Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Wind Noise from PH

We just picked up our new to us SMB in Austin and drove it home to Denver. The cabin was rather noisy from wind. I call SMB to see if the noise was normal and their suggestion was to tighten the clamps down on the top, which helped immensely. I was looking into options of replacing the seal around the bottom of the fiberglass top with something bigger and softer since the original (from 2006) seemed OK, but not soft enough or big enough to touch the top in all places to give a better seal (I am afraid to crank the top down any more to make the seals touch). This search led me to some rubber seals that might work on the lip of the PH, but difficult to glue on or attach in some other manner. I know SMB sells replacements, but I think they be just the same as what I have. Then I thought the easiest thing would be to buy flat weather seal and attach it to the roof. This would let to old seal on the PH top make contact with the seal attached to the roof. The seal would obviously have to be wide enough to take into account fluctuations in where the top was ultimately lowered to.

Anybody have any experience with this or ideas? Just seems like getting the fiberglass lip to seal to the roof all the way around would make the ride a whole lot quieter. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Re: Wind Noise from PH

Do you have a roof rack? If so, that is where the noise is coming from. Mine makes no noise, or at least it hasn't since I removed SMBs original chrome roof rack bars from 1995. I did this the day I bought mine.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

No roof racks, but I do have a SMB installed solar panel.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Assuming that you have an Econoline, the outer penthouse rubber seal won't seal the roof channels in front of the PH (above the cab) without some moderate to major rework. Stick your head up there and take a look.

I don't notice that my roof has added much wind noise but when I mounted my solar panel up there sideways without a fairing it roared.....

I'm presently reworking the solar mounting with a fairing and mounting the panel lengthwise on the top of the roof behind the fairing
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #5

You may also want to check your door seals for air leaks/noise. I get more wind noise from my old door seals than I do from the penthouse.
larrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I don't hear much noise but do notice that air tends to bellow out the front window at high speeds. I don't know if a well sealed top will completely keep air or water out. I had considered blocking the roof channels but wondered if doing so would help trap water. I'd rather let the channels drain.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #7

Garage

Not sure I can contribute anything more than what has been said. I have a 2006 and don't have an issue with noise from the top. Any noise coming from the roof are the cross bars or kayak saddles and that doesn't seem to be too bad. Putting the kayaks on top is another story!
I've never had to tighten the j-hooks for the top. They are snug but it doesn't take that much muscle to manipulate the clamp.
Check doors and windows though. Make sure those are sealed well.

Mike
Old 01-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Do your tops seat right onto the roof of the van? It seems mine are never going to sit on the roof, even if I got a perfect "straight down" seat/seal.

Door seals are really good. I guess I could run masking tape around the top (and to the roof) to see if it might be the solar or something else. It's relatively quiet now, but just thinking it could be better.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRDenver
No roof racks, but I do have a SMB installed solar panel.
Is the solar panel attached to the PH roof, or Yakima/Thule tracks? If it is on the tracks, could you move it rearward and see if there's a difference in sound?

Herb
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

Solar is bolted directly to the top. I might tape it up also to see if that helps.