Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Also mounting leafs to the front of the crumple zone is a huge no-no as well, unless it’s reinforced. That van was most likely a home build, and it probably was not really drivable

Is the concern here that the crumple zone region of the frame is not structurally able to withstand the loads imparted by the leaf springs?

The UJOR leaf spring bracket also mounts over the crumple zone region, but I suppose it is has more reinforcement. I suppose this detracts from the frame's ability to crumple under impact, though.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Plastic Research View Post
B rock. What’s your plan next ?
I have a MG kit + SD axles that have been neglected in the garage. I'm just about wrapped up with the WJ axle and a long string of house projects, so the van can finally the attention it deserves.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #13

Right on.

I am heading towards a leaf sprung front end.

Just working out some ideas in Solidworks as to which direction to go.

As always, I want to do some of the kit stuff myself.

Let me know if I am crazy, but a set of 6" lift F350 leafs with custom hangers would fit fine, and be easily replaceable with off the shelf parts.

Very rough model at this point that I will have to confirm with measurements.
Creative Plastic Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #14

Is that a 2021+ frame cad model?

Maybe I'm just the (un)lucky one but I've been scolded by Ford in the past for posting photos of their CAD models online. Lots of people do it and don't get any threatening letters so I don't know what the criteria is or why/how Ford was made aware of what I had posted. I did have to jump through some hoops to retain my access to OEM CAD though. Did you sign any non-disclosures to get access to that model? Member of the TechTransfer program?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #15

Hey MG,

Thanks for the heads up. I removed the image, don't need any grief from Ford.

I have years of random SW files, from different industries and jobs, this is an 09-14 model.

Edit to add; this is for home purpose only, I have no intention of selling anything I create, just an engineer dude geeking out on his own projects.
Creative Plastic Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Is the concern here that the crumple zone region of the frame is not structurally able to withstand the loads imparted by the leaf springs?

The UJOR leaf spring bracket also mounts over the crumple zone region, but I suppose it is has more reinforcement. I suppose this detracts from the frame's ability to crumple under impact, though.
Yes, that's exactly it. The crumple zone is not intended to be stiff. U-Joint brackets restore the structural stiffness, although that would come at the expense of collision-energy-mitigation. FWIW - Ford did not have a crumple zone on the leaf-sprung pickups and Excursions, but they also weren't tested to the same passenger-vehicle standard that the vans were.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #17

In a van with a short nose, I would think the real world benefit of a crumple zone is negligible at best.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote