Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Homemade Transformer Idea - what do you think?

Well, here's the latest and greatest design layout. I've abandoned the 5-person seating idea, so this will be strictly for two (me and my wife). And yes: I've shown her my sketches, and explained my ideas. And she's excited about the whole thing!

I do have a lot of detailed drawings completed in CADD, but I'm not going to post it all here. I actually started CADD design on the L-Shaped Sofa/Dinette/Bed first, to get that figured out so it would be comfortable AND large enough, and yet simple to convert from a sofa/dinette into a bed for two. There is no plywood support surfaces, which will save some weight. Slats are used to support the cushions (24" span), and a wood frame supports the slat structures. On the short L part, the slats for the seat are "compressed" inside the outline, and when it's time to make the bed, a support rail is attached to the cabinet across from the seat, and the slats slide out and rest on the rail. Two 21" square tables can be used at the dinette, and I'm planning on being able to use one of them (on a well-designed support system) over at the swiveling passenger seat, too.

I figure the electrical will be installed under the seating against the wall on the driver's side. From what I know, the gas tank is on that side, too (if not, please someone correct me!). I'm planning to use a portable top-load refrigerator, so that can sit anywhere and be plugged in, and then on the driver's seat while camping (at least that's the plan).

I figured the fresh water tank would be installed under the sink on the passenger side. The gray water tank will be either an odd-shape to go "around" the wheel well under the cabinet, or a low-profile tank to hang under the van (either way, it's from the same company).

From designing in section view, and using my CAD-based anthropometric reference, I'm wondering if I'm going to have enough head room in this van without some sort of expanded top. The roof height is about 54" and an average person sitting on a 16" high seat is almost that tall! Seated eye level is 48" ... Hmmm... This poses a problem for the upper cabinets I wanted to have (for increased storage area). Maybe I'll have to get rid of the upper cabinets over the sofa.

Remember, this is a work-in-progress so far. I'm still researching, designing, thinking, etc....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #32

Where are you going to cook?

I think two small tables might be overkill. We use one that is probably 1.5x the size of one of the ones in your sketch only when necessary (usually cards) but with just you and the wife I'm not sure more than that is necessary... it would be a good item to leave until very last and then fit to a storage location (for top) or fit as necessary as you actually sit in the gaucho and consider what your table need will be... although we do have more counter tops than you.

Also don't ignore the side doors, you can do some kind of flip up shelf/prep table that might serve the smaller seat on the passenger side.

Are we still looking at a transformer? Looks good anyway.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Where are you going to cook?

I think two small tables might be overkill. We use one that is probably 1.5x the size of one of the ones in your sketch only when necessary (usually cards) but with just you and the wife I'm not sure more than that is necessary... it would be a good item to leave until very last and then fit to a storage location (for top) or fit as necessary as you actually sit in the gaucho and consider what your table need will be... although we do have more counter tops than you.

Also don't ignore the side doors, you can do some kind of flip up shelf/prep table that might serve the smaller seat on the passenger side.

Are we still looking at a transformer? Looks good anyway.
No, it's not a Transformer. It'll be all built-in for good.

Cooking will be by portable camp grill/stove. I want to do the cooking outside as much as possible. If it's raining, I guess I could use the counter right inside the side doors. Or we'll just have sandwiches. LOL.

Understood about the two small tables. I was thinking of having two, both at the dinette for a larger surface area, or one for at the dinette and one for over at the passenger seat. I could also make a built-in flip-up table on the end of the sofa closest to the side doors. Or a built-in that hangs on the door. Hmm.....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #34

Just a quick update:

I have the fresh/gray water system designed, and a great source for the tanks. I have plenty of room for a water heater, but I'm not 100% sold on truly needing one yet.

The sofa/dinette/bed "system" is designed as well. I think it'll work perfectly.

I'm still thinking about the propane system. I know I want it. I just don't know if I'm going with a built-in armored horizontal tank under the van, or if I'm going more simple with a standard portable grill type tank....

The heating system is still being thought about, too. I just don't know what's the best route to take at this point. Do I try to find a SMALL hydronic system? Or should I stick with a standard furnace?

I'm also still contemplating the electrical system. I might bail on the full 30-amp service capability, and just go with the single 110v connection idea instead (thanks for that!). That way I could run a space heater if camping, or a small A/C or fan unit for cooling off. Hmmm....

I also found another local source for used (and affordable) cargo vans. He actually has an "abandoned conversion project" van on the lot. It's a 2002 Ford EB model, with custom front bumper (similar to Aluminess), "extended" fixed top, and upgraded electrical system. But the cargo area is unfinished, waiting for a plan. I'm not ready to buy, and I probably wouldn't get this particular one, but for $6000 it gets the mind going as to what else I might be able to find locally for my project....

I do think I might try to find a used van with some sort of fixed top, because from doing the CADD, I'm afraid that my head will almost be ON the ceiling while I'm sitting down. Not good.

The next important step in my research and design is to actually get INSIDE a van and take some critical width and height measurements, so I can get a better idea of how thick I can make the floor, ceiling, and walls (for insulation) and still have room for living comfortably.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #35

http://wiki.sportsmobileforum.com/index ... Dimensions
Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #36

If you are going with the portable refrig (or anything else) make sure it is secured in place when you are moving. In the event of an accident, you don't want that thing hitting you in the head.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
http://wiki.sportsmobileforum.com/index.php?title=Inside_Dimensions
Thanks, jage. But something seems to be "off" from what I've seen. The top diagram is for a Ford-based SMB, right? The ceiling height is only 44 inches? The layout book states 54 inches. Does SMB take out 10 inches somewhere? If it's really only 44" then I'm royally screwed. I'm 6'-0" tall, so sitting down will put my head in the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
If you are going with the portable refrig (or anything else) make sure it is secured in place when you are moving. In the event of an accident, you don't want that thing hitting you in the head.
Good advice. Thanks. Yes I am planning on a portable top-open 12v fridge.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #38

I think the diagram simply lists the length of the van at 44" up. Since the end tapers in, that dimension varies with height. The roof height is still where it was.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #39

Actually, what that wiki diagram shows is the interior length dimension at a height of 44"; it doesn't actually show the interior height. EDIT: Mike beat me to it.

To get complete dimension information, use the search...

On this thread (um, that's your own post) is a link to Ford's Body Builder Layout Books for various years. For example, my 2008 E350 has an interior height of 53.1". These are obviously for a stock van without the penthouse top installed.

Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #40

Brent, yes I remember my own post. LOL. I've been designing in CADD based on the dimensions from the Body Builders Book, about 53" high. That 44" freaked me out.

I'll be losing a little height due to insulating the floor under the plywood, so I need all the ceiling height I can get. Maybe I should look for a van w/ a fixed top. Although that'll detract from the "stealth cargo van" look.