Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Yes sir, I'm gonna be his Guinea pig so hopefully all goes as planned. With MG in the drivers seat I don't see how it could be anything short of amazing.

I also had the chance to ride in his van before the tear down and feel his suspension and I was impressed. It reminded me of my 2012 F250 which is exactly what I wanted.

I definitely don't have the skills to make something up on my own ( I wish I did ).

I would prefer the term "lead customer" haha!

Since Jsweezy is the first customer install and just a handful of miles from my shop, I get to see how easy/difficult things are for others doing DIY installs. If we run into any problems, I'll be sure to come up with a work around for the next person. I'll be snapping pictures for instructions too.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #192

That's great! Looking forward to the transplant!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #193

Since your front lugs are now 8x170mm, are you going to get rear spacers that convert 8 x 6.5" to 8 x170mm?
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #194

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Since your front lugs are now 8x170mm, are you going to get rear spacers that convert 8 x 6.5" to 8 x170mm?
Yep, thanks for reminding me if I hadn't thought of that already but I got them. I ordered them from wheeladapter.com and got them 1.75" so they will match the axle width exactly. John at Quadvan recommended them and told me it would look better to get the spacers a little wider if I am running fender flares but I'm not and even if I do I want the wheel in the flare. Seems kinda pointless to me to have a wider track width than necessary.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
... I ordered them from wheeladapter.com and got them 1.75" so they will match the axle width exactly....
I'm not sure what you are planning on for wheels, but the hub centers need to be paid attention to, particularly if your new adapters have a built in hub centering hole and centering ring (like mine do).

I ran into a fitment issue with mine, while switching wheels back and forth. My van has 2001 Dana 60 front, oem 1995 Ford rear with adapters, so both are now 8 on 170mm.

My aftermarket wheels have a larger hub hole, the rear adapters have a centering ring that fit the aftermarket wheels. The rear wheel centers on the adapter's centering ring just fine. I ran into problems when I put together a second 'highway tire wheel combo', using 1999-2004 Ford F250/F350 alloy wheels. The Ford wheel's hub centering hole fits the front Dana 60 hubs just fine, as you'd expect, but the wheel's hole is too small for my wheel adapters.

My solution was to press out the studs and cut the integral centering ring off of the wheel adapter.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #196

Garage
I'm not sure if they work yet or not but I'm going with stock 17" wheels. When I ordered the adapters just like John from quadvan told me to do, I ordered hub centric from old ford 8 on 6.5 to new ford 8 on 170. I also spoke with the individual when I ordered to make sure they were hub centric so hopefully all is well. I will let you know as I plan to double check now that all this talk of spacers has come up.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #197

I had no trouble with the Ford OEM wheels fitting over the centering ring on the hub adapters (from the same place). So, if there was a problem with fitment before, they've worked it out. Keep in mine most of QuadVan's conversion use OEM wheels and keeps the hub adapter intact (pretty much necessary on the metric OEM wheels).
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #198

Garage
Alright! So since you all had me so worried about my spacers/adapters I went out and checked them today and they fit perfectly. I guess CarringB got it right, they must have fixed something along the way if it wasn't correct before. I would also like to add that these things are legit, they weigh almost 10lbs each and look beautiful. John (Quadvan) also told me that they were fast and he was right, I ordered them wednesday and they arrived today. Of course I snapped a photo for you guys...

Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #199

Have you stuck them over your studs? The stock lugs may need to be shortened...maybe not......mine are 2" and the stock lugs were fine.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #200

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Have you stuck them over your studs? The stock lugs may need to be shortened...maybe not......mine are 2" and the stock lugs were fine.
I didn't do that yet but when I talked to the guy at the shop over the phone he said that I would just need to grind down the tips some. I am ok with that, but didn't want to have to cut any of the threads off.

I do plan on swapping the rear out for a sterling (no RSC on my van) so I wanted to make sure that someone else could still use it as a stock length rear axle when I go to sell it.