Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Did you ever post what it is you're looking for in a rig? Have you seen the 2014 that was a SEMA vehicle for Optima Batteries?
I think that one had a lot of people drooling... Unfortunately it's already sold.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #42

Yeah, I know, there are a lot of bad, cut-throat people out there, but it still is appalling when it happens. That said, I'd rather react the way I do, perplexed and upset, instead of being numb to it and shrugging my shoulders. Just an indication that I indeed have positive character traits and will endeavor to hold others to a high and moral standard as well. I just wanted it so badly, and was next in line for the deposit (he had already held the Friday one), but, well, we all know what happened next. Good thing I never wanted to go into politics!
Old 06-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
Well, wait, maybe I was asking too many technical questions he couldn't answer, and that unnerved him. [insert eye roll]

Anybody else have any more theories I can punch a hole though?
It may well have been your questions.. that’s my point above. If you want it, buy it.

And mind you, I’m not making judgement on good or bad or whether this is right or wrong.. I’m just stating the way things work.

He’s got two people interested.. one is you from far away, with a bunch of questions and wants to fly down and see it and inspect it before maybe buying it. The other interested party says hey, what’s your ABA routing and account number as I want to wire you the $90,000. Who are you going to sell to?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
It may well have been your questions.. that’s my point above. If you want it, buy it.

And mind you, I’m not making judgement on good or bad or whether this is right or wrong.. I’m just stating the way things work.

He’s got two people interested.. one is you from far away, with a bunch of questions and wants to fly down and see it and inspect it before maybe buying it. The other interested party says hey, what’s your ABA routing and account number as I want to wire you the $90,000. Who are you going to sell to?
So you're saying that you'd buy something for 90 grand without asking questions? For real? And during our conversations, I found out that 3 of the 4 tires he bought blew out on the freeway and damaged the obsolete retractable running board on one side (which was cosmetic so it didn't bother me). Had I immediately forked over 100g on the last SMB I was interested in, I would've ended up with one labeled a "lemon" on it's title. No joke. Buyer beware....questions are not only important, but mandatory in my book for a purchase like this. How can anyone argue with that?

Furthermore, everything you're saying is just pure conjecture on your part. I talked to the SMB point-person. The guy who got it only put down the $5000 non-refundable deposit. I had the exact same thing to offer which he PROMISED to honor, and a cashier's check to follow. No financing, easy squeezy. AND I would've driven away with it on Saturday, not tomorrow.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck."
Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #45

Quote:
So you're saying that you'd buy something for 90 grand without asking questions? For real? And during our conversations, I found out that 3 of the 4 tires he bought blew out on the freeway and damaged the obsolete retractable running board on one side (which was cosmetic so it didn't bother me). Had I immediately forked over 100g on the last SMB I was interested in, I would've ended up with one labeled a "lemon" on it's title. No joke. Buyer beware....questions are not only important, but mandatory in my book for a purchase like this. How can anyone argue with that?

Furthermore, everything you're saying is just pure conjecture on your part. I talked to the SMB point-person. The guy who got it only put down the $5000 non-refundable deposit. I had the exact same thing to offer which he PROMISED to honor, and a cashier's check to follow. No financing, easy squeezy. AND I would've driven away with it on Saturday, not tomorrow.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck."
He's saying that if a seller has two options for buyers and one is ready to pull the trigger and the other is asking tons of questions, he'll probably sell it to the person ready to pull the trigger without the questions. Most buyers will ask questions, especially if they're more than a quick drive away. But the path of least resistance will win between the two.

Also, rallypanam has probably bought and sold more SMB's than anyone else on this forum. He's got plenty of experience in the matter.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
He's saying that if a seller has two options for buyers and one is ready to pull the trigger and the other is asking tons of questions, he'll probably sell it to the person ready to pull the trigger without the questions. Most buyers will ask questions, especially if they're more than a quick drive away. But the path of least resistance will win between the two.

Also, rallypanam has probably bought and sold more SMB's than anyone else on this forum. He's got plenty of experience in the matter.
Perhaps I'd accept this process had I called on Saturday morning like the guy who bought it, and started asking a slew of questions then. But I didn't. All of my questions were done on Thursday, and I didn't call him once on Friday since he said he'd call after his showing. Furthermore, I was of no burden to him whatsoever on Saturday. You have no idea how low maintenence I was trying to make this. It was an indefensible and inexcusable act he pulled with no good reason, and he knew it.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #47
KDB

SMB point person? Hmmm.... Not direct? ok. Doubtful it has anything AT ALL to do with the fact your a woman. Someone selling a van out from underneath another buyer happens ALL day EVERY day. Nothing unusual. Probably got a fast offer and as the adage goes a hen in the hand....
OR (and im sure a few have bitten there tongue here already) from what i've gathered via your conduct here on this forum with people trying to give advice and keep your spirits up...he simply didn't like you. Maybe that got in the way somehow. On the brighter side, you'll find the van of your dreams. Keep looking. Good luck on your hunt and keep in mind you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Practice makes perfect.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #48

IMO, as upsetting as it was, you’re better off not having purchased that van. Better off learning about the seller’s true character before you spent the $ rather than after buying the van and finding out the hard way that he had lied about the condition, omitted the truth, cut corners or otherwise cheated you. Morals and honor affect every aspect of a person’s life and the decisions they make.

Sorry to be so preachy, but on another note have considered renting a SMB or similar adventure van for you and your soon to enjoy this summer?

-Ed
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
IMO, as upsetting as it was, you’re better off not having purchased that van. Better off learning about the seller’s true character before you spent the $ rather than after buying the van and finding out the hard way that he had lied about the condition, omitted the truth, cut corners or otherwise cheated you. Morals and honor affect every aspect of a person’s life and the decisions they make.

Sorry to be so preachy, but on another note have considered renting a SMB or similar adventure van for you and your soon to enjoy this summer?

-Ed
Yes I totally agree. It may likely be a dodged bullet.

And I'm only answering these queries on here because I'm clarifying things that are misinterpreted or misconstrued. And contrary to what ya'll think, I really do appreciate peoples' responses, I've just sent out a lot of private "thank yous" so I don't flood the thread. And I am a nice person. Unless I get lied to.

And yes!! We are considering that! It is definitely on our list--it's barely been above 70 here all summer, and we need to either go east or south for some sun
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #50

Quote:
So you're saying that you'd buy something for 90 grand without asking questions? For real?
Me? Heck no. But lots of people out there that will.

Quote:
How can anyone argue with that?
I'm not arguing that, I think you did the smart thing and ask questions.

Quote:
Furthermore, everything you're saying is just pure conjecture on your part.
Totally true. But as mikracer says.. I've bought and sold a bunch of vans. At one point a few years ago I would have claimed I had looked at every SMB for sale publicly in the country, and could probably tell you who bought a third of them.. I am a little out of practice now though!

But again, I'm not attacking you, you don't need to defend yourself against me.. I'm just saying this is how the market works. Other guy (or girl) got their deposit in first and got the van.
Closed Thread