Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2023, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
That is ugly, probably the worst display of wiring I have ever seen. Lucky you. Did you see if Danhard or Sportsmobile have schematic for that piece of sh#t. I can see why the shop just wants to move on.
I have the schematics for the starcool 3 in the sportsmobile binder, that's what it shows on the build sheet too. It shows that there is a switch behind the drivers seat and a condenser fan under the hood, neither of which are there.

Wichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:17 AM   #12

At this point, it might be easiest to follow the compressor wires from the compressor to the relays to determine which one energizes the compressor. Then check the output of the relay to see if there is voltage when the compressor should be running. If not, follow the relay coil wire to determine what energizes it. If the relay is energized but there is no voltage out, follow the wire that supplies voltage to the relay contacts

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
At this point, it might be easiest to follow the compressor wires from the compressor to the relays to determine which one energizes the compressor. Then check the output of the relay to see if there is voltage when the compressor should be running. If not, follow the relay coil wire to determine what energizes it. If the relay is energized but there is no voltage out, follow the wire that supplies voltage to the relay contacts

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html
Well, this makes me feel dumb.

So power is coming in on the bottom right and going out to the compressor on the bottom left. The relay that completes the circuit between the 2 black wires is not completing the circuit. So 12 volts aren’t going to the compressor. I tested the relay with a 9v battery as well as the 2 relays that the red wire goes to and they all work.

When I’m testing voltage where should I be putting the leads of the multimeter? When I put one on the 40amp breaker I get 13.7 volts at the red, white, and incoming wire on the a/c relay and 0 on the outgoing black.

I don’t know if I know what I’m doing.
Attached Thumbnails
07F9EB5D-34AB-465A-B34C-9BD250F32B14.jpg  
Old 08-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #14

I feel your pain - but you lost me at "Star Cool Troubles" --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:35 PM   #15

On my previous SMB, we replaced the back compressor with one that would work with a softstart so it would run off a Honda 2200 inverter/generator. But only because my son runs a commercial refrigeration business and had access to the right suppliers and tools to pull it off. I respectfully doubt you will find any normal shop that has the knowledge, or patience, to fix it. Snoop around here on the forum, because there are some on here that can help or steer you in the right direction.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:20 PM   #16

I have a wire labeled clutch. It starts at one of the relays on my panel and I traced it back it just terminates in a bundle of wires. It was cut clean and has exposed wire. Any thoughts on what this may be for?

Also, when I complete the circuit that the compressor Wires are hooked to the condenser fan turns on. Otherwise it won’t turn on. For some reason the circuit isn’t able to complete on its own?

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone is somewhat local and willing to look at this with me I would be ecstatic. I can meet anywhere within a couple hours of Salem. Thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2023, 04:59 AM   #17

I can only assume that this is a previous version of Starcool. The Starcool manual states that it has been in production since 09/96, so that is odd. I am not sure what the differences are, but would assume that it would operate pretty similar.

The auxiliary condenser fan is triggered via the same 12 volt relay that turns on the compressor on the Starcool III. Relay 4 turns on relay 1.

If you have traced to the 120 volt relay, and you believe that relay to be good, I would suspect the capacitor. I know their are a couple of people that have had to replace the capacitor.

I have attached the Starcool III flowchart I made a while back, it may help.

I am kind of busy this week, but may be able to aid next week being as your just down the road a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starcool III flowchart.pdf (735.8 KB, 10 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #18

Scalf77/Greg -- where in your diagram is the Capacitor located ? Guessing its located within the compressor housing ? Any suggestions on where it might be sourced by Wichiee and others (being so old !) ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:50 AM   #19

On Startcool III it is in a gray electrical box under van (next to AC comp) along with the relay. On Wichiee's it is obviously in that whole Danhard box.

I don't know the replacement part needed. I never needed to even open the gray box, so no personal experience on replacing it. More important than the actual part number, would be what value of the cap is.

As I said I know a couple of members have replaced the a bad cap, so they might know.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #20

Capacitor is in the wiring box under the van, usually near the secondary fan and the 100vac compressor. I sourced mine from the local HVAC distributor using the part number on the existing one. I added a soft-start capacitor in-line at the same time (easy), and also replaced the relays just to have it all new. There’s a post somewhere on the forum from years ago when I did it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, danhard, starcool