Victron bundle from van life outfitters and included the Nations alt and controller. I have 600 AH of batteries. It looks like a great system...can't wait to get done.
Ed
Edgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #174

Ed, here ya go. I was a good time to check everything over anyway. I have over 7000 miles with it installed now.

I used a combination of Tesa's Most Advanced High Heat Harness Tape and a couple of thermal sleeves.

The alternator setup is probably the best thing I have put on the van. I don't run it all the time, but it is ready when I need it. I suspect I will have to install a high idle modification, just so I will have it if needed.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Ed, here ya go. I was a good time to check everything over anyway. I have over 7000 miles with it installed now.

I used a combination of Tesa's Most Advanced High Heat Harness Tape and a couple of thermal sleeves.

The alternator setup is probably the best thing I have put on the van. I don't run it all the time, but it is ready when I need it. I suspect I will have to install a high idle modification, just so I will have it if needed.
Thanks so much! I appreciate your help. Not looking forward to it, but it's got to get done.
Ed
Old 09-26-2023, 07:40 PM   #176

Hey Greg, sorry to keep bugging you. It appears you have the dual alternators from ford (as I do) and I wanted to find out what happens, when you remove the original alternator, to ford's system? Will it show a fault? And what did you do with the original cable connected to the alternator and any control wiring?
I talked to my local dealer and he had no idea what would happen if I replaced the second alternator. I was surprised by his response, so I thought I would see what you did.
Thanks - Ed
Old 09-27-2023, 05:07 AM   #177

Sorry, I have a aftermarket alternator kit and a single factory alternator. I have seen the kit that says you can use the factory. I would expect that at a minimal you would need to go into Forscan and make changes. The power cable I believe goes back to the bus under the seat, that would need to be removed. The control cables would need to capped off

I would go to van life outfitters or nations and see what they say. I can't imagine that they are selling the kit with out having instructions for doing this.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #178

Thanks Greg,
I reached out to Nations and they have some info they are sending me that should answer my questions and concerns.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:40 AM   #179

@Edgrn, Any update on changes that you need to make to get that going. Just interested.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:42 PM   #180

Yes, I found a shop in the Sacramento area that was willing to swap out the alternator and complete the wiring to the alternator. That's completed and next I needed to re-flash the computer, but the ford dealer would not do it. So I found a local company that does this kink of stuff and they got it done for me. After testing the system, I found I have a communication issue with my Victron system so right now the wakespeed is not charging correctly. I'm working with my Victron dealer trying to figure it out. They looked at my wiring and cables to all the components and everything looks correct. So right now they're puzzled. I'll let you know when I get it worked out.
Ed -