Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #31

For a 7.3 van which has no factory tach on the dash -
A Scangauge provides RPM, EOT, TFT and much more but not ECT nor EGT nor a true boost pressure. Perhaps a different OBD2 reading system could work to display those parameters, too.

An EGT gauge and boost gauge round out a nice information display. Additional gauge niceties would be ECT, Fuel Pressure and Rear Diff temp but there is only so much real estate.

A DP tuner (even a 40) will send boost to 20 psi and EGT's north of 1400 in no time, surprisingly so. Even a mild hill climb would impact these without the feeling one needed to downshift. The DP provided great throttle response and a definite feeling of
more power for acceleration and passing but it is with, for me and others, an unacceptable torque converter (?) surge feeling in the 50 mph range that Jody has not addressed as far as I know after repeated asks from many of us. I am surprised to hear he has a 20 out, maybe that has helped. With the DP, my cruise light stop displaying even though the cruise worked.

The GP Hydra provides a different experience w the 40, 60 tunes. It provides the off the line response to cover the doggy feeling. It has a smoother power feeling but does not deliver the power surge of the DP. The Hydra has never rolled coal like the DP would easily do and as a result the EGT's at the high end of load are far more easily managed. Highest boost I have seen on the Hydra is around 15 vs north of 20 for the DP, and my cruise light works w the Hydra.

Some have modified their exhausts, ww are still stock. If the drone problem can be addressed during going to a larger system, I would consider that. I have thought about CNC Fab adds like the fuel crossovers but have not felt there was definitive results in reading reviews. I have a list of 7.3 mods recommended by member VooDoo7.3 but have not gone down that path.

Reality is, for me, the reliability, efficiency, longevity have become more important. In stock config w the Hydra, with everything working, with regular oil changes using Hot Shots additive, the 7.3 has proven sufficient. Yes, I usually downshift out of OD going up a grade like the Grapevine on I-5. With sound deadening upfront and on the floors, walls - it is very comfortable to talk while cruising. . Outside is another story. Rolling into a packed campground late at night I try to get situated and turn off the engine sooner.

The overall feel of the van is definitely heavier than the V10 because there is 300 plus extra pounds over the front axle.

7.3 or V10 is not really an easy choice and we have had and currently have both. They are both exceptional power plants.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #32
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yup^^^^^what he said
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
For a 7.3 van which has no factory tach on the dash -
A Scangauge provides RPM, EOT, TFT and much more but not ECT nor EGT nor a true boost pressure. Perhaps a different OBD2 reading system could work to display those parameters, too.

An EGT gauge and boost gauge round out a nice information display. Additional gauge niceties would be ECT, Fuel Pressure and Rear Diff temp but there is only so much real estate.

A DP tuner (even a 40) will send boost to 20 psi and EGT's north of 1400 in no time, surprisingly so. Even a mild hill climb would impact these without the feeling one needed to downshift. The DP provided great throttle response and a definite feeling of
more power for acceleration and passing but it is with, for me and others, an unacceptable torque converter (?) surge feeling in the 50 mph range that Jody has not addressed as far as I know after repeated asks from many of us. I am surprised to hear he has a 20 out, maybe that has helped. With the DP, my cruise light stop displaying even though the cruise worked.

The GP Hydra provides a different experience w the 40, 60 tunes. It provides the off the line response to cover the doggy feeling. It has a smoother power feeling but does not deliver the power surge of the DP. The Hydra has never rolled coal like the DP would easily do and as a result the EGT's at the high end of load are far more easily managed. Highest boost I have seen on the Hydra is around 15 vs north of 20 for the DP, and my cruise light works w the Hydra.

Some have modified their exhausts, ww are still stock. If the drone problem can be addressed during going to a larger system, I would consider that. I have thought about CNC Fab adds like the fuel crossovers but have not felt there was definitive results in reading reviews. I have a list of 7.3 mods recommended by member VooDoo7.3 but have not gone down that path.

Reality is, for me, the reliability, efficiency, longevity have become more important. In stock config w the Hydra, with everything working, with regular oil changes using Hot Shots additive, the 7.3 has proven sufficient. Yes, I usually downshift out of OD going up a grade like the Grapevine on I-5. With sound deadening upfront and on the floors, walls - it is very comfortable to talk while cruising. . Outside is another story. Rolling into a packed campground late at night I try to get situated and turn off the engine sooner.

The overall feel of the van is definitely heavier than the V10 because there is 300 plus extra pounds over the front axle.

7.3 or V10 is not really an easy choice and we have had and currently have both. They are both exceptional power plants.

OK 1der. You have the Hydra chip (not another chip) with mild tunes and essentially no hardware mods on engine and exhaust for more power. Do you find the EGT gauge helpful for normal conservative driving and moderate towing? And also assuming that you would never floor the accelerator pedal?
Old 01-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #34

As far as packaging things into the pre-08 nose goes, while also allowing for some extra boost without melting things, why not add a PS 6.7 air to water intercooler? Seems like that would check off a few things at once.

You folks that are willing to take the slow lane are apparently far more patient than I am.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #35

I do find the EGT gauge useful for not only watching the high end but also cruise. EGT around 650F to 700F is also excellent for fuel efficiency.
The EGT pyro probe install is pretty easy.

If you do not want to go w an EGT gauge then downshift early to keep the revs up and keep the pedal off the floor when heading up a hill.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I do find the EGT gauge useful for not only watching the high end but also cruise. EGT around 650F to 700F is also excellent for fuel efficiency.
The EGT pyro probe install is pretty easy.

If you do not want to go w an EGT gauge then downshift early to keep the revs up and keep the pedal off the floor when heading up a hill.

Good points! And looking at the dyne chart, it's pointless to go past 2600RPM max looking for more speed in a tow or climb, since available torque is rapidly declining past this point.

Also agreed that it's relatively easy DIY and inexpensive to install the EGT probe.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #37

7.3 van owner, UJoint 4x4, 35's, 4.10 in the rear, 4 inch exhaust, I/C

it's an extended body, usually about 9,500ish pounds when we're loaded out for a trip. I also use it as a crawler hauler for my Samurai which is about 6,500 pounds trailer and rig.

In stock form its ok, it takes a bit to get up to speed but chugs along well once it does, perfectly happy with the flats but you can loose momentum when you start pulling a grade. It was tolerable when we were loaded out just to go camping, I wanted more out of it but I didn't necessarily need more but I found it pretty weak with the trailer in tow. tuned it up with a PHP hydra and it gave me everything I wanted, very happy with the performance now.

That being said, to me it seems like Ford detuned these vans pretty spot on with their safe maximum output, with my driving style I was pushing my EGT's to the max in stock form, I added an intercooler before bothering with a tuner, but with an EGT probe and a lighter foot you could probably be very happy with the performance on your 7.3 tuned.
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW3340 View Post
7.3 van owner, UJoint 4x4, 35's, 4.10 in the rear, 4 inch exhaust, I/C

it's an extended body, usually about 9,500ish pounds when we're loaded out for a trip. I also use it as a crawler hauler for my Samurai which is about 6,500 pounds trailer and rig.

In stock form its ok, it takes a bit to get up to speed but chugs along well once it does, perfectly happy with the flats but you can loose momentum when you start pulling a grade. It was tolerable when we were loaded out just to go camping, I wanted more out of it but I didn't necessarily need more but I found it pretty weak with the trailer in tow. tuned it up with a PHP hydra and it gave me everything I wanted, very happy with the performance now.

That being said, to me it seems like Ford detuned these vans pretty spot on with their safe maximum output, with my driving style I was pushing my EGT's to the max in stock form, I added an intercooler before bothering with a tuner, but with an EGT probe and a lighter foot you could probably be very happy with the performance on your 7.3 tuned.
I know this is off topic but do you have pics of the I/c install
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #39

I made a thread about it in this forum after I finished it up.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ted-29647.html
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #40

BroncoHauler: 1st I am old school and yes also old.
I do have one of the last 7.3 as my SMB is a late model 2003 E350 EB.
My rig is totally stock from Ford and SMB West
I only have the 4 stock gauges in the dash: Fuel, oil pressure, electrical and water temp.
"NO ADJUSTMENTS, CHIPS, EXHAUSTS ETC"
I agree with Marcel: "it is what it is" ( a very reliable engine).
I did my 300,000 service: new belt, air, oil filter, fuel filter. I did replace the trans pan with an increased capacity and drain plug version.
I was told years ago that the key to diesel (7.3) life is regular oil changes which I have done religiously the past 300,000 miles.
I rarely drive over 70 mph. At 65 mph I get 15/16 mpg and at 55 mph I get 20/21 mpg. It will climb any mountain road but at it's own pace. I will mention that in reverse it will struggle with obstacles ie: rocks and logs etc.
I love my 2003 Ford E350 SMB 4X4 powered by one of the last 7.3 installs.
"IF IT AN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT"
HighCountryMike 2003 Ford E350 EB SMB 4X4 7.3
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote