Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #31

Re: Introduction and Beginning our Adventure

I think we have a plan. Blue-taping the van to see how things layout. Hard to get a feel only in 2-D but spacing looks good. Also checked with SMB and shouldn't be a problem.

Again, pretty much the same as Sherman. Will extend the driver side gaucho or dinette as long as possible toward the rear chair. Might be able to get about 60 inches. Luckily we are hobbit size.

The exact cabinet locations may need to be modified based on how things open and closes.

Right now thinking of going with the dove gray cabinets and light gray-dark gray two tone leather seats. Any feedback on if it is hard to keep the white color clean. The other option is the maple finish. Love to see some pictures of both colors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0230.jpg   floor plan modified dinette reduced size.png  

danhtran1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #32

In a prior design, you had the sink/stove behind the rear passenger seat (across from the gaucho). The benefit in having it across from the gaucho is that you can sit on the bench and cook or do whatever. If you have it in the rear across from the shower, you would have to kneel back there if the top was down. I'm just thinking all around usage in the event that you pulled over and wanted to use the appliances with the top down.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #33

Excellent comment about moving the Galley back to across gaucho seat for reasons stated.

I would also put the cabinets in rear especially if tall so not to block views. If moved to rear may block rear view slightly.

Thought I would mention that I bought a large thule cargo box for rear hitch as gives me extra storage space equal to a trunk as not much space inside Van.

If you do Voyager top perhaps you can have sleeping area created for front and rear to give you 2 sleeping areas up top.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #34

Thanks for the good feedback. These are the little things you don't know unless you have first hand experience. I originally had it in front then moved it to the back to give more room across from the shower. Should still be plenty of room so will put the sink and counter back for the final build. We will not have a stove but still good idea to see out the window.

We will be doing the voyager top. Never thought about doing sleeping areas front and back. Does anyone have such a setup. Love to see and hear how that setup works. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

I wish I'd had gone with Gray and Charcoal Gray over white. I didn't want it too dark but it sure won't hurt to go darker than white. White just shows so much and is a PITA IMO. That magic eraser is always on board and works well to remove marks and what not.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
In a prior design, you had the sink/stove behind the rear passenger seat (across from the gaucho). The benefit in having it across from the gaucho is that you can sit on the bench and cook or do whatever. If you have it in the rear across from the shower, you would have to kneel back there if the top was down. I'm just thinking all around usage in the event that you pulled over and wanted to use the appliances with the top down.
You can also drop the floor rear of the axle, and actually have a stand-up galley even with the top down and under the rear header.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #37

Hey Dan I think I mentioned this on the phone, but here's a pic showing that extension in the back roof area. It extends about halfway into the shower basin. Makes the shower location a sit down shower, which we don't mind. This would also prevent you from working comfortably in the back if the galley is located there. Again not sure if SMB W does their roof like this. The point made above about using the gaucho to sit on while working at the sink/stove is very important to us, can't imagine having to be on my knees all the time.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #38

First, a happy new year to all and hope everyone had a great holiday season. Getting back into it and hope to finalize things before heading to SMB February 18th.

My floor plan is pretty much done. Now the tricky part is to decide on what to do. Due to the schedule, timing, and mostly finance, looks like we will have to do the build in two phases. Waiting on Jonathan to hear how much all this fun is going to set us back. Based on my discussion with him, not the end of the world to do it in couple phases. He suggests doing the voyager top with bed, fan, windows, maybe the two rear captain's seats, and floor covering.

Questions: Do you recommend or is there a way to also do the solar system and batteries. It be nice to be able to use that and not worry about killing the main battery. Is there other alternatives to achieve the same thing, even if temporarily. Also considering doing the sink and counter with a microwave. Don't cut in the sink at this time since no water and just use it for counter space.

Completely open to all suggestions. Just trying to get the van to a good point so we can enjoy it this summer and join some of the amazing meet ups.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #39

There are independent solar installers all over the place will do cheaper but you should havr SMB pre wire.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #40

I would wait on installing solar power until you've taken a few trips, I've had mine out this winter on some extended fishing trips with no shortage of power.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote