Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I was wondering who (corporate or SMB West) was the champion for the new SMB Classic line and if it will be impacted.
That was all SMB West.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm not seeing a major consequence or impact, just a fork in the road for SMB West.

Herb
Old 09-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #13

I'm wondering if this is a move to give SMB West the freedom to evolve different designs beyond what the Sportsmobile contracts allow. Over the last 8 years or so , and since #Vanlife, there are so many other builders now with newly desirable designs and features to compete with. This will probably work out to be a good thing in the end.

It wouldn't surprise me if moving the whole operation to Reno,NV isn't in the plans as well.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #14

Does this mean no more low top vans with Pop Tops coming out of SMB West though starting July 2021? Pop Tops and floor plan names are probably the only Sportsmobile IP at this point. Maybe some of the cabinet designs too I guess.

I am thinking that the majority of their new builds were high top Sprinters/Transits and everybody and their brother with a couple of power tools are building those these days so there can't be too much SMB IP inside those vans. SMBW designed and created the SMB 4x4 system so they will probably keep that IP, correct?

The SMB Classic uses a Pop Top so I wonder what happens with that design/IP?
Old 09-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #15

Maybe they will get some new molds and mechanisms that will allow for wider beds and taller pop tops like CCV...
Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I'm wondering if this is a move to give SMB West the freedom to evolve different designs beyond what the Sportsmobile contracts allow. Over the last 8 years or so , and since #Vanlife, there are so many other builders now with newly desirable designs and features to compete with. This will probably work out to be a good thing in the end.

It wouldn't surprise me if moving the whole operation to Reno,NV isn't in the plans as well.

- Eric
That was a plan years back... at least dealing with Cal regulation. There was some talk about them feeling that Reno is more locally accessible to mid sections of the US and PNW. A lot of vehicles are picked up in Reno to get around California's BS tax rules and registration for those purchasing from out of state. I'm sure the recent events can play a role how they view a move though. Both the Classic and Fuso were SMBW's projects. My guess is the CA shop will stay open, possibly as a corporate head quarters and repair center. I do hope they stay in Fresno for repairs.

I'd like to see a new concept vehicle; something more 4x4 capable than a Sprinter/promaster but sized similar to an E-series yet not so large that it be difficult to travel more aggressive trails. I hope they don't warp into a typical motorhome type design but that seems to be the money maker. The new Jeep pickup is screaming for some kind of off road camper. I'd even considering down sizing for a well thought out design.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #17

Garage
Not sure what plans were in play , My thoughts are if they could have come to an agreement to continue with the name Alan would have . its Iconic! The benefits of having R&D free of constraints will be a good but the current global situation makes getting even the simplest parts of a build complicated.
The Fresno division is much more specialized and the largest of the other divisions, their global builds to fulfill their foreign orders could keep them busy alone once the non complete is over with .
rumrunner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #18

So if you want a new build by SMB West, camp out on their doorstep overnight on June 30 2021 to be their first order on July 1
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpau00 View Post
So if you want a new build by SMB West, camp out on their doorstep overnight on June 30 2021 to be their first order on July 1
Sounds like a non-compete clause.
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #20

Same folks, same problems?

A rose by any other name? I've been waiting for 2 weeks for an answer to a pretty simple question I emailed concerning my penthouse. But maybe they were just too busy doing high level corporate business. So i"ll do what I knew I should have to begin with. Ask the Forum Gurus. I am certain that the combined knowledge of Forum members is far greater than that of the company (corporate or West) that built these lovable beasts.
Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote