Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #201

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
But you are using a Dodge PCM to run the engine right? And the TripleCAN is not bidirectional right? It is merely accepting and converting input from your Dodge Powertrain Control Module right?

For now, the CAN Triple is just intended to translate some specific messages from the Cummins so I can send them out on the Ford HS bus. I'll also use it to send messages to the Cummins ECM, like when the exhaust brake button is pushed. Trying to keep it simple and not overwhelm the device. I'll likely end up making a custom microcontroller to do the same job and use a lot better hardware and put it in a sealed automotive style case. Having worked with it now, the CAN Triple is not a long term solution, more like a hacking tool and a device to test out ideas. It will work for a while but I'm not confident that it can last in a harsh environment.

For a hacking tool and idea tester though, it is pretty awesome.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #202

More shiny machined parts done today!!!

These are "tone wheels" for the Allison's Output Speed Sensor. Turns out, the cost of a one-off was only a few bucks less than making 5 so I now have extras (just like all of the other parts I've machined).

The Allison's tail-housing will be machined to accept the sensor and then we're ready to reassemble the trans.

The observant follower of this build may recall my earlier plans to put this sensor in the t-case housing however, because of the shape of the output shaft, it simply wasn't as cost effective as this solution. Don't judge me for changing my mind...I was young and naive back then.

In other exciting news, I picked up a junk van to rob it of some body parts. I'll have pictures soon of the full firewall, floor, doghouse and front end sitting atop my frame. This will make it easier to get all of the fabrication done prior to pulling my van apart.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks

The observant follower of this build may recall my earlier plans to put this sensor in the t-case housing however, because of the shape of the output shaft, it simply wasn't as cost effective as this solution. Don't judge me for changing my mind...I was young and naive back then.

That was sooo last year.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #204

Spent a good part of the day cutting up an E-series body to use for this and future engine swap mock ups. It actually went faster than I was expecting given the drenching downpour. Miserable working conditions but how can a guy be in a bad mood when you're getting a major piece of the Cummins puzzle back to the shop!?

Here's my ol' man cutting out the A-pillars...

We have separation!!!

Let's load this up and get it home! (by way of a pressure washer...it was filthy inside from an interior fire)

And now cleaned up and ready for work...

I'm going to tidy up some of the jagged cuts before I really start going crazy. It's here though! It's finally here!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #205

Cool...nothin' like the real thing for mocking up/fit checking.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #206

Well that picture shoots down one of my pipe dreams. So would it be correct to say that the cab forward to the headlight holders is, in effect, structurally a unibody? Such that my dream of putting the 6 inch longer fenders and hood taken off of the most recent iteration of the Ford E350 won't give me any more engine room unless I cut off and weld on the under structure onto which the fenders are bolted?

BTW, is that a current, longer version of the engine compartment or the older shorter (i.e., at least up to 2003) engine compartment?

Oh yeah, how much did you pay for that structure?

And what tool is your Dad using?

Thanks for all you are doing and sharing.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Well that picture shoots down one of my pipe dreams. So would it be correct to say that the cab forward to the headlight holders is, in effect, structurally a unibody? Such that my dream of putting the 6 inch longer fenders and hood taken off of the most recent iteration of the Ford E350 won't give me any more engine room unless I cut off and weld on the under structure onto which the fenders are bolted?

BTW, is that a current, longer version of the engine compartment or the older shorter (i.e., at least up to 2003) engine compartment?

Oh yeah, how much did you pay for that structure?

And what tool is your Dad using?

Thanks for all you are doing and sharing.
The inner structure in the older vs newer vans is very similar. The new front ends will bolt onto an older body. If you put the new body style fenders on, there is a huge space between the grill and the core support. You can get more room if you want to do something custom. You don't automatically get tons of room just by putting on the newer front end though. This body is a 2005. Not identical to what I have but close enough that I can build off of it, especially having them both side by side.

I paid $250 for this and the roof.

My dad was using a tool called "dual saw". Two blades rotating opposite of each other. I thought it was a joke when he pulled it out but that little saw made some quick work of what we were doing. Buzzed right through the glass.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #208

This has been a pretty good morning so far. Got the mock-up body into the shop and straddled over the engine. So here you have it folks, at long last, decent pictures of a 6.7L Cummins in a Ford E-series van.

There's a whole lot of good news going on here. Lots of room around the turbo (which was one of my main concerns) and things seem to be fairly accessible. Once I start packing all of the other parts in it will look stuffed but what I have here is way more room than I was really expecting.

The bad news is that, even though I can move forward and towards the passenger side just a little bit to get more clearance, the transmission is just so massive that I'm going to have to do some reshaping at the bottom of the doghouse. Maybe I'll get lucky and find just the right combination but from what it looks like right now, there will be some minor interference. No worries... I've been here before many times in my street rodding days.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the fit. I've been waiting for this day for a long time since moving forward on some things was dependent on how this engine fit in the body. I can finalize a lot of part designs now and get moving on the electrical and plumbing in their final configuration.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #209

This thread is just awesome in so many ways
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
The bad news is that, even though I can move forward and towards the passenger side just a little bit to get more clearance, the transmission is just so massive that I'm going to have to do some reshaping at the bottom of the doghouse. Maybe I'll get lucky and find just the right combination but from what it looks like right now, there will be some minor interference. No worries... I've been here before many times in my street rodding days.
How about using some wheel chair van 2" pucks to raise the floor (and, thus, the doghouse)? It would give you more vertical clearance for your frame rail batteries too.

Doesn't the Cummins have a mechanical fuel pump? If so, why go with an electric fan? Does the electric fan eliminate the water pump or only the fan and fan clutch?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote