Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #17

Re: Deaver Springs to order - total vehicle weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
.........cut......

To me the difference off road is that the Deaver Springs make me feel like I'm aired down to 35 pounds.

I've posted before about the switch from SMB's 2006 springs to the Deaver's. Every time I do some kind of upgrade here comes all the extra crap. I now expect it.
Pros:
>>Much smoother. I can drive over some of the worst speed bumps and not feel much.
>>Gained 2+ inches on the lift.
>>Interior doesn't vibrate apart like it did in the past.
>>Got better shocks out of the deal.

Cons:
<<Additional lift made it difficult to get into my van. Had to buy power steps
<<Made my brand new 285's look stupid on the van and had to go with 315's
<<Had to cut back the front fenders because with the sway bar cut loose the tires try to eat the flares
<<The van doesn't take cornering as well. Even with the 285's the springs just allow a bit more sway. The 315's made it a bit worse.

.......cut.........
From your description it sounds to me like the new springs are probably less stiff than the previous, so they improve ride quality under most conditions; but the down side is that softer springs generally allow for greater roll, or sway in turns. Adding taller tires probably doesn't help either because they may compress more unless overinflated. And if tires compress more then it has a secondary effect on suspension because it loads springs more during higher-speed turns due to slight lateral shift in center of gravity.

I think you are right that many changes we make to vehicles have compromises. The good news in your case is that you are happy with the revised set up. Many times changes don't turn out as well.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote