Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #91

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Re toilets, most insurance companies use the IRS requirement which refers to "permanently attached toilet facilities". It seems that a creative person could glue a few straps to their pottie and then thumb screw those straps to the wall. When you look at the "permanent" construction of a marine head, it's not much more than than anyways.

Another option is a dry composting toilet like the Nature's Head. We love ours.

Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #92

We have Progressive (CA) for our 2006 4wd EB50. Pay $1000 year replacement value of $100k. Just had a claim (wheel fell off ). Customer service and coverage was fantastic. Occasional comparison shopping results in much higher costs. Would recommend them.
Jahoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #93
Site Team

Garage

Here is link to the owners group from way back. A lot of the same questions. I seem to remember one or two that totaled out their rigs.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/spo ... sage/24120

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #94

My van is insured through progressive $550 a year with a $65000 replacement value. If you are on there web site they have camper van in the drop down menu.
tuffcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #95
Site Team

Garage

All I hope is that my insurance pays off if something bad happens to me.

Just because you have insurance doesn't mean they will honor the policy. It's the fine print that might kill you. I just don't want to see anybody getting screwed. Good luck folks.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #96

It's been a while since anyone has provided an update on who might be providing the best coverages for the money.

I don't have a 4x4 SMB but I will have a Sprinter SMB someday.

What's going on with insurance these days?

Thanks.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #97

State farm insured our new 2012 smb sprinter for full replacement cost for $650/6 mo. aK residents
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #98

Yeah, I had a conversation with my AAA rep and got alarmed when she informed me that it wasn't "RV" coverage. They had inspected it, but the inventory doesn't show that it's 4WD, for example. And that doesn't show in some of the blue book evaluations.

And speaking of that, when I went online for a Progressive quote it showed my 2001 SMB as worth 17700, which is probably at least $8K low if current SMB West listings are any indication.

I could live with the discrepancy (when a vehicle gets older, especially one you've modified, you're never gonna get a good price for it...it's always worth more to you) if perhaps the insurance came with some RV goodies like towing, contents insurance, travel insurance, etc. Perhaps I should check Good Sam or others.

EDIT: called Good Sam (think it was really GMAC); they say 4WD conversion is a prohibited activity hence won't cover. And Progressive said they wouldn't write it as an RV if there was no toilet installed despite listing Sportsmobile models, most of which we know don't have toilets. But before all you Progressive-insureds panic, I'm gonna call an agent and see if they'll write an RV policy with proper documentation it's an RV. In the end, it's all about the agreement: if you can document they agreed to cover it as is as an RV, you should be good to go.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #99

Just got "Agreed Value", comprehensive coverage on my van and YukonXL through American General- Chrome Coverage. Chrome is for collectibles, speciality veeks and other oddities such as quads and jetskis. My van was covered under their "modern classic" category, and the price is about $150/semester more than my GMAC-Good Sam Coverage that only covered the van's original cost... about 1/5 the coverage I have now. You have to get photo'd and appraised, not a problem here.

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Just got "Agreed Value", comprehensive coverage on my van and YukonXL through American General- Chrome Coverage. Chrome is for collectibles, speciality veeks and other oddities such as quads and jetskis. My van was covered under their "modern classic" category, and the price is about $150/semester more than my GMAC-Good Sam Coverage that only covered the van's original cost... about 1/5 the coverage I have now. You have to get photo'd and appraised, not a problem here.
Never heard of American General; is that ANPAC? I know they do agree value for kit cars (and they have a CHROME thing too).

I'm gonna talk to an agent SMB West referred me to, Justin on Monday. I figure that I should definitely go through an agent so that there's a paper trail about what we've agreed to insure.

Rob