Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

Members in Oregon ? Assistance ?

Greetings -- I am seeking a SMB Owner/anyone from Portland, Oregon area who might agree to assist me in possibly inspecting a SMB for sale that I have come across (?). The current owner and I have emailed back and forth a couple of times - I've seen lots of photos and accessory listing. The rig is crated and ready for shipping to me/anyone buying - with $$ to be sent to shipping broker - van then shipped to me/buyer with 7 days to inspect - and if not appearing as described/acceptable - seller will pay for return shipping.

Price is $ 36TH for a 2010 Fiberine topped rig with 44,500 miles. Photos of rig show quite nicely -- just concerned about whether this rig is mechanically sound and clear title, etc. Sent seller "my" conditions for inspecting, etc., waiting for a reply -- seller states he works offshore oil rigs - and is "offline" due to location for several days at a time.

Thoughts ? If this gets off the ground I would be happy to compensate the local person for their time. Appreciate your honest feedback -- Stay Safe !

Email please at - russgutshall@hotmail.com -- I could forward sellers photos/correspondence for your review.

Russ Gutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

That’s a very typical scam. Crated and ready to ship is a big red flag. Do a search and you’ll see. Run away! I’m sure if you ask to see it in person they will back off.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a scam. A pretty classic one at that. Doubly so since they list it in Portland. Put any camper van on Craigslist and you’ll have a line of folks waiving cash in your face. Nobody would ever need to “crate” their van or otherwise plan on shipping it from the NW. Anybody from out of state would surely want to take advantage of the location and road trip from here.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

Hi Russ, That is such a scam that your post asking to review it sounds like an email phishing scam. I know your not a scammer because of your previous posts. If your feeling adventurous post up any pictures the "seller" sent you as the membership here is so familiar with the fleet of vans in the world someone will likely recognize where they stole the pictures from.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Run away, and run far and fast. I will say the offshore oil rig worker is a new twist. Usually it's an overseas member of the military.

The pics and description were likely harvested from an actual ad (could be a years-old ad).

Herb
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #6

Thanks all for replies - truthfully - from the first moment I was contacted by seller on this van - I was skeptic and "the hair on my neck" stood up - but thought I would "ask the experts." My thanks on your honest assessment !! Ya'll stay safe out there !
Russ Gutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #7

Garage
If it seems too good to be true...
Oil Rigs have internet access so no reason to be "off line" for any extended period of time. Then take into account the cost to ship a crated Van, let alone ship it back if you were not satisfied???
Cant imagine how many people have paid for this education.