Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Aftermarket TPMS system

Hi all. I recently purchased a new to me 2008 SMB 6.0 4x4 and it came with the Hella TPMS system which isn’t currently working. I am going to get some new wheels and tires and was curious what this information and experience rich forum would recommend as far as replacing this old, quirky (based on a decent amount of information gained from older posts regarding this system) with. I do understand that nothing beats checking your pressures manually, and that is not a problem, but I do see significant safety increases with the ability to be forewarned that a tire may be losing or gaining pressure while driving down the freeway or for the trips when my wife is heading somewhere. It is apparent that the factory Ford system will not work as it can’t be adapted to the new pressures you run on these modified vans, but if something has changed with all the aftermarket computer programmers I would like to use it, and keep that light off if possible. Any and all advice and/or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Ps, sorry if this is in the wrong section-
Attached Thumbnails
A8C9B236-AB96-4182-8BC7-E517EAFA6518.jpg  

Old 12-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

I ran a unit made by these guys https://pressurepro.us/recreational/ , the installation thread here:. You can purchase their products at Tirepressuremonitor.com
The newer equivalent model would be the Pulse, or you could use the FX and your phone or tablet. If I needed to air down I just removed the sensors, and turned off the unit ( pulled power on mine). In the eight years I had it on the rig, I never had a sensor stolen.

All in all a solid unit, which I kind of miss. My new transit has factory pressure monitoring. The pressurepro unit would also alarm you on tire temp.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I ran a unit made by these guys https://pressurepro.us/recreational/ , the installation thread here:. You can purchase their products at Tirepressuremonitor.com
The newer equivalent model would be the Pulse, or you could use the FX and your phone or tablet. If I needed to air down I just removed the sensors, and turned off the unit ( pulled power on mine). In the eight years I had it on the rig, I never had a sensor stolen.

All in all a solid unit, which I kind of miss. My new transit has factory pressure monitoring. The pressurepro unit would also alarm you on tire temp.

-greg

That’s great. I presume the sensors open up the valve when you screw them on to monitor the tire’s pressure? And then seal when you unscrew them? Or do you replace the valve core with a different one?

Thanks Greg.

Kenny.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherhalfjap@yahoo.com View Post
That’s great. I presume the sensors open up the valve when you screw them on to monitor the tire’s pressure? And then seal when you unscrew them? Or do you replace the valve core with a different one?

Thanks Greg.

Kenny.
Correct , sensors open up the valve when you screw them on to monitor the tire’s pressure? And then valve seals when you unscrew them.

-greg
Old 12-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #5

Garage
@Greg, On your Van did your system need to utilize a signal booster? or just a head unit with the 4 tire caps?
Old 12-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
@Greg, On your Van did your system need to utilize a signal booster? or just a head unit with the 4 tire caps?
Just the head unit with the caps, no booster needed.

-greg
Old 12-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Just the head unit with the caps, no booster needed.

-greg
That’s good to hear. Anyone else have good or bad experiences with any other systems?
Old 12-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #8

We are traveling full time, towing a 29' 1976 Airstream and running with an aftermarket DILL TPMS (sensors inside each tire) for the past 10+ years. The DILL system has been accurate and worked every time there was a puncture or a slow pressure leak. I also have an Eaton TrueTrack rear diff that needs to have tire pressures that are within 3# of each of them.

The DILL tire sensor batteries are good for at least 4 years. Five years ago we spent 5 months driving through BC, the Yukon and Alaska. Before leaving I had all 8 sensors replaced with a new set by an America's Tire shop not far from the Canadian border. The system worked flawlessly through Canada, Alaska and on our return trip to Arizona.

Over the next 18 months, a sensor and battery would have to be replaced because the batteries were drained and the sensors stopped working. The only explanation is the America's Tire in Washington either got the sensors mixed up when installing them or someone found a way to sell the new sensors to someone else. When I called the America's Tire in AZ the tec I talked to said he did not doubt the new sensors were either accidentally mixed in with the old sensors when they were on the work bench or someone saw a good way to resell the new sensors.

But, because the system worked so well when all of the sensors were working, I replaced the sensors as they failed. I am now at the point that I have to replace four of the sensors. Last month I called DILL to order new sensors and was told that DILL was no longer making the aftermarket system. To keep this in perspective the system worked the way it was supozed to up until the sensor batteries died.

Last year I did a search for an aftermarket TPMS that would replace the DILL hardware but was not impressed with the alternatives I found so...I bought a new DILL TPMS aftermarket kit. It should last another 4 years. By that time I hope another company will be producing an aftermarket system that I can install in my van and trailer.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #9

TPMS systems are always being discussed/reviewed on Sportsmobile's sister sites IRV2.com. Personally I use an EEZ TPMS system, which is pretty bare bones but works fine. Most of those discussed on these two sites involve screw-on sensors rather than sensors built in to the valve stem. In terms of screw-on sensors, there are two different types, flowthrough and non-flowthrough sensors. It's my understanding that the flowthrough sensors can be subject to clogging.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tpms...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I should have clarified that flowthrough sensors don't have to be removed to fill your tires while non-flowthrough sensors do. They're no more difficult to remove than a valve cap unless you go the "theft proof" option which requires a special tool.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

Thank you for the detailed answer and links. Very helpful ��